Planetside 2 release date confirmed, three continents playable at launch

Friday, 19th October 2012 08:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Planetside 2 has been dated by developer Sony Online Entertainment, as well as confirmation that all three proposed continents will be playable from day one. Get all the details below.

Eurogamer reports that Planetside 2 will launch 20th November. All three continents – Indar Esamir and Ameris will be playable at release.

Planetside 2 will be free-to-play at launch, and given the scale of the game as it stands already – with Indar and Esamir playable during the Planetside 2 beta – VG247 was surprised to learn that whole new continents will come after launch as DLC. It’s definitely something SOE is considering at the moment. Check out our interview with the studio here:

1. hives

Wait, what? Hope they will fix all existing bugs ;P I’m really surprised… I thought it will launch in December or even early 2013.

Cool info. If you like Battlefield, you should check this game out. It’s like BF, but 9999999999999999999999999999999 times bigger :X And it’s not Pay-To-Win, so that’s nice too.

2. lama

are you sure about it? ive heard that its basically pay to win.

3. freedoms_stain

@2, play it, it’s not.

A game with 2000 players essentially can’t be.

4. Sylrissa

It’s certainly not pay to win from what I’ve seen.

and I wasn’t expecting it to be ready until December either.

5. hives

It’s not P2W in my opinion… You can unlock everything with in-game currency. Even without unlockin anything, you can still own enemies if you have skill. If someone pays, they just get various unlocks faster. But the upgrades are balanced, especially vehicle upgrades, because basically every upgrade has it’s pros and cons.

I’m just level 5, but many times I felt that I’m doing something big with my squad, even thought I had only basic weapons and equipment. Some roles don’t even require having anything more that basic stuff (being medic or engi).

6. NeoSquall

I would’ve ordered, if only my PC was able to run it decently.
    I’ve been allowed in the Beta and couldn’t manage to get it running at more than 10fps even at 1280*720…

7. Sylrissa

@6 Yeah, it can be pretty taxing, I had to turn a lot of options down to get the fps up to a smooth level, was sitting around 25-30fps at high.

8. freedoms_stain

The beta is deliberately graphically hamstrung too. They deliberately limited the max in-game settings below what the game is capable of because they haven’t quite got the performance fully optimised. There’s something you can do with a config file somewhere that takes the limit off, but you need a powerhouse to run it max without the limits.

9. GameGiveaways

Get your Planetside2 beta key at http://planetside2betacenter.blogspot.com/ We have 300 weekly keys, available to users worldwide! Get your key now, while we still have them!