SingStar to be made available as a free download from the XMB

Tuesday, 23rd October 2012 16:26 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SingStar, the competitive singing game for PS3, will be available disc-free to everyone in Australia, Europe, and New Zealand as a free download from the XMB.

Users will install SingStar from the XMB, download titles from the SingStore, and it can now be played with the PlayStation Eye camera.

Songs already purchased will be imported and added to your selection for both PS2 and PS3.

Here’s more information:

• Compatible with SingStar microphones, official PlayStation Wireless headsets and common USB microphones.
  • Short demo songs available for download for new SingStore customers.
  • Easy access PS2 and PS3 disc swap from song carousel.
  • Use PSP or PS Vita to create playlists with SingStar Remote.
  • Instantly share your performances with the SingStar community and your friends on Facebook.
  • Acquire new trophies.

SingStar will be added to the XMB “very soon.”

1. Keivz

Nice. Hopefully this hits the US soon; although I’m somehow doubtful.

2. Ireland Michael

That’s a really good idea actually.

Download for free, pay for the songs that you want.

Would make for a great karaoke distraction.

3. tezzer1985

Find it hard to believe Sony didn’t do this sooner, the soical aspect of Singstar is very compelling, if your into that stuff.

4. freedoms_stain

It’s a good idea, but they’ve fucked up on the icon placement. Shove it in at the top of the Game tab and make it unremovable, unmovable and unhidable.

Not a good move. It has me wondering how many other unmovable ads for services and products I don’t want they’re going to put between me and my games in a years time. Beginning to sound like the Xbox dash. Yuck.

5. monkeygourmet

Good move!

6. OrbitMonkey

I was wondering why this had popped up on my dash :-/