Elder Scrolls Online takes 14 new gameplay screens to the knee

Monday, 22nd October 2012 16:16 GMT By Dave Cook

The Elder Scrolls Online has received 14 new gameplay screens, showing off Skyrim, Dwemer dwelling, viscous enemies and much more. Get the shots below.

Thanks AGB.

1. twisted89

That game is an embarrassment to the elder scrolls name.

2. Giskard

@1 Says a guy after only seeing some screenshots, which look like a low / medium res Skyrim.

We’ve seen nothing of the game yet, dude. At least wait until you see some gameplay before you start jumping on the hate bandwagon.

3. Erthazus

I’m not the biggest fan of the Oblivion or Skyrim but this is really generic compared to the TES series.

It feels like an Everquest II Rip Off with better visuals to be honest.

I expect this to be SWTOR #2

4. Ireland Michael

Indeed. Nothing in these screenshots says “This is Tamriel”. It looks obscenely generic.

5. twisted89

@2 I just don’t like seeing one of my favourite games getting crow bared in to another generic mmo that clearly won’t share any of the things that made it great besides the graphical style.

6. _LarZen_

Look’s great! Here’s hoping it’s fun!

7. OrbitMonkey

I wonder if this will come to the next-gen 360? Big market for Bethesda there.

8. Edo

Are you sure picture number 10 is not from Skyrim?

9. MadFlavour

TES is crap. Bethesda should stick with fallout.

10. _LarZen_

@7 We can only hope…about time we get some mmorpg games on consoles.
    Could be interesting to see how a mmo could work on the Wii U with that controller…

11. freedoms_stain

@8, it’s Skyrim, but in TES Online, same engine as the other pics to me.

12. Custard Ganet

Looks great,looking forward to seeing how many provinces they manage to cover in this.

13. TheWulf

I see they went with the fantasy-homogenised dwemer designs from Skyrim, rather than the far more visually unique (in that it has its own aesthetic) take in Morrowind. I guess all fantasy golems need to look ornate, now. ALL OF THEM.

And I’m sorry, but the faces look worse than Oblivion. That Argonian’s head looks like a dessicated human. It’s almost more Skeletor than Argonian. And this screenshot is perhaps the most disappointing of all. It just reeks of the aforementioned fantasy homogenisation.

It’s like someone though that adding mushrooms to a typical ‘oh pretty’ twee fantasy environment would make something more like Morrowind. No. That’s not how that frickin’ works. The aesthetic of Morrowind was singularly unique in that it set aside twee, quaint fantasy notions and actually did something very unusual with its visual aesthetic.

So… visually, this game looks horrible. Not in fidelity, I have nothing against the fidelity, it’s just that it’s so homogenised. It looks so standard. It reeks of phoned-in generic fantasy crap. The kind of thing that anyone could throw together, just fantasy schlock, no talent involved at all.

And if I don’t enjoy a game visually, I won’t be able to enjoy any other aspect of it. Again, this isn’t graphic whoring, because that’s not what I’m saying. The fidelity is fine. The art direction sucks.

It’s a shame, really. It could have been brilliant.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

14. UuBuU

The environments don’t look too bad. It’s the characters / creatures which don’t look like they have any place in TES at all.

15. TheWulf

Eh. I don’t agree. Some of the environments just throw in colourful plants to rev up that twee ‘oh, look at me, I’m so pretty’ look that Oblivion went for. And then the dwemer mines are taken from the homogenised dwarf-like ones in Skyrim, rather than the submarine-like ones from Morrowind. And we’re definitely not going to see anything like the incredible dwemer spires thanks to that homogenisation.

It’s just that everything has to look the same, these days. You can’t have a dungeon made entirely of metals, looking surprisingly high-tech, because you upset those who’ll let out their shrill cries of but that’s not fantasy. So everything is homogenised, so it ends up being ‘like Tolkien BUT.’ And that’s really upsetting.

The environment visuals are clearly homogenised, and it bothers me. I’m sorry, but once you’ve seen far better already, being asked to accept homogenised crap is hard.

Click the image, watch the video, and then return… return and tell me honestly that you think the Skyrim variants (which this MMO is using) are better. If you could do that, then you’d either be a liar or one of those infuriatingly unimaginative fantasy ‘purists’ who want to HOMOGENISE EVERYTHING.

Why? BECAUSE HOMOGENISATION. IT HAS TO LOOK FAMILIAR.

Grrr…

16. Kalain

Woo.. Lets all base a game on how it looks from a couple of screen shots which only show a couple of areas and lets say that That is the entire game.

So, how much do you know about this game without going into a rant about Generic Fantasy? I know nothing about this game aside from the basic info that was released and the few screenshots that are there.

gotta love people who have decided on a game via screenshots..

17. Giskard

@15 So you want ruins that look exactly like Fallout’s, and then you claim it is not homogenized? Grow up.

18. Ireland Michael

@16 These screenshots are intended to show off the aesthetic of the game. That’s their whole purpose.

It’s an issue of the gaming being authentic to the atmosphere and identity of the Elder Scrolls. This isn’t. It’s cartoon WoW-like fantasy.

I already have a subscription to WoW if I want that.

19. UuBuU

@15 I much prefer the Morrowind look also ~ and I didn’t say the environments in those screenshots looked good. I only said they didn’t look bad. Tolerable in my opinion, even if nowhere near as good as they could be.

It’s the characters and monsters that really destroy any chances this game has of capturing the TES vibe. The screenshots with the skeleton boss and the crocodile monster (which I assume is their awful take on a Daedroth) are by far the worst.

20. _LarZen_

Didnt know WoW had the rights to a cartoony style…

21. deathm00n

There’s one preview out and you can all swallow your words of this being another generic MMO, it’s combat system makes it unique http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30900&storypage=1

22. Phoenixblight

It uses the same engine as TOR. it has a action bar combat system. Its as generic as it can get.

23. Sajuuk-Khar

that is 100% incorrect. TESO only used the same engine as TOR for its testing phase, Zenimax online confirmed ages ago the game is using its own engine, and not the hero engine that ToR uses.

@The wulf

Having been a fan of the Elder scrolls since Daggerfall, I can safely say that Skyrim’s Dwemer ruin design is in no way shape or form any more or less generic then Morrowinds.

I don’ think I’ve seen another series with Animunculi similar to either Morrowind’s, or skyrim’s aesthetic.

24. Phoenixblight

Where is that confirmation because the game informer article is the one that said it uses the hero engine it may be heavily modified but at its core its the hero engine.

25. DarkElfa

It reminds me of SWTOR already.

26. Sajuuk-Khar

Why The Elder Scrolls Online Isn’t Using HeroEngine

“We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. ”

“Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development.”"

27. GwynbleiddiuM

@20 no, Warcraft started as a cartoony style game, Check all the Warcraft games, they are all cartoonish, even that adventure game based on Thrall which was cancelled was a cartoon. TES on the other hand was never cartoonish. They are trying to attract WoW fans with this, much like SWTOR. Although I liked SWTOR’s art direction, it had resemblance with Clone Wars animated (or is it CG). But this, doesn’t fit well with TES universe. So, I side with what Erth, PB, TheWulf, IM are saying.

28. _LarZen_

@27 Well I think it has more to do with the game engine and the fact that it’s a mmorpg and not a singleplayer game. As to this day there is no mmorpg game with highend gfx that do any good. Not even one single game, why?

Becaus it demands to much hardware and tho most dedicated PC gamers think that most people’s computers are up to the task mostly are in fact not even close.

So the developer are doing the only logical and smart thing here, going for a style that probably will scale and run on most systems out there. And will reach more people then if this mmorpg had gfx like in Skyrim.

Most people dont care and most people dont have the required hardware.

29. Ireland Michael

@28 You can make a realistic art style that scales just fine, if you’re a half competent developer.

The cartoonish character models are bad enough. The bright, sparkly armour just makes it worth. The killer is the brightly colored, over saturated levels.

The entire Elder Scrolls Ethos is one of depressing bleakness, where nobody lives a decent life, everyone has it hard, and the world and its people will fuck you over in a hearthbeat. The daedras are obscenely cruel beings who cause ruin at a whim, and the entire world suffers for it.

This? This is cartoony bullshit.

Molag Bal, raid boss in patch 1.4! The thought is depressing me already.

Frankly, I don’t think anyone making the games gave a shit about or knew the lore after Morrowind anyway. Neither Oblivion nor Skyrim touched on it half as much as Daggerfall or Morrowind did.

30. Sajuuk-Khar

If you really believe that, then you know very little about the Elder scrolls universe.

Tamriel has NEVER been a place were everyone has it rough, there are a few places, like Vvardenfell, that are more harsh then others, but all in all, most people in the Elder Scrolls series live good lives.

And the Daedra have never been the classic evil/cruel as you describe them, well except Dagon, but Dagon is cursed to be that way.

‘But then why, you ask, do the Daedra wish to meddle with the Aurbis? It is because they are the radical critique, essential as all martyrs. That some are more evil than others in not an illusion. Or rather, it is a necessary illusion.’

31. GwynbleiddiuM

@28 ofc that’s their design choice because it’s a safe choice. None of these big time publishers would risk it, they will always go for what is believed to be acceptable by the majority. Creativity level in MMORPGs these days is so depressing, everyone are trying to be like each other, as if SWTOR wasn’t the proof enough that in order to beat WoW you have to break free from the norm, otherwise, there is WoW, there’s SWTOR, there is Rift and so on.

No one ever tried to be the next EVE Online, taking all the good things it has to offer and take it to the next level. EVE will always be my favorite MMO, the only problem for me to play it is the fact that it takes so much to get somewhere in EVE and it can just go down the shitter in a heartbeat.

But, WoW, SWTOR, Rift, they are all great games that are already out there, looking very similar to each other in many areas, and there are areas that each one has done it better than the other. We don’t really have the need for another similar game in the genre. There’s also GW2 which is a great sub-free game.

MMO games are not like single-player games that you play for 15 hours and move on, you’re going to be playing them for hundreds of hours.

And let’s face it the Daedric shrines which IMO are the better part of the TES lore are going to be just jokes in TES Online.

32. DirectAim

I didn’t think TESO would be any good but after looking into it I’m getting really excited by it. Fingers crossed I get into the BETA!!!!

33. Christopher Jack

It’s certainly improved since the last time I saw it. Still pessimistic about the end result.