Xbox 360 is UK’s best-selling console of 2012, claims confident Microsoft rep

Tuesday, 23rd October 2012 12:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Microsoft has predicted that, come the end of the current calendar year, Xbox 360 will be the UK’s best-selling console. The claim is based on official Chart Track figures.

CVG reports that according to GFK Chart-Track data, Xbox 360 has been the UK’s best-selling console between January and September.

Microsoft is “very, very confident”, according to product manager for Xbox Live Pawan Bhardwaj. He told CVG that, “The data we have is for the January to September period, but I can absolutely assure you that the Xbox 360 will be the best-selling console for the calendar year.”

Chart-Track confirmed that it did supply Microsoft with said sales data, but that it will only announce a winner once the year is through.

1. Hamster34

Gotta love sales people, right?

2. Dave Cook

yep.

3. OrbitMonkey

He’ll be eating his words come November!

4. Hamster34

MS employees are trained for that, so it’s no problem for them.

As much as I enjoy some Xbox 360 time I genuinely hate the cocky attitude of MS. Sony are bad but MS take the biscuit.

I wouldn’t mind if the Xbox actually had something worthy of making it sell well but old games, no new IP’s, Kinect and a terrible dashboard full of adverts just dont equal a great experience.

5. woe

@Dave Cook: Best selling in the UK, so fix the title or are you just looking for hits?

6. OrbitMonkey

@4, ssshhh! You’ll wake the troll!

7. Hamster34

There are no trolls?

8. Dave Cook

@5 thanks for the tip, although I would have preferred it be conveyed more politely.

9. alimokrane

With the recent spike in PS3 sales following the release of the new models, he better watch it. MS needs a price cut pronto or they’ll miss out!

10. Mike W

Well I don’t expect a Microsoft rep to say, it’s selling worst then it’s competition…..that would just be silly. And another thing, why is this gen, so fucking high strung on how much these multi-billon companies are selling? When did the gamers get replace by these “wannabes” financial analysts?

11. Gadzooks!

#10

Armchair analysts are a product of a volatile economy.

We watch the figures because we care about our hobby, gaming, and we don’t want it to dissapear in a puff of debt (apart from Sony who are a disease on the games industry, well past their sell-by date, and will be gone soon anyway).

12. polygem

yea yea but those fuckers got halo

13. Ge0force

#11 And why would Sony be a disease on the games industry? At least they still focus on gaming and new IP’s, instead of milking the same IP’s over and over again and monetizing everything that’s completely free on other platforms.

14. Mike W

I fail to see how your hobby is gaming and you want to see one of major console manufacturers leave the business.

Thank you, for telling what your true intentions are.

15. Gadzooks!

#13

1) ‘Exotic’ (badly designed) hardware, causing both poor performance and massively increased development costs. This has hampered multiplatform releases, sucking resource and causing other versions to receive less attention. Damaging to the industry.

2) Pushing visuals at the great expense of gameplay. AI, framerates, freedom and interaction have been sacrificed at the alter of the press shot. So many linear narrow corridor QTE borefests have come from Sony. It’s spawned a generation of pixel obsessed idiots that don’t even know what constitutes gameplay anymore. Hint: cutscenes are not gameplay.

3) Their arrogant insular attitudes and refusal to modernise to an acceptable level continue to cause distribution problems, limit the market for devs and raise QA and localisation costs.

4) With a free PSN they created an army of fucking cheapskates who believe they should get everything for nothing with no regard or respect for who foots the bill.

Luckily the self-entitled tools crying ‘more more more, but I left my wallet at home’ have cannibalised Sony to the brink of financial collapse.

Services ARE NOT FREE. They ARE paid for. In Sonys case, they have paid for PSN instead of the pov army using their consoles, and in doing so have inadvertantly killed themselves off.

Their reserves will run out before next gen hits, this is for certain. Vita has finished the job that a free PSN and a badly designed PS3 started.

Without Sony dragging the bar down, the industry can get back on it’s feet, concentrate on gameplay instead of fighting the limitations of stupidly designed hardware and antiquated services.

16. Deacon

@15 – My god I’ve never heard such a load of bollocks. You either love MS to the point where you hate their competitors by default, or something happened somewhere down the line to make you hate them so.

Sony are far from perfect, sure. But all the major players have had their issues this gen. And Sony are doing a lot RIGHT, imo.

I think you’ve put a little too much zeal in your tea today sir.

17. absolutezero

NPD watchers don’t actually enjoy games all that much, they just like watching the market, then commentating. Plus its alot less complicated and straight forward than the actual stock market.

18. DarkElfa

I love how the Sony fans showed up ASAP to have a cow and a single guy showed up to troll them all into a frenzy.

God, who cares who sold the most consoles people. It had to be one of the two current makers and if Sony had won, MS fans would be in here tossing poop at the cage bars instead of you guys.

Will this egregious fanboy crap ever end?!

19. Gadzooks!

#16

I was asked my opinion, and gave it. And yes, something happened to give me this opinion: I bought a PS3, and was appalled at the lack of depth and quality.

Yes they do a couple of things right, but the damage they do vastly outweighs that.

I think your opinion is ‘bollocks’ too, by the way. Difference is it wasn’t asked for…

20. OwnedWhenStoned

@18 no it won’t.

Divide and conquer!

Politicians exploit the same need to be grouped.

21. polygem

i do not feel like discussing this (again) but i feel like i have to say this anyway;)
    Gadzooks definiteley has some good points there. in the end it is his opinion and it is far from being just bollocks or trolling and to a huge degree i agree with him.
    i was disappointed the most by sony this gen, for several reasons and despite the many exclusives. the ps3 was a shallow and boring experience imho. it lacked substance. it wowed for a while and then it became boring again, a soulless console. sony was bringing exclusive after exclusive but they just werent for me, sure uncharted is a fun game but i never understood the hype. sure i enjoyed resistance a lot but compared to halo it is a gameplaymess with some fun weapons. the ps3 interface is boring and pseudo cool, i like the xmb in general, i think it is a nice idea but there´s just something lacking…then they came up with the vita bubbles ;)
    i hate the controller (i always have), the online is far inferiour to xbl – no matter how much people will forever argue otherwise. don´t let me start with the ps store. i cannot understand why people are having so much love for the system. i accept it but i cannot understand it realy. i give them credits for pushing new ip´s. i just think less would have been so much more. i give them credits too for games like journey and the unfinished swan…but next gen sony must really convince me with some pretty good stuff to make me buying into playstation 4. i think it will get really tough for them in general. they are in the worst position of the big 3.

22. Dragon246

Opinions doesnt say a company needs to die, which is tantamount to trolling.
    Same here. I was mighty disappointed in wii and its motion controls, lack of functional online and its successor will probably follow the same footsteps, minus the sales. They still dont provide any incentive for current 360/ps3 owners like me to jump ship, which they are desperately trying buy failing miserably. Exotic hardware is what ninty is best at, and I dont like companies dictating me what I should like. I aint a chameleon, so I can only focus on one screen at a time, which nullifies the purpose of 2nd screen.
    We will see….

23. Ge0force

#15

1) The x360 must have been the most failing piece of hardware in history (RROD) and also Kinect doesn’t work as promised.

2) PS3 has lots of exclusives with brand new gameplay elements, including Demon’s Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Pixeljunk Shooter etc. Most x360 exclusives are sequels doing the same stuff we’ve played a thousand times before.

3) Microsoft has rediculous demands for small devs on XBLA, causing lots of promising games not even having a chance. Sony allows self-publishing and supports creativity with its pub-funds program.

4) Online gaming on pc has always been free and works great. Steam is still free and is in every aspect better than XBLA. Nor P2P-gaming, nor apps that are free on every other platform work better if you pay for them.

Not serious here, just showing how ridiculous short-sighted your posts are.

24. Da Man

True, the whole system was designed for anything but videogames in mind. From OS through the hardware.

Congratulations to MS.

25. Dragon246

Well said mate. :)

26. Da Man

^You really have nothing else to do all day, don’t you 12 year old? The irony.

27. Gadzooks!

#23

Trying to refute the faults of X by praising Y and Z while totally ignoring the points laid out.

Epic debate failure. Bravo!

28. Deacon

Same old flame-baiting tripe being scribbled by the same old pseudo-intellectual fuckwits.

I’m gonna skip the comments section altogether from now on. It’s just getting so, so boring.

29. Gekidami

“You really have to wonder what kind of an empty life one must have to take offense to people wishing for their fav company to die.”

About as empty as the life of someone who sits in front of their computer all day waiting for the chance to bad mouth a hardware company?

But hey, gotta love the hypocrisy, Its Da Man after all. Now please spend the next 2 days in the comments of this article arguing how terrible Sony are and great MS is whilst hypocritically saying others are “sad” for doing the same. There’s a good little drone.

30. polygem

@Dragon: by the way. the ign review says unfinished swan is a magical experience…who knows, maybe they are getting there now!

;)

31. Da Man

Gekidami, I’ve been offline since 11 a.m. Not to mention I never did any of what you ‘re babbling.

As for being pseudo intelligent, I really think that ‘s what people playing Final Fantasy in their 30s can be described as.

32. Gadzooks!

#28

Roughly translated: “I can’t refute the points so I’ll claim victory by climbing on my high horse, riding off into the sunset whilst saying ‘this is all beneath me’”

Oh the melodrama! I fear I may faint.

33. Ge0force

#27 You’re not a very bright person, are you? Please read the last sentence of my post #23 again ;)