Dishonored PC crashing for some, Bethesda offers advice

Thursday, 11th October 2012 13:16 GMT By Dave Cook

Dishonored launched on Tuesday in the States to rave reviews. However, PC players have been experiencing a spot of bother with crashing. Bethesda has stepped in to offer a solution.

PCGamesN reports that Dishonored PC players have taken to the game’s forum to flag up crash issues.

One common issue stems from ATI graphics card users, who have complained that Dishonored will freeze and start spooling off error codes before reverting back to the user’s desktop.

Bethesda has responded with the following advice, “Another thing worth trying is right clicking on Dishonored in Steam, go to properties, and click on ‘set launch options’. In there, enter: ‘-windowed’ without the quotation marks. That should force it to run in windowed mode, perhaps that’ll help you start the game.”

Here’s the error window from when the crash occurs:

The forum moderator posted the above image before adding, “I can’t say I know what it means or what the problem is, but maybe someone else does. The devs are checking this forum so they’ll be aware at least.”

Have you been affected? Let us know below.

1. Talkar

Looks like a faulty DllImport to me. Most likely caused by the ATI drivers, so you’ll have to wait for ATI to make proper drivers. Can’t say for sure though, since i don’t really have the source code for the game x)

2. NeoSquall

I can’t understand why Radeon cards continue to have failing/faulty drivers; it’s been about a decade since it started and even the AMD acquisition failed to put an end to this messy situation.

3. CPC_RedDawn

Not getting this crash at all seen as I am using SKIDROWS crack so I dont have to have STEAM running in the background (yes I did buy it legit so don’t even comment).

4. CPC_RedDawn

I have a HD7970 using the latest 12.9 beta’s from AMD and the drivers are completely solid for me. I have no idea what you are talking about, nothing crashes, all my games work flawlessly with high frame rates at max settings. Unless you are talking about Crossfire then yea sure, the drivers are still a little buggy with newer and a lot older games too. Other than that 12.6 .7 .8 and .9 have been excellent since I got my card all improving performance over the last.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Still… Being the PC gaming community, you lot can just buy new graphics cards, and problem solved, eh?

Easy.

6. Patrick Garratt

@3 Play it slower! http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/09/dishonored-too-short-youre-doing-it-wrong/

7. Maximum Payne

I have (now old) 5770 ati and still didn’t have problem with games like Skyrim, Rage, saboteur… I think I only have problem with Brink but that was bad game :D

8. Sini

amd peasants with their drivers

9. xxJPRACERxx

Can also be a problem with memory. Should try to increase the page file size. Also, in the pic this is a 32-bit version of Windows. Should install the 64-bit.

Also, if there’s an option to play the game in window-mode can also help sometime.

10. Len

No problems for me so far but am using a gtx 670, switched from ati in the Summer after more and more errors kept cropping up.

Anyway, one of the best games I’ve played in years so far. Over 7 hours in so Steam tells me and just finished the 1st mission. Wonderful stuff… :)

11. jdonner

CPC_RedDawn wrote: “I wish I had not of brought it though as the game is practically just a mishmash of other games thrown into one that makes for some of the most boring, un-inventive gameplay I have ever played. I seriously do not see the hype in the game at all, I’ve nearly completed it too, its pretty easy and its NOT at all open world like some people are saying. Also, the I’ve only played the story for about 5 hours and I have one mission left… Very very short too.”

It’s very clear that you have no clue how to play this game. The challenge is not to complete the missions by running like crazy on lower difficulty levels, this is about completing the game in stealth, trying to find the right solutions for any particular situation without ever getting noticed by the enemies. There is a reason why this is getting an average 9 in 44 reviews, that alone should have been an indication that your approach is obviously wrong and the fact that you write ” I’ve only played the story for about 5 hours and I have one mission left” only confirms it. Heck, many people could finish those same levels in less than 3 hours. lol

You clearly play way too Call of Duty or similar recycled crap…sigh

12. Logic0920

I FOUND A WAY AROUND IT, IF YOU’RE PLAYING IT FROM STEAM, RIGHT CLICK ON THE GAME GO TO PROPERTIES, CLICK SET LAUNCH LAUNCH OPTIONS AND TYPE -WINDOWED, THIS WILL MAKE THE GAME LAUNCH IN WINDOWED SMALLER FORM, FROM THERE JUST CHANGE THE SETTINGS TO FULL SCREEN AND PICK YOUR RESOLUTION!!!!