Black Ops 2 smashes GameStop’s pre-order record

Wednesday, 17th October 2012 10:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is officially GameStops’s most pre-ordered title to date. The retailer has also predicted that the game is likely to be its ‘biggest game launch of all time’.

IGN reports that the statement includes comment from GameStop president Tony Bartel, in which he said, “consumer anticipation for Call of Duty: Black Ops II is tremendous. We are seeing the highest pre-orders in history. With its current pace, this Call of Duty is on track to break records and is likely to be our biggest game launch of all time.”

That suggests big numbers indeed. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 also received a launch trailer last night. If you missed it, hit the link below. Oh and crank up your speakers for a loud dose of AC/DC.

1. Moonwalker1982

I just don’t get it how people can’t get tired of this game. Every year it’s the exact damn thing except for very minor changes and new maps, it’s all the same. People apparently just don’t get enough of it, fine with me, i’ll just never understand though.

2. Dave Cook

@1 Have you played it though dude? It’s massively expanded, visually enhanced and offers so much.

Not being cheeky or anything like that, but I personally think it’s the best one to date. Maybe you should rent it and at least give it a try at launch. Maybe you’ll dig it? :)

3. bitsnark

To be fair, I know a lot people who approached Halo 4 with the same apprehension and in that example, just about everyone who has gotten hands-on of it or seen the campaign has come away hugely impressed.

With that said, I can’t help but wonder (as devil’s advocate), whether or not Halo 4 actually does more to separate itself from previous instalments than Black Ops 2 does.

They both seem to be making strides in the right direction to freshen things up a little if you ask me.

4. Dave Cook

@3 same with DmC: Devil May Cry, which – when you play it – is awesome. Halo 4 is good from what I played, and I previously couldn’t stand the series, even after trying to like it.

Yeah you’re right too, they’re all making steps to address concerns and to freshen things up a bit. Good times.

5. Moonwalker1982

Yeah i played it for like 20 minutes at Gamescom. The graphics are a bit more crisp and it’s CoD, but i really didn’t notice big changes. I have to admit that i never bought MW3 so i don’t know about real differences. But i’ve been playing CoD since the very first one on PC and i’m just so tired of this series. Tired of the ridiculously fast gameplay, guns that feel the exact same as Black Ops or any other CoD before it. I’m much more aiming towards MoH now. The only thing about CoD i dig is that the levels are small, small compared to a BF game. MoH WF has the small levels but the feel of BF, perfect for me.

As for Halo 4, i am very excited for it. And i’m not a Halo fan at all. But this developer is doing something different with it, i like it alot.

6. KrazyKraut

Mh…its a long time ago i bought a CoD. And on Day-1 even longer, but the trailer sold me and I think the Campaign is this time really great. But this doesn’t mean that didn’t I pre-ordered MOH too :)

What I heard and saw, MW3 was extremely disappointed. Three studios and I wasn’t even thinking of buying it.

And its weird how many ppl say that this CoD will have the best Campaign ever. Fights on Horses with advanced tech and fights in cities, deserts and skies.

7. bitsnark

Yep, I can fully vouch for DmC too. Absolutely brilliant.

Anybody who says after playing it that it doesn’t do the IP justice or it doesn’t ‘feel’ like a Devil May Cry game, is clearly out of their tiny minds.

8. absolutezero

Or has no fucking idea what makes Devil May Cry what it is.

Its not having no lock on, 30 FPS and damage based scoring rather than style.

Im terrified that somehow for whatever reason the cliche idea of “cool” that DmC has rushed after along with the weird lump faced characters will make a shit tonne of money. Its almost as if people complaining constantly about new IP will reward re-hashing something that never needed re-hashing.

I have DMC 1, 2 and 3 + Special Edition for the PS2, I have the 360, PS3 and PC versions of 4 and the PS3 HD collection thats 8 games bought at launch in each case for full price. I’m not going to buy DmC, I have little to no interest in what its meant to bringing to (read “removing from”) the franchise. Everyone that seems to be geniunely happy about the game has had no involvement in the series prior to the re-hash. Everyone that did actually love DMC and understood what made it tick, well you know the rest.

9. Dave Cook

@8 “Or has no fucking idea what makes Devil May Cry what it is.”

Foolish thing to say mate, sorry.

10. The_Red

So can we officially say that Black Ops has become the main COD game and Modern Warfare has become the yearly side game? Because this game looks to be more of the awesomeness that was Black Ops 1 and not something mediocre like Modern Warfare 3 (It had some nice elements but overall, was the weakest of MW titles).

11. absolutezero

It was an overblown response to an overblown statement. They might have gotten the superficial elements of what DMC is by looking at a video of it on youtube or something but the Heavy/Light stances ripped straight from Heavenly Sword and even the fact its running at 30 FPS on fucking UE3 kinda makes it obvious that “it doesn’t do the IP justice or it doesn’t ‘feel’ like a Devil May Cry game”.

and now we wait for Zer0

12. G1GAHURTZ

I just don’t get it how people can’t get tired of making negative comments about this game. Every year it’s the exact same comments except for worse grammar and more spelling mistakes, it’s all the same. People apparently just don’t get enough of trolling it, fine with me, i’ll just never understand though.

13. Fin

Man, developers should run everything they decide to do by you first, you obviously know how to make games better than them.

So what if it’s different, get over it. How long have you played it for anyway?

14. absolutezero

Yes because thats what I said.

I’m not asking to make it what I want it to be, I’m asking to be understood as a big fan of the series thats not liking anything that he’s seeing. Just because I loved what the series had built up from mechanics, style and most importantly community, does not mean i’m “out of their tiny minds.”

15. zinc

On topic. How close to CoD figures do EA’s sports games, such as Madden & FIFA get? Their the 2 biggest franchises I can think of, that get a annual release.

16. stretch215

@10 +1. I’m definitely looking forward to this. Mw3, IMO, is the weakest entry in the series.

17. zhao3gold

I feel sad that HALO 4 will be outsold by COD.