World of Warcraft updates to be smaller and more frequent, says Blizzard

Wednesday, 17th October 2012 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

World of Warcraft patches will soon be released in various sizes, depending on the content, according to the game’s production director J. Allen Brack.

Speaking with RPS, Brack said Blizzard is experimenting with varying degrees of patches now that Mists of Pandaria has been released.

“We’re trying an experiment where we’re going to do smaller… We’re going to change what it means to be a WoW patch,” said Brack. “Every patch for the modern WoW era has been a raid tier, sometimes a dungeon, sometimes not, but a whole content for every kind of level.

“We’re trying to make smaller patches and larger patches. We’re still going to have patches that are the giant raid tiers. We’re still going to have patches that are going to be what people traditionally think of as a WoW patch. But we’re also going to have very small patches that just have a few scenarios, maybe a movie or two that are little vignettes, and a round of daily quests.

“That’s what 5.1 is. In the subsequent patches we’ll have other raid tiers, and then we’ll have the war escalate to the point where Garrosh [Hellscream] actually starts to do some things that are not necessarily in keeping with what you would consider to be honorable Horde traditions.

“We’ve already announced that we’re going to have him as the final boss of this expansion cycle. We’re excited to see how that goes. We haven’t actually figured out exactly how that’s going to escalate and all the various pieces of that, but we’re deep into talking about it.”

Mists of Pandaria 5.1 patch notes are through here.

1. Erthazus

Mists of Pandaria is the worst Addon in my opinion so far.

Sure, there are a lot of things to do. But that’s the problem. Blizzard tried too hard to make players work each day for daily quests if you really want to succeed.

It was before with daily quests like that, but this time it is much more time consuming and with 5.1 they want to introduce another faction with daily quests. In my opinion small updates just to include daily quests or some Farming achievement is a mistake. If you want your subscribers to be happy make the content great first of all.

Klaxxi and Shado Pan dailies are fucking annoying already.

2. treborr

@1 Agreed. One of the benefits you get from the daily quests is the Lesser charms, which I know some people have around 900 of and cannot trade them in. Whats the point in that?

3. Ireland Michael

@1 You don’t even have to touch daily quests to complete the raids and instances in MoP as long as you’ve hit the right gear level. The heroic five mans and the normal raids are easy as hell.

4. treborr

@3 But that is the way to get the ‘best’ from your character. I see what you are saying but what if it isn’t easy?

5. DSB

Face it, World of Warcraft is heading for the elephant cemetary.

8 years is quite a while, but no amount of subscriptions is going to save you from simply getting old.

That being said, I wish they would’ve started doing smaller updates while I was playing. Waiting for patches was extremely annoying. Well, really watching people wait for patches was the annoying bit.

“Durrrrrr, Thursday is patch day, I feel it in my bones, and my milk tasted like patch this morning. I really have zero evidence to suggest that it actually would be”.

Holy shit I wanted to kill those people.

6. Erthazus

@2, I have 500+ already and it’s just a junk in my bags. Another mistake by Blizzard.

@3, you are incorrect. If you want a real progress you should make dailies. There are 489 items for Valor points not to mention that guys like Klaxxi give FREE quests for a free 489 item that you can’t get in the LFR/Normal or HC.

In the end there are Mounts and pets that people want. I want for example and because of that I must do this fucking thing every day. I have no alternative.

Cloud Serpents – If you won’t do this you can’t learn a skill to ride on the cloud serpent dragons.

and so on.

@DSB, “They could turn it into a less graphically impressive Guild Wars 2, and it would still be going that way.”

GW2 stuff are actually FUN. Dailies in WoW not so much, although farming dailies in MoP are really good.

7. OlderGamer

So far so good, I have still haven’t tried it. Not even once, I am so proud of myself. lol.