Xbox 360 consoles have moved 70 million units since November 2005 release

Friday, 19th October 2012 16:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Xbox 360 consoles have moved 70 million units since it was released in November 2005, via CVG. The firm announced yesterday in its financial release that it shipped 1.7 million consoles during the first quarter of its financial period ending September 30. The figure is down by 600,000 units compared to the 2.3 shipped during the same period in FY12. The firm’s Entertainment and Devices Division reported revenues of $1.95 billion, which was flat year-over-year. Revenue for Xbox 360 decreased $418 million, down 24% year-over-year due to “lower volumes of consoles sold and lower video game revenue,” said Microsoft. This was offset “in part by higher Xbox LIVE revenue.”

1. drewbles82

Yep so anyone thinking GTAV would make a great lauch title for nextgen is not thinking bout the sales. 70million just on xbox360. Could take a lot long to get anywhere near that amount nextgen, so R* would be better off doing current gen, far more sales.

2. Se_7_eN

Does not include re-sale numbers for Red Rings… NOT IMPRESSED!

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

@2 indeed, most people I know with one are on their second or third (one mate on his 13th !!!) so that’s, what, 35 million actual sales.

The failure of any games site to properly investigate rrod is *the* scandal in the history of videogames. History will not look back at this current generation of games journalists very kindly at all.

4. Gadzooks!

RROD was put through the ringer for years, in great detail, many times, on EVERY gaming site.

It’s done, accounted for, and well behind them.

Anyway 360 software sales, well above the competition, prove that the number of consoles out there was impacted very little. Free repairs sorted that out quite nicely.

5. drewbles82

@3 don’t know how your mate got thru 13. I’m on my 2nd but repaired the 1st myself which was bought day one and still works now. I think some people don’t put the consoles in the right place like on carpet or in a non vented unit so its bound to overheat. Then theres others who decide to leave their console on for more than 12hrs at a time, its common sense.
    MS had a problem mainly with the chip, tried to fix it with a falcon chip and then jasper which i never had a problem with.

6. Da Man

#3 That wasn’t even close to reality in the days of original.

PS1 spindels and PS2s disc drives on the other hand..

Congratulations to MS.

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

Everyone on this thread has bought at least 2

8. freedoms_stain

It’s anecdotal though. I have a UK launch PS2 that still works and a fatty PS1 that still works. I do know a lot of people who have had multiple xbox 360′s, but that’s anecdotal too.

9. Gadzooks!

#7

I bought 2 as well. Software sales though, that’s the key indicator of the number of active consoles out there.

What percentage of those sold on early 360′s went back into circulation? The evidence points to ‘a large percentage’.

Also, forum dwellers tend to be heavy users. They are naturally going to see more wear and tear in their consoles.

Why forumites are ever taken as being even vaguely representative of the gaming community is beyond me. They simply aren’t, at all. All you have to do is look at software charts and the almost unanimous ranting at the shitness of the top 10 sellers.

10. ManuOtaku

I have 3 xbox and not becuase i need it too, but because i want it too, well one was a gift, but i do have my 2005 white 20 GB model still functioning to this very day, without repairs by the way, and my 2008 120 gb model the one that came with lego batman/pure bundle, and the kinect 4gb bundles with kinect adventures, so in my personal experince i cannot said anything bad about microsoft consoles, heck even my 2000 xbox is still spinning games.

11. OlderGamer

“Why forumites are ever taken as being even vaguely representative of the gaming community is beyond me. They simply aren’t, at all.”

+1, apply it to almost any topic ever brought up here.

12. pukem0n

well, most PS3s are sold for the bluray player because for gaming it is shit…. /random xbox fanboy rant and so on and so on

13. loveaya

@12,as bluray player? U think it’s still the very beginning of PS3? Or u r just a noob in Video Game? lol

14. Kuwabara

more like 30-35 million sales, because of rrod. Ps3 has doubled the sales of xbox 360. considering the 1 year lead.

@12, i doubt most people even know it has bluray. I just wish sony would have the word blu ray player on the front box cover, it would sell much more!!