Attack of the Show and X-Play canceled, will run until end of the year

Friday, 26th October 2012 19:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Attack of the Show and X-Play will no longer be produced at the end of 2012, according to G4. Reports have also surfaced that some of the editorial staff on G4′s website are being laid off as well.

Both shows will host original episodes through the end of the year with a look back at favorite memories as the final episodes get closer.

“A rotating lineup” of guest co-hosts including John Barrowman, Michael Ian Black, Josh Myers, Paul Scheer, Rob Huebel and Horatio Sanz will join Attack of the Show hosts Candace Bailey and Sara Underwood, and X-Play hosts Morgan Webb and Blair Herter as part of the farewell shows.

“With well over a thousand episodes each, Attack of the Show! and X-Play have defined gamer culture for a generation, serving as the launch pad for prominent personalities including Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, Chris Hardwick and Adam Sessler,” said the official statement.

“Attack of the Show! debuted March 28, 2005 and from the start was the ultimate guide to everything cool and new in the world of technology, web culture, gaming and pop culture. X-Play made its debut almost two years earlier, on April 28, 2003 (on G4’s TechTV), and immediately became the go-to destination for young men seeking the latest video game news, honest reviews, hands-on demos and exclusive video game trailers and footage. The year-end celebration will take you back through highlights of these landmark shows’ history, including its exclusive live-from-the-floor coverage of San Diego Comic-Con and E3.”

In February 2009, X-Play was cut from five to three days per week, resulting in half the staff being laid-off, including games editorial manager Abbie Heppe. The following month, Attack of the Show and X-Play both returned to their former schedules, with AotS going back to four episodes week, and X-Play to three per week.

X-Play host Adam Sessler left the network in April of this year.

A report on Joystiq also states some off the gaming editorial staff at G4′s The Feed have bee laid off. The report states their final week will take place before Thanksgiving, and while Joystiq wasn’t given any official numbers, “at least five editors have been laid off and a skeleton crew may remain on staff past the pre-Thanksgiving layoffs.”

A representative for G4 had “no comment” when asked about further layoffs on the site.

1. Ali

Though not really a fan, I enjoyed them both and I agree about them helping shaping the gaming culture.

This should have been IGN going down not them.

#1 1 year ago
  2. TD_Monstrous69

R.I.P. Attack of the Show (2005-2012) and X-Play (2003-2012).
    I could tell the death-nail was imminent for these shows once Adam and Kevin both left. I didn’t want to think it was possible, but god is it still sad. My thoughts go out to the production staff of both shows, as well as all the hosts that stuck around for their show’s death marches. Hope they all land on their feet.

#2 1 year ago
  3. The_Red

I guess G4 really wants to self destruct. I’ve only watched some X-Play but I’m pretty sure both Attack of… and X-Play are among THE best and most watched content on something like G4.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Stephany Nunneley

Joystiq has word some of the editorial staff at G4, also known as “The Feed” have also been laid off. The post has been updated to reflect this information.

#4 1 year ago
  5. fearmonkey

I loved xplay for a long time, but stopped watching G4 as much when it became SpikeTV light… Now, I really have no reason to go back to ever watch G4 ever again. The channel is breaking from gaming it seems and I hope that Morgan can find herself another gig in the industry soon. Since MS is making original programming, they should pick her up if they can.
    When both Adam and Kevin left, I knew it was going downhill fast….

#5 1 year ago
  6. KAP

Sorry but all went down hill when Olivia Nunn left, nows shes a superstar. Good on her.

#6 1 year ago
  7. xxJPRACERxx

Wow, I thought these show were already dead, some years ago.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Mike W

Yea the writing was on the wall when Adam Sessler left. But I have to admit I haven’t watch X-play in years.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Nfanboy

Those show were absolutely terrible anyway.

And Morgan Webb is one of the worst TV presenter EVER.

I’m not even going to mention there reviews…

I won’t miss those shows.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dinasis

@6: It went downhill a lot earlier than that. So far as I’m concerned, the downward spiral started when G4 bought TechTV.

#10 1 year ago
  11. stodge

The shows sucked anyway and the presenters were incredibly annoying.

#11 1 year ago