Halo 4′s second disc is for 8GB multiplayer install

Monday, 15th October 2012 16:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Halo 4 code leaked online recently and netted the pirates some Xbox Live perma-bans for their trouble. After shots of Halo 4 code appeared featuring a second disc, gamers began to wonder what it was for. Microsoft has now put speculation to rest.

Microsoft stated way back in the summer that Halo 4 would require 8GB of free hard drive space to play.

The publisher recently revealed to Joystiq that the second Halo 4 disc is that 8GB install, which covers the game’s multiplayer component, stating that the disc “contains data that will need to be installed on an Xbox 360 hard drive or compatible flash storage device with at least 8GB of available memory in order to access ‘Halo 4′s’ extensive suite of multiplayer features.”

There we go, mystery solved.

1. doa766

no mystery

minutes after it was downloaded the first few times last friday all torrent sites clearly indicated on the torrent details that users should only download disc 1 because 2 was for MP purposes which can not be played with an illegal copy anyway

2. Hirmetrium

I feel sorry for those with 4gb xbox’s. Surely they are redundant, and its pointless to sell them with so little memory, by now?

3. G1GAHURTZ

^ I’m sure they can just buy an official USB if they want to play Halo online.

4. Mike

They should just release the game as two separate SKUs. I don’t want the multiplayer, it’s on a separate disk, why should I pay for it? Just give me the campaign.

5. Hunam

You can make that as a case for every single game that has MP though if you don’t have LIVE.

6. polygem

@4: you still might be interested in spartan ops….that sounds pretty great, even if you are only interested in a sp experience. it´s probably on disc 2 as well.

7. Christopher Jack

Where’s Da Man attacking Microsoft for having a 4GB console(less than 12!) which requires mandatory installs? Oh yeah, it’s Microsoft- duh, my bad.

8. Ge0force

#7 I was thinking the same thing. Microsoft sells and promotes 4GB consoles that can’t even run their flagship game, and everybody is okay with that. But if Sony removes the OtherOS option that no one uses, there’s a huge war going on.

After the RROD disaster, the payed Gold subscription required for P2P gaming and access to free apps/F2P games, the lies that Kinect can do core games, the ads on the dashboard and now this, it’s clear to me that Xbots accept anything from Microsoft.

9. Hunam

I’d imagine you could just buy a cheap 16GB flash drive and install it on that. They cost £6.