Tekken Tag Tournament 2 update adds fighters and stages

Wednesday, 10th October 2012 07:26 GMT By Stace Harman

Namco Bandai has released a free update for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 that adds a host of new characters and stages; details and videos through the break.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Namco Bandai’s royal rumble of fighters, has received a new update that adds three new characters and four new stages. In keeping with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 director Katsuhiro Harda’s previous stance on the matter of new-fighter DLC, the update is free.

The new combatants are: Slim Bob, Miharu Hirano and Sebastian, while the new stages take in locations in Chile, Poland, Saudi Arabia and Russia.

Thanks, ThatVideogameBlog

1. CyberMarco

Take note CapCom!

2. Ireland Michael

@1 Capcom should take note of nothing in this case.

Why? Because this update is a glorified unlock code.

All these new characters, stages, endings, costumes, and modes are already on the disc. The update simply makes them available. The only stuff you actually download – the music – is paid DLC.

Free DLC my ass. They’re just playing up on the negativity towards Capcom to earn some brownie points by pretending to offer “free” content.

3. CyberMarco

@2 And what’s the problem if it’s already on the disk? At least they don’t charge you for some unlocking KB.

And, at least for me, music DLC isn’t so important for the game experience, in comparison with new characters and stages!

4. Ireland Michael

@3 It’s not “DLC” if it’s on the disc.

If its already on the disc, why would you artificially block it until a later date? What the hell does that achieve?

They didn’t “give” us anything.

It’s amazing how willing gamers are to be completely buttfucked by developers sometimes, or the kind of bullshit dishonesty they’re willing to accept or justify.

5. KrazyKraut

DLC : DISC LOCKED CONTENT

6. viralshag

You’re not forced to buy it. Fans have that option. What’s to complain about?

I generally have no problem offering a company more money if I’m happy with their game. I’m sure they would rather have my money as support than me saying “hey, I’m a big fan!”.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Its a mandatory update that “unlocks” content that was already on the disc. It’s not even something you can download.

They said it was DLC. It isn’t. It’s a bunch of updates to give the consumer access to content that is already sitting on the disc, simply waiting to be unlocked at Namco’s discretion.

And this is some sort of “kindness” by the developers? Please.

8. viralshag

Then I’m even more at a loss at what the problem is here?

Simple tactic to get people to come back and play your game if they’ve put it down for a while.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 The simple fact that it shouldn’t be locked in the first place.

At the very least, they should stop bare-faced lying and saying that it’s “free DLC” when it clearly bloody well isn’t.

10. CyberMarco

@Michael I wasn’t referring “Capcom watch and learn” because it’s “free” DLC, but because Namco wont charge any $$$ for the extra. Still, I agree that this should have been available from day 1.

*Pro tip: To everyone here and on the internets, use some kindness and courtesy, it doesn’t hurt!

11. viralshag

@9, It’s free. They want to release more content at intervals. On the disc or not, you don’t have to pay for it, people really can’t wait?

They are not charging for content that’s already on a disc, they’re simply using it to keep people interested in the game. How awful of them!

12. absolutezero

Its an interesting way to keep interest in the game going and to perhaps bring those that have set the game aside back into playing the game.

Its a lure. Its free and it was obviously planned like that from the start.

13. G1GAHURTZ

If you’re a developer, you can lock whatever content you want. It’s your product, and no-one has to buy it.

People have no right to feel entitled to something, when they could be paying a lot more for a lot less, anyway.

There are some games that cost £45, and you get 10 hours of linear SP gameplay.

If a studio wants to charge you £35 and lock content from you until you’ve reached 50 hours of varied, MP gameplay, then you’re being a bit irrational if you think that they don’t have a right to do that with their own product.

It’s their work.

Other people don’t have the right to tell them how they can and can’t sell it.

14. Sylrissa

Regardless of being on disc or not, it’s free, I’m constantly shocked that people can complain about free content.

Assuming it was on disc, as long as they don’t charge you for said content it’s okay, and they can delay it for an update later all they want, is that a marketing lure?. Of course it is, but that’s business and I don’t see the problem.

The problem comes in when they charge you for content that was ready before the game went gold.

15. ManuOtaku

#13 GIGA i agree they have their right to do what they want to do with their product, but as soon as the user paid for the physical disc, you can consider is also their product too, i mean the consumer at least to some extent, not to start an entitlenment discussion here, but the user do owns the license for what it is on the physical disc, locked or not locked, therefore is not that we are not aware they can do pretty much what they want to do with their products, is that is also the user product too in the end, therefore the wise thing to do from a company perspective is to take care of your customer, which is not what they are taking in consideration here, those actions are not seem in a good way for the consumers, and rightly so IMHO.

16. G1GAHURTZ

I agree that it’s the consumer’s disc once they’ve paid for it, Manu.

But they’ve bought a product that has been deliberately designed to function in a particular way.

For example, in CoD, it takes roughly between 400-600 hours of playing online to unlock all of the badges/emblems/extra loadout slots/etc. They have deliberately made it impossible for you to unlock that stuff until you’ve played the game for a minimum of about 400 hours.

Most people will never get that stuff.

If I’ve just bought the game, can I now demand the right to have all of those locked things from day 1? Without even playing a single match?

Of course not. That’s the way that the developer designed their product, even though I am the owner of the disc.

Can I go online in my first game with everything unlocked, while someone who’s put 300 hours into the game doesn’t have them yet? Just because those assets are already on my disc?

It doesn’t make sense.

I bought a product that is designed to function in a particular way.

So how can I then turn around and tell the developer that they didn’t design it in the way that I wanted them to? Just because it’s already on the disc, so I should get it now?

17. ManuOtaku

#16 fair point GIGA, but you get the whole unlocks in COD by playing the game, mastering it, and being a better player while you play it, which is a great thing, iam not against that, but i dont see this holds some resemblance or it is somewhat related with what is happening here, because it doenst matter how many hours you put into the game, you will not unlocked it, only by paying it, as an extra cost for an extra feature, like additional characters, stages, etc, that are on the disc, which is the only aspect i see it looks like your example, both are on the disc, but one is unlocked playing, the other paying, therefore i think is not the same thing, one has an specific game purpose, to keep you hook while you keep mastering the game, while at the same time ,it gives players that had put more hours on the game, more assets in rewards for doing that, the other the only purpose is getting more money from the consumers, not gameplay specific purposes like you brightly put it with the COD example.

18. Sylrissa

Some very fair points, and I do miss the days when you could unlock the hidden on disc new characters, by beating the arcade mode with the original cast of characters.

While I would very much prefer the unlocks that way, I’m not going to hate on them as long as they at least don’t have the gall to charge me for those hidden characters.

19. G1GAHURTZ

@Manu:

I agree with a lot that you said, but I’m not really commenting on the reasons for the locking, though. Only the right of the developer to do it.

I don’t see a problem with a developer keeping something locked until a person pays for it. After all, 999 times out of 1000 these days, games are made for no other reason than to make money, anyway.

That’s the developer’s right. They are working hard to sell products, and they can charge their customers money for what they want to.

I’m just pointing out that I don’t agree with the idea that every person who buys a disc is entitled to get 100% of what’s on that disc, when he wants to, if that’s not the way that the disc was intended to be used by the people who made it.

20. ManuOtaku

#19 Ok GIGA i got you, in that regard i agree they have the right, i was discussing the reasons for that, which are the points i do have some qualms about it, but i do understand your point, and i agree with it to some extent.

21. Pushing888

Been waiting for so long