New 0x10c footage released, gameplay detailed

Friday, 12th October 2012 19:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

New 0x10c footage has been released by Notch, and according to the game maker, he wants the game to feel a bit like Firefly.

Speaking with PC Gamer, Markus Persson also discussed the gameplay with the site.

“The goal is to have it feel a bit like Firefly,” he said. “You can try to land on a planet but you mess up and, instead of having the ship just explode like it would in real life, the landing gear gets broken. Then you have to try to fix that by finding resources.

“Instead of the adventure being flying from here to here, it’s: I set the destination, oh god I hit a small asteroid and the cloaking device broke. I think they really nailed that kind of emergent aspect in FTL. ”

Tobias Möllstam, one of the developers on the game said: “I’d really like for stuff to go wrong, but I think we’ve managed to establish a philosophy where things can go wrong and we’re not going to judge too much. Like you run something at 120% and catches fire, but you just about make it. It’s kind of cheesey but I like it. Having a programmable and customizable ship means that there’s a lot more investment, and the game should reflect that and allow you to have it for a long time.”

Notch said he is “trying to design the game so you don’t have to know programming,” but you can share the code.

“If you have a friend who’s made this really awesome docking algorithm, you can put that on a floppy disk within the game and put that into your computer.”

At this point in development the game isn’t multiplayer, as he team is just “trying to figure out the actual mechanics for it.”

“With Minecraft I waited too long to add multiplayer, so that was a huge hassle,” said Notch. “So now, as soon as it’s fun, I’m going to do the multiplayer. But nothing in the game is fun right now. I need to figure out what is actually a fun game mechanic in all of this.”

Learn more about 0x10c through the link.

1. LuLshuck

I like the FPS gameplay, bit like timesplitters and perfect dark

2. monkeygourmet

Minecraft in space, no?

3. Erthazus

What is this shit?

DOOM4 with DOOM 1,2 visuals?

4. roadkill

Firefly ftw! :D

5. Phoenixblight

For someone like you this game wouldn’t be for you nor any of Mojang games. Its about the gameplay over art.

6. roadkill

@5 What do you mean someone like him?

7. freedoms_stain

^ Graphics whore.

8. Erthazus

@5, what art have to do with this?

I liked Minecraft. It is really good in my opinion.

But here we see 89-90s shooting mechanics, 90s graphics for the FPS genre. Okay, let’s just say that it is indie and budget is really low (considering that Notch’s office nominated for the best office award.). It’s all about creativity and gameplay.

But, but where is the gameplay? I see a crappy clone of DOOM 1 right now or crappy clone of Duke Nukem 3D.

Please, don’t tell me that PC with DOS is something innovative there. You want to play with MS DOS? Let me help you.

Windows 7:

1. Click Start.
    2. Type cmd and press enter button on your keyboard.

Windows 2000 or XP:

1. Click Start.
    2. Click Run.
    3. Type cmd or command and press enter button on your keyboard.

9. monkeygourmet

Dude, there’s nothing here that indicates a full game…

Just wait a bit till its fleshed out…

10. Phoenixblight

“DOOM4 with DOOM 1,2 visuals?”

You did not me. If you were talking about the gameplay you didn’t mention you went right for the eye candy.

11. Erthazus

That was sarcasm.

But really they didn’t showed anything innovative. They showed the gameplay and it was not generic, it was just too simple for something generic.

12. Phoenixblight

The game is centered on emergent systems and will be code centric. Nothing like Minecraft which also wasn’t that innovative with gameplay either.

13. TMRNetShark

I would just like to think what is running through Notch’s mind while doing this gameplay…

“See all you motherfuckers… I had to program into this code all of this fancy lighting… appreciate it mother fuckers… APPRECIATE.” XD