Wii U: Pro Controller battery life is 80 hours, retaillers claim

Tuesday, 16th October 2012 11:28 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U offers players a myriad of control methods, from the GamePad tablet device, classic WiiMotes and the more recognisable Pro Controller. Retailers are claiming that the device can hold an 80 hour charge. Get the details below.

Nintendo Life also reports that the Pro Controller is not backwards compatible, which could be a blow for fans of regular controllers.

Both GameStop and Amazon have both posted the following product description for Nintendo’s pro controller:

Your games, your way. However you think of your gaming style – hardcore, old school, or purely nostalgic – the Wii U Pro Controller puts you in the game. Designed for accessibility and extended gameplay comfort, the Wii U Pro Controller features the dual analog sticks and ergonomic button layout that you’ve come to expect, as well as a rechargeable battery that can last up to 80 hours on a single charge. The Wii U Pro Controller can be used for playing a variety of games – from packaged games at retail to downloadable games from the Nintendo eShop. Look on the back of Wii U game packaging to see which games use the Wii U Pro Controller. Not compatible with the Wii system or games.

Hot damn. Although Nintendo is yet to confirm this, so take the news with a whole shaker of salt until then.

Thanks Eurogamer.

1. Digital Bamboo

That seems…like an absurdly long battery charge. I’d think 1/4 that would do the trick. I’ve never had my PS3 controller die–how long does that last?

2. monkeygourmet

Should have swapped the right stick and the buttons around…

They’ve already copied the 360 design (which is a good thing), but the button placement just looks awkward now.

I don’t like change!!! :)

Also, it makes me wonder if Sony will have the balls to change the Dualshock for PS4?

It’s an iconic design for sure and goes hand in hand with the PS branding, but IMO it’s an absolutly awful pad.

The sticks are still in the wrong place, the pad is too light, the triggers are awful and the sticks are too loose.

Lots of improvements could be made, it’s wether they think it’ll have a negative effect on the brand.

I had too get one of these to make the PS3 pad more usable…:

Helps ALOT after you get used to it!

3. Dave Cook

@2 that was my one main criticism, that the buttons are below the right stick. It honestly feels weird to play, and many of us playing had to keep on looking at the buttons while playing.

4. monkeygourmet

@Dave

It’s weird, as it looks almost perfect to use apart from that slight design choice..?

I suppose third party pads could move the buttons and stick around, but as we all know, third party pads never feel quite right!

I still remember going round to play multiplayer Mario Kart 64 at my friends and it was a fight not not get the demon elephant pad:

5. alinos

That’s an entirely subjective opinion.

People who game lots with 360 prefer the 360 controller. People who have gamed with PS pads for most of their life prefer that layout.

The right stick should only be on the bottom for the fact that the sticks being located near the top is a stupid design layout. Since it’s far easier to extend your fingers up than retract them down.

You get away with it on the left stick of the 360 controller because most games don’t use the Dpad in any meaningful way during combat. And if they do it’s no where near the level of the A,B,X,Y layout

6. monkeygourmet

Not really.

The PS pad was / is great for fighting games and 2D games.

Sony added analog sticks to the PS1 pad roughly when Gran Turismo came out as a counter measure to Nintendos 3D ‘stick’ on the N64.

At that stage, very few games used analog controls in the way we use them now, especially considering FPS games were so rare.

Even Doom on the PS1 used the d pad to control as it wasn’t a full 3d world.

MS committed to the switch with the 360 pad, the left analog stick should have def taken position over the dpad. As fighting games are a rarity (also, true fight fans would have an arcade stick), Sony should have followed suit by now.

There pad design is stuck in limbo because it’s such an iconic silhouette. The other things I mentioned about the trigger buttons etc… are also true.

Why do you think Nintendo copied the 360 pad shape over the Dual shock?

7. polygem

i play on the dualshock since psx. i never liked it.
    i totally accept that people prefer the ds though. but at the same time i kind of think those people never gave the 360 pad a real chance, because to me ms really really nailed it with the 360 controller design. the input device is very important for a fun gaming experience. every time i go back to the ds pad it feels clumsy and kind of wrong. the stick placement is really strange on that thing. the 360 pad is an almost perfect design (despite the d pad). that´s why nintendo mocked their design and not sonys. it´s a good thing. i think they just made the analog stick placement like that because otherwise it would just be too similar to the 360 pad. can´t wait to check the pro controller out. looks good. i hope it will have a decent weight – not too lite.
    i agreee monkey, i also hope that sony wil have the guts to finally redesing the pad. i am pretty sure they will. i mean they tried with that banana boomerang prototype thing but fans freaked out. well that design looked interesting but like an ergonomical haptic nightmare so it was prolly the better choice to stay with the ds for the ps3….but next time, they really need something new imho.

note: before it starts again: this is my honest opinion about this. yes, i think the ms pad is the better one, no this does not make me an ignorant asshole or a fanboy. this is just my honest opinion. i love ratchet, clank, sir daniel fortesque…and crash was once my no 1 hero. okeydokey? no?

8. OlderGamer

Most of the time, it seems to me, that if your using both thumb sticks at one time, your then using the shoulder butons rather then the face mounted butons like abxy. And keeping in mind the layout of the main WiiU control pad, this pro controler makes sense to me. However it will prolly take a couple games to get used to, just because my brain is programed for MS pads. But I had the same problem going from PSx to xbox.

9. Dragon246

Is there any info on the weight.I really liked the lightness and dualshocks, never gives any hand fatigue.
    Dualshock just feels right to me. I have wired 360 one but I dont use it as it just feels heavy and a bit rigid compared to DS, and the distance between sticks is a bit too much imho. But the sixaxis is useless and I dont recount a single good use of it in any games.

Edit-Just for reference, sixaxis supposedly had 30 hrs. of gameplay in single charge.

10. monkeygourmet

Sixaxis is good in Flower! :)

A few sites mentioned it was crazy light, but not in a good way, it may have been Kotaku…?

It sounds like it felt a bit cheap which would be annoying.

*Edit, yeah it was Kotaku:

11. DrDamn

Good to see it’s a proper rechargeable pad, and with good life too. Now if Nintendo can just confirm what bleedin games support it that would be nice. I’m gonna be pissed if stuff like Nitendoland and NSMBU support cackhanded wiimotes on their side but don’t support these.

12. monkeygourmet

I’m still interested to know how much power could be saved by making a game that only supported the Wii U Pro pad.

Although it won’t happen because Nintendo need to show the tablet pad being used.

It would be nice to know just how much power the tablet pad needs, and especially if there were options to increase framerates for FPS games if you just wanted to use the pro pad.

13. polygem

@10: i think it was probably so light because the controllers that have been showcased didn´t have the rumblefeature yet…the final pad will have that i believe? should add some weight.

14. monkeygourmet

I hope so!

Need a bit of weight in my pad! :)

15. polygem

yea me too

16. DrDamn

This is the original Kotaku article. http://kotaku.com/5944586/i-hate-the-wii-u-pro-controller

There is rumble, it’s just rubbish rumble. I’ve seen other reports say similar. Not a massive fan of over heavy rumble myself, so not a big issue for me.

17. polygem

ouch. that really doesn´t sound good…i cannot understand how a game company can fuck up the controller though. i haven´t tried it mself yet so i am still hoping that i will like it, but that preview really sounds nasty. i mean the controller really IS important. you will use this thing a lot. when i first saw the design of the pro i was totally sold on it. made sense. esp. for multiplat ports and classic games.
    every time i pick up the 360 pad, i still realise how good it feels. truly my fave pad ever, thats why i like the pro´s desing as well – but it needs weight.

@ Dragon: i use wired 360 pads too atm. to me the wired ones feel better because they lack the battery packs…but without those they are almost a bit too light for my taste…