PS Plus “contributing in a big way” to increased PSN sales

Friday, 26th October 2012 02:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Premium subscription offer PlayStation Plus is going from strength to strength, and driving up sales elsewhere on the PlayStation Network.

A SCE America representative told GamesIndustry that 97% of PlayStation Plus users report being happy with the service, the highest satisfaction in its history, while 93% intend to renew.

“The success of PS Plus is contributing in a big way to driving overall PSN sales, as our last quarter was the biggest in terms of transactional sales in PSN’s six-year history,” she added.

The announcement of PlayStation Plus’s Instant Collection scheme, which provides full games each month which the user can download and keep until their subscription expires, seems to have driven interest up.

“The immediate consumer reaction was completely off the charts, and membership sales more than doubled during the week of E3,” the representative said.

Executive John Koller said Plus would be a “significant” part of Sony’s marketing efforts over the next few years,

“Since E3, we’ve seen a significant rise in PlayStation Plus adoption and we’ll be utilising this,” he said.

“This is a nice weapon in our arsenal that we’ll be utilising.”

“The new consumers who are coming in in particular, which is what I’m looking at here, if we can introduce them to PlayStation Plus and this instant game collection idea, you’re bringing them into a world that may be a bit foreign to them if they don’t own a system this current cycle,” he said.

“So that comfort level is important to us, it’s important to publishers, it’s important I think to most people in this industry that we get them comfortable with digital content.”

1. ps3fanboy

psn plus can go to hell FOR ALL I CARE… FIX THE SINGSTAR SCANDAL ASAP!!

2. ps3fanboy

this psn plus service is just a rental service you cant keep your stuff without keep paying(they dont tell you about that!)… on the official ps forums you get people daily complaining about their dlc and game disappear all the time because they don’t know… and don’t forget the psn plus is on auto charge.. so if you you forget, it will just grab your money without asking, it is to a scam!

3. ps3fanboy

about the singstar scandal… they put that singstar in their ofw update and now it start up every time you gonna play a game on your ps3. without a choice of delete it or move it to a folder.. and when people started to complain about it on the official site, they throw in this Nina Scherer person to insult everyone.. just look it up, its over 800 people complaing and more on the ps forums..

link:

this is just the start…. sony just sit on their arses and do nothing.. it is gonna be the end of sony.

4. ejams

…Says the PS3 “Fanboy”.

I’m truly satisfied with Plus though. Even if it means I don’t get to keep the games forever, it doesn’t matter a whole lot because once you’re finished a game, there’s always something new on offer.

Plus(no pun intended), I’ll continue renewing my subscription for as long as it remains as quality as it is right now.

5. ps3fanboy

i see your a casual gamer then and like to throw your money in the toilet, for digital fun that last a couple of hours…. you know i can still play my atari2600 games i bought in the 1980. you dont see the big picture here at all…. lets take an example, lets say there is a game thats is called mario bros, lets give access to it for a limited time and not let people buy it. you know what happens?…. there would be no mario today. because the game was not bought by millions and then given to the next generation for free for generations as people got older. what you will end up with in todays gaming world in the 10-20 years of gaming you got no games as legendary as mario anymore(if you think mario was a bad example then put your favorite game in there instead of it). you only got crap, no identity games no one care about… the culture of games are at stake here and it is nothing to kid about. the history is disappearing into the nothing.

6. SuperGuyverUSA

@ps3fanboy

… Dude, chill out. I’m a big Sony fan as well, but I’m not complaining about PS Plus. If you think about it, it’s actually a good deal. With PS Plus, you can get free games, free betas, discounts on games, and so on. Sounds great, so of course it’s going to have a price. You buy PS Plus, get tons of stuff that not everybody can get, and when you want to access them and more, you pay a fee. $60 was it? For a year? Sounds good to me, and I’m a hardcore gamer.

7. Dragon246

“Koller said the package is particularly attractive to new users, who find instant Colelction particularly appealing as they don’t already own as many games as a veteran, and to those who aren’t yet comfortable with digital content in general.”
    Exactly. New users have instant access to some of the best games this gen for a fraction of cost.

For whiners whining about rental, isnt it the same with amazon prime, hulu, espn, netflix and countless other services? This stupid argument is only given by those who dont have a plus sub.
    And tell me something, how many really visit a game to play it again 6months/1 year after they have played it?

8. ps3fanboy

@SuperGuyverUSA

what it comes down to is… you want to rent or own.. you want to play it 10 years from now or not. if your hardcore you want to play the game 10 years from now, and pass on to grandchild so they enjoy the game too. but i fear games just gonna end up as a bad itunes song that ain’t worth the crap.. if so why are you paying the prices of the product of today. its all junk throw away…

9. ps3fanboy

@Dragon246

you heard about retro games, it have a big scene out there even 30 years later. its a reason why people remember mario,pac man, space invaders etc… its because people can still play these games today… in the future of yours, that is rental games you will have nothing of that.

10. loveaya

ps3fanboy is really sick. For example, Now Resident Evil 5 Golden Edition is free for EU PS+. But i really don’t care about it. Why? Because i’ve bought Resident Evil 5 on its launch day and all the dlcs so totally 90 euros.

If u really like a game, u should grab it when it’s released or shortly after its release. Not until PS+ offers u a free game. Why PS+ offers us the free games? Maybe before we missed some games because of lack of money or time. Now it’s time to pick them up. U get a free game on its launch day? It’s obviously a PSN game not a 3A game.

ps3fanboy is always talking some vintage games. Why? u are so proud of your vintage game collection or what?

In the report it mentions that 97% of PS+ users are satisfied with the service. So i guess ps3fanboy is the other 3% of the never-satisfied core players. Maybe ps3fanboy is just a PSN user not a PS+ user.

11. Dragon246

He named himself that just for fun. Quite ironic.

Tell me about retro game sales figure.

12. Clupula

I’ve had a few free trials on it. If I bought less games, I’d think it was wonderful, but a lot of the stuff they offer is usually stuff I already have. I think it’s ridiculous, though, to whine about rentals and such. Digital download is the future and this also enables someone who just bought a PS3 to have a bunch of games right away.

I think it’s a positive as long as online multiplayer remains free. As for whining about it being on auto-renew, well, that’s why you do what I do and make a note for yourself of what day to unsubscribe. It’s not Sony’s fault if people don’t get their shit together.

Some of the discounts I’ve gotten on it, though, were just brilliant.

13. Clupula

And are people really being abusive towards a representative over an icon on your XMB? Really? I’m in the states, so I don’t have…or if we do, I’ve never noticed it, but either way, geez, people. I don’t play any of the Minis, but you don’t see me saying people should be fired because there’s an icon for it on my system. People are so spoiled.

14. Dragon246

They need something to rant about. Its internet.

15. speedxl01

The service is great, it’s 50 usd a year, I subscribed for 2 additional years this month, to take advantage of this promotion “Buy $100 on PSN in October, Get $20 PSN Credit”

with PLUS you get this:
    Instant Game Collection Access (12 instant FULL GAMES with 2 or 3 rotating each month) you keep this games as long as you are subscribed.
    Discounts from 20 to 80% (if you want to own your games you can always buy them)
    Full Game Trials
    Automatic Downloads
    Access to select avatars, themes, and other items t
    Select Early Demos
    Priority Beta Invitations

If you do not see value in paying $50 usd and getting those games and benefits then maybe the service is not for you.

But then again, it’s optional and a plus, unlike MS with it’s live service that charges you for something that should be free like online play.

16. mojo

12:
    You dont even need to remeber the date.
    Just go into settings and uncheck the auto renew box.

what ps3fanboy sais is utter bullshit.

“(they dont tell you about that!)… ”
    they do

“and don’t forget the psn plus is on auto charge.. so if you you forget, it will just grab your money without asking, it is to a scam!”
    per default it is, and i agree that this is bullshit, but on the other hand its a subscription. All subscriptions work like that, hence wh they are called subscription.
    If you dont want it to renew automaticaly you are perfectly fine to go into settings and uncheck the autorenew box.

and what are u complaining at all?
    Every single game on Plus can also be bought. So if u want to play it without haveing an active plus sub, buy it.
    With Plus u dont pay for the games, you pay for the service, which includes having access but not owning games in a traditional way. If u dont like it you can also buy these games.

17. DrDamn

Love PS+.

@ps3fanboy
    It’s a subscription service. This is really quite clear to all but people who don’t read. It’s also £2.50 a month if you got it on the recent £30 for a year deal (£3.33 regular price). What do you expect? You don’t keep them forever no, but you haven’t paid to keep them forever that’s kinda why.

It may not be value for people who tend to buy a lot of games and like their games on release, but for the vast majority it represents great value.

18. Christopher Jack

I don’t think any sort of subscription should automatically renew unless you choose to. I don’t like having to go back to say the gym & tell them not to renew then they say that it won’t only to be charged again & fight for your money back- same thing again with XBL Gold & PS+.

19. Da Man

What’s that, grunt246 fighting the Phony fight everywhere while calling people’s posts he can’t argue with ‘rants’? Shocker.

20. freedoms_stain

PS+ is only on auto-renew if you give them card details, but why would you when you can buy PS credit for less than its value at retail or online and pay with that with no auto-renewal?

Also I was well aware that you had to maintain your subscription to maintain access so I don’t know where this “you cant keep your stuff without keep paying(they dont tell you about that” bullshit comes in.

PS+ has been worth what I’ve paid and when I’m done with the service I won’t be too bothered about losing the games since I’ve already played them and I tend not to go back to games when I’m done with them.

21. livewired500

Usually I don’t think subscriptions like this are a very good deal. PSN+ is. I got it when it first started and made my $50 back in discounts in no time.

Yeah, the free games will go away if I don’t renew, but they were free. And who complains about free stuff? Not me.

Yes it renews automatically and I quite enjoy that because I would probably forget otherwise. I just wish that PSN+ had a family option like my XBL Gold Family. I would be happy to pay an extra $50 or so to add 3 PSNs.

All I know is XBL doesn’t give me cool free stuff every month.

22. Da Man

Tbh PSN+ is a shitty attempt at making inferior service popular by giving out seemingly ‘free’ games.

23. mojo

seeing everyone i know having plus is happy about it it cant be that shitty i guess.
    Fact is it gives u ridiculous value for little money

infact i havent bought a game since i got plus, simply because i cant even keep up the pace of the free games..
    i still have RDR, Just Cause, Deus Ex and Saints Row pretty much unplayed..

24. CycloneFox

Whenever you subscribe for something, it automatically extends after the minimum period expires. It is like this for magazine abos, contracts for internet/telephone, electricity, gas, just everything. Why should PS Plus handle it differently?

And are people here seriously complaining about the instant game collection? Why would anyone do that? When I truly want to own a game because of the collector’s value, or because I’m a fan of the series or the genre, then I don’t wait for a year or so until I can download it for free via PS Plus instant game collection. I buy it, the day it releases. And then I can still put out my PS3, Xbox360, PSOne, SNES or whatever after decades and play them. (Even if my SNES save data will be lost then) While on the other side, you may not be able to play a PC game because the latest windows doesn’t support it anymore, or because steam or GFWL or whatever might be away. (Hopefully, if that ever happens, they patch out their online activation, like Ubisoft patched out DRM)
    But that is another topic here…

There are alot of games, I wanted to play, but didn’t have the time or money for. Those are games, I don’t neccessarily need to own, but I don’t want to miss them, either. So I might pick them up later for 20€ or something like that, which is still too much for some games. And this is where PS Plus is quite handy. I’m not the fan of rockstar or the open-world genre, but I still wanted to play Red Dead Redemption because of the very positive reviews. And now I have the chance to play it for free. I also know, that I will never play it again and I don’t want to own the box, because I’m not a big fan of it anyway, but If I now fall in love with it and totally want to play it again in years, I could still pick it up later.

25. Da Man

It’s just a desperate attempt, they know they’re inferior so they try with these rented games.

The games are rented, the value is illusive.

26. mojo

oh illusive. So i dont actualy play those games? Im dreaming?

27. Da Man

You don’t own them.

28. DrDamn

Don’t bite – he had to try several times before someone bit. Just ignore.

29. Dragon246

Yeah you are. According to some people who dont even have a ps3, let alone plus.

30. Da Man

^You mean like those people who never owned a 360 in 360 articles?

It would be a crazy value if you actually owned those games, as it is they just give you a limited access to them.

31. KrazyKraut

I am okay with PSN+. When a new PSN exclusives comes out, I dont buy it, because I know then earlier or later you will get it on PSN+ for free/discounted.^^ At you 4.16 euros or dollar per month and get a shitload of games. Not even renting is that cheap.

32. Gadzooks!

If I rent a movie and love it, chances are I’ll then go and buy it.

Rental ‘problem’ solved. You now own it.

33. varsas

@ps3fanboy: “and don’t forget the psn plus is on auto charge”

Only if you are fool enough to enter your credit card details into PSN and don’t do the sensible thing of buying DISCOUNTED PSN cards.

34. OrbitMonkey

ps+ great value as long as you pay. Xbox live grear service as long as you pay.

Now see? No need for the fanboy bitch/bait.

35. nikk900

I don’t understand people complaining about the games going when the sub ends. First, you only loose free stuff, all the discounted stuff you have paid for you will keep. Secondly, it’s like saying why can’t I continue to play xbox live when my sub ends. The sub ends, you loose the stuff, same as if you subscribe to anything.

I think it’s a great service and I will continue my sub as long as the great games keep coming.

36. Gadzooks!

#34

Does not compute: OrbitMonkey not stirring shit, but smoothing it over? ;)

Oh you big shitsmoother, you!

37. kayoss

@ps3fanboy

You’re an idiot… you pay $60 a year and you get free games to play that pretty much pays for itself after downloading 2-3 games and you complain? Yes most people who owns a ps3 may have the games that has been offered already but a lot of people who are new to the PS3 this is a great bargain for them. If you dont like it dont pay for it… its not a manditory option unlike Xbox live where you have to get gold in order to access your netflix account that you already paid subscription for. If you do own an xbox 360 good luck with your “reward” to get discounts on purchased games.

38. Clupula

@36 – the term “shitsmoother” brings up images in my head that I very much want to leave it right now…

39. TheOutcastWolf

@ps3fanboy You don’t stand for your name at all…

I am thinking of grabbin’ it once it has a better Vita support, until then, back to normal gaming…