Assassin’s Creed 3 DLC is non-canon to avoid ‘fracturing’ fan base

Tuesday, 23rd October 2012 12:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Assassin’s Creed 3 DLC ‘The Tyranny of King Washington’, gives an alternative slant on history, in which George Washington becomes a mad tyrant and rules over the States with an iron fist. The fantastical tone of the DLC is to avoid fracturing the fan base post-launch, Ubisoft has explained.

Speaking with OXM, lead designer Steve Masters explained the decision, “For me, the DLC has always been a touchy thing for putting important story moments into. Ultimately it fractures the audience and makes it really difficult for people to keep up with what is the canon of the series.”

“For us, we want to have a little fun with it,” he added, “and have a less serious experience, a less earnest experience, and setting it in an alternate history environment gives us room and freedom to play around with things in a more whimsical manner.”

“We think people are going to enjoy it, have fun with it – we’ve just got to remember it’s not part of the canon, it’s just there as something for players to enjoy.”

Want to know more about The Tyranny of King Washington and Assassin’s Creed 3′s season pass? Check out out round-up:

Assassin’s Creed 3: Season Pass, DLC detailed

1. The_Red

While I think they had “other” reasons for making this non-canon, this is still good news. I mean, the shit they pulled off with AC2′s DLC (Removing memory chapters from main game!) still bugs me to this day even though they weren’t really great levels.

2. Dave Cook

@1 exactly, I can’t stand that stuff, so good on them.

3. absolutezero

If the entire game had taken this slant I might have actually bought it.

4. wnolan1992

Shame they didn’t figure this out four games ago…

5. KAP

Dude, plz.

If this first 20mins of AC3 is anything to go by you WILL be getting this game.

6. Gekidami

Oh right. So to not fracture the fanbase none of the DLC will be canon. Ok then, i’m sure Ubi will stick to that, because its the real reason this isnt canon. …right Ubi?

7. NiceFellow

Just can’t muster up any interest for AC3. I skipped revelations having lost interest with the extreme milking and lack of progress on the narrative – which I actually rather liked. If the reviews are positive enough I’ll probably plump for it eventually – but it’ll have to wait a while and drop a fair bit in price first.