Sections

Star Citizen developer asking fans if they want the game on Kickstarter

Tuesday, 16th October 2012 21:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Star Citizen developer, Cloud Imperium, has asked fans on its Facebook page whether they would like the project to be posted on Kickstarter.

The developers are gauging interest by asking fans to “like” the Kickstarter post on Facebook. So far, 912 people like the idea.

Cloud Imperium started crowd-funding Star Citizen on its own webpage last week, and so far, close to 9,000 people have donated $825,000 towards the $2 million goal.

There are 24 days left for the studio to hit the goal.

The studio said it didn’t go with Kickstarter straight away due to being able to connect with the “crowd” more directly through its own site, and so there would just be “one destination” for fans to visit in order to donate and glean more information ion Star Citizen.

Setting up crowd funding through its own website, Roberts Space Industries, also ensured that fans from all over the globe could contribute to funding.

Star Citizen, still in early development stages, will not require a subscription, but will not be free-to-play either.

The game will be available for a one-time purchase, and while players will be able to play in the Star Citizen universe for free, there will also be virtual items available for purchase with in-game credits so players can customize their ships and other items.

Star Citizen is due for release in 2014 on PC.

Via Polygon.

Latest

5 Comments

  1. thesamy

    i realy think they should put it on kickstart becuse this starup made it possible to other people to get well…. kickstart and they should get the cut out of the deals that uses this great idea.

    other then that i dont think it will bring alot more $

    #1 2 years ago
  2. NocturnalB

    Look he had a cool idea trying to totally cut out all middlemen, and they’ve done decently well, but they should definitely post it on kickstarter.

    They’re at $850,000 of their $2 million goal with 9,400 backers as of now, if they put it up on kickstarter, with how awesome the samples and explainations of the game look, it will easily surpass their $2 million goal.

    I want to play this game.

    #2 2 years ago
  3. voxelman

    I think they are doing ok themselves, if they go through Kickstarter they will have to give them a cut. They could do a kickstarter later to try and reach the unmet stretch goals I guess, for those people that would prefer the kickstarter system.

    #3 2 years ago
  4. Canalla

    The $2m mark is to found the “basic” version of the game, they really should go for kickstarter to maybe pass the marks they set themselves (from $3m to $6m)

    #4 2 years ago
  5. TheWulf

    I think that KickStarter is a fairly benign middle-man, though. Almost to the point of actually not being one. Their cut is only 5 per cent, and Amazon’;s is only 2 per cent. So in total you have a 7 per cent cut. Which, compared to most services, is not huge.

    And considering the amount of eyes that KickStarter can get on your project, it’s worth the small cut. I think so, anyway. Before sites like this particularly fine one started rambling about Star Citizen, I was completely oblivious as to its existence. It’s not my kind of game, anyway. (I want space games to be less clerical and sterile, not more. More Star Control II, less Freespace. Man, what I wouldn’t give to see Toys for Bob KickStart a Star Control-inspired franchise…)

    I’ve nothing against them, though. And I hope it’s successful. I think that being on KickStarter and getting all those extra eyes on it will further ensure that success.

    #5 2 years ago

Comments are now closed on this article.