Wii price cut: $129.99 bundle includes Wii Sports & Wii Sports Resort

Monday, 15th October 2012 13:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii has received a US price drop from Nintendo ahead of the Wii U launch next month, with a new bundle launching October 28th.

Polygon reports that the new $129.99 bundle will include Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, and will roll out across America from October 28th.

Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing, said on of the cut, “Nearly six years after it launched, people are still attracted to the pure, inclusive fun of the Wii console. A new suggested retail price and the inclusion of two great games make it an easy choice for families looking for a great value this holiday season.”

What do you make of this new price-point? Is it decent value?

1. ManuOtaku

I think for the good list of wii games that are available at this time in its lifecycle, i think is a good value, heck if i didnt had to buy a WiiU and a vita this chritmas, i might bite, my sons Wii did passed away it doesnt read discs, only plays the download(virtual console) games.

2. Len

Hoping they bring something similar out in the UK (are they vg247?) as was going to get a WiiU for my nephew but it’s too pricey and not enough software (and tbh he’s not old enough to notice). So looking to get him a Wii bundle instead. This would be perfect.

3. monkeygourmet

They should make a Wii that looks like a NES or Gamecube for a limited edition, i’d bite!

It could be pre-installed with some NES Virtual Console games and include some retro wireless pads!

Also, the sensor bar is built in

4. Sini

feel sorry for the kids who will get this for their present this holiday season.

5. Nath_gamer

I totally agree, I hate how parents think the Wii is a good thing, and just because it’s cheap it still sells, but everyone who gets one is sick of it within a week.

6. DSB

@5 Then again, that’s me with every console since the Megadrive.

They’re all lagging so far behind that it’s a pain to use them if you’ve been in contact with any device released over the last six years.

The Wii is actually the number one device for viewing Netflix in America if you don’t count the PC, which is also my primary use of the one I share with my wife.

It doesn’t have to be the be all and end all of consoles to sell, it just has to be cheap and useful.

7. Nath_gamer

Wise words but think of it this way, if a household already has a Wii it is highly unlikely they’ll be getting any other console any time soon, and THAT is unfair to other consoles.

8. DSB

@7 Because…. What.

Also, consoles have feelings now? I’m sure they’ll get over it.

9. Nath_gamer

I obviously meant their respective companies.
    I know many people who have a Wii and they want to upgrade to something like say the PS3, but they can’t because their parents say they already have a Wii.

10. DSB

Companies also don’t have feelings :P

Being bought a console by your parents is a privilege, not a right. They’ll get over that too.

Or they could just wish for a bike or something less disappointing. Getting free shit can be a real burden.

11. Nath_gamer

@10 You assume I meant that there expecting their parents to buy it for them, even if that is what they expect they would get it if they didn’t already have a Wii (for Christmas or birthday), and what did you mean by something less disappointing? they want to upgrade their home console so they wont be disappointed any-more by their Wii. They will not “get over that too” if “that” your referring to is a PS3.

And yeah, Companies do have feelings, Their run by people who have feelings.
    And it’s not about people’s feelings, It’s about being profitable so they can stay afloat in the industry, and the Wii’s dominance is somewhat unfair.

12. Digital Bamboo

@4 & 5 – Sound like spoiled kids to me.

Wii has plenty of great games, plus classics on the VC. You should consider yourself lucky that your family can even afford a Wii. Many can’t.

If the Wii’s not good enough for you, then I suggest you get a job, save up, & buy yourself a PS3 or 360. But if you’re too young to work, then you’re probably too young to play most of the games on the PS3 & 360 anyway, so it sounds like your parents are making a good call.

Also, if anyone really got sick of their Wii within a week of getting it, I think they have issues. A PS3 isn’t going to help with those.

13. Nath_gamer

@12 Don’t talk about something you know nothing about, I’m talking from personal experience, my friends who range from 12 to 17 have played my PS3 and have been doing so for about 3 years now and still can’t convince their parents to let them get a PS3 with their own money. They don’t mind the kiddy games, and there are PLENTY of choices for younger kids on the PS3, not sure about 360 though with needlessly violent games like gears of war, but please don’t assume that my friends have issues, Every single person I know who has a Wii, that’s about 10 different people/households all got sick of their Wii within 3 months of getting it.

14. Digital Bamboo

@13 All right Nath, I have no interest in getting into this any further with a kid.

I had assumed you were talking about people that were too young to work, because I’ve never heard of parents forbidding their children to buy something with money they’ve earned themselves. Really? A 16-17 year old who isn’t allowed to buy what they want with their own money? That’s a new one. What is their incentive to work at all then?