Xbox Live account migration confirmed for gamers moving country

Thursday, 11th October 2012 09:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 360 gamers who have moved country will know the pain of having to ditch their Xbox Live account and start over. But now Microsoft has opened up account migration so that anyone can transfer their profile to different regions, but it comes with consequences.

WM Power User reports on a statement made by Microsoft on the matter. Here’s a grab of the statement:

The site added that Microsoft has now started to accept migration requests.

It’s a manual process that can take as long as six weeks to complete, and some Xbox Live games will not survive the process due to licensing restrictions in some regions, but it’s a first step at least.

Have you ever lost your profile due to migration? Let us know below.

Thanks GAF.

1. Lord Gremlin

Well, that’s a start. To be honest, it should be available for all platforms. Surly, it’s done badly, it’s Microsoft, but that’s a start of a good thing overall.

2. Da Man

I bet the stupid Microsoft will be giving out free MS points again. MS can never do anything properly.

What can you expect from them, really? Bushido Sony they are not.

3. zinc

Why was the restriction imposed in the first place?

4. KrazyKraut

I am living in Germany and made a PSN US Account to play uncensored demos and stuff. And it was no problem to switch to my German, UK or Japanese Account to download DLCs and play them on my US Account….but since its not possible on the Vita (FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!), I wish they would do something like MS did.

5. Timurse

This kind of migration was always present from the moment such countries joined XBL – Russia, Brazil, etc. So that hundreds of thousands gamers could move from unofficial USA and UK accounts to their respectable local Xbox Lives.
    BUT. B____U____T. You lose all the content you’ve ever bought on your account. So, when you lose your Xbox or HDD – you can only redownload your profile and all the content you purchased AFTER migration. The same thing happened to me. I had to make migration for Gears of War 3 beta to work but a few months ago my HDD crashed. So I lost all the content.

6. Lord Gremlin

@5 Wow that is a total rip-off.