Prey 2 “in limbo”, says Human Head

Tuesday, 16th October 2012 02:27 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Prey 2′s troubled development status has been further muddied by an enigmatic comment from Human head designer Nathan Cheever.

“By the way, Prey 2 hasn’t been officially canceled, only in limbo,” the developer tweeted.

Clarifying the comment, Cheever later said it’s “nothing new”, as Bethesda had confirmed the title is “on hold” for “quality reasons”.

Presumably, the designer was referring to the publisher’s April announcement that the game had been pushed back for not meeting standards. However, Bethesda had not made any suggestion that development had ceased or stymied, merely that it was taking longer than expected, making Cheever’s comment somewhat concerning and likely to re-ignite rumours of contractual problems between the two companies.

Bethesda’s keeping quiet on the issue, although it recently re-confirmed that the first-person effort had not been cancelled.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Nath_gamer

I have never played Prey before but the CGI trailer for Prey 2 was awesome looking, I hope they get a wake up call from getting pushed back for not meeting standards, and if that’s the standards of Bethesda I’d start to get a little worried as Bethesda’s standards seem to be pretty low in terms of quality. Not saying Skyrim’s a bad game or anything I love it, it’s just that it seems all games with Bethesda on the cover have pretty low standards (brink & Fallout to name a couple)

2. heyvc

No.. Nooo…That is not true… That is not possible…….Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

3. Phoenixblight

THats because of Blur Studios. It has nothing to do with Human Head studio.

4. Nath_gamer

@3 OK, I don’t know who they are but if they are affiliated with Bethesda then they should get rid of them.

5. NocturnalB

The first Prey came out way back at the beginning of the 360, they need to either “shit or get off the pot”. It’s been almost 8 years.

6. Phoenixblight

Nothing to do with Bathesda. Blur Studio is an animation house and only do trailers for games and movies.

7. Nath_gamer

@6 Then why did you say it was because of them that Bethesda are low quality?

8. The_Red

It’s not just the CGI trailer. There was a lengthy gameplay trailer / walkthrough and it was simply brilliant. Felt like a mix of Dishonored and Blade Runner.

9. roadkill

This is really sad. I was looking forward to hear more about this game.

10. Ali

Of all the awesome games I have been looking for, Prey 2 is on its way of never getting released. At first, I was standing beside Human Head.. I still think that they are the best for the job, but if it had to be handed to another developer then so be it.

It is not a quality problem, it is all about $$.

11. YoungZer0

Fuck Bioshock Infinite, i want this game! Come on, a Blade Runner like game on an Alien Planet, how awesome is that?

12. Dave Cook

I saw this game behind closed doors at gamescom last year. I liked what I saw. Open world futuristic metropolis that you can free-run around at your leisure, capturing alien criminals. Yes please.

13. YoungZer0

@12: There is gameplay footage of the game online:

It still looks fantastic.

14. Phoenixblight

I was talking about why the CGI trailer was so good nothing about the actual game.

15. Nath_gamer

@14 oh ok thanks for the clarification, but I meant that the concept of the game seemed awesome, and that was all done by the developer, the blur studio just made the trailer the way the developer wanted it.

16. Phoenixblight

“the blur studio just made the trailer the way the developer wanted it.”

More or less that is true but in most case Developers give them the concept art and let BLur have free reign with the trailers and animation.

The only exception I know of that they didn’t have complete free reign was in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo intro and the TOR trailer(s).

17. Nath_gamer

@16 well I don’t think that’s entirely true, if they had freedom to make the trailer whatever they want they could make the game look like it’s just picking up dog shit and eating it. The developers would want them to make a trailer that demonstrates what the game will be like.

18. Phoenixblight

Look at all the Trailers they have done for Bioware. None of them show the actual game and what it is like.

Dragon Age Ashes trailer has the characters jumping around like squirrels. In Dragon age you don’t jump.

In fact all of the trailers show nothing of what happens in the actual game. You obviously are talking about something you don’t understand especially since you would see this if you watch all their trailers and played the games that they made the trailers about.

Plus Blur doesn’t get paid millions for 10-30 seconds of a trailer so they could make crap trailers. They get paid that amount because they know what they hell they are doing and their clients don’t have to hold their hands.

19. Nath_gamer

Well obviously you correct, as I stated before I have never played Prey, and that’s fair enough to say but the developer would still have the final word on the trailer they wouldn’t want it to be too off topic for the game. I have also never played any bioware game cuz they all look boring, and I’m not just assuming this I have played a few of the demos to check them out but yeah blah blah blah Prey 2 looks good.