Rayman Legends Wii U exclusivity explained, gives ‘complete package’

Monday, 8th October 2012 10:58 GMT By Dave Cook

Rayman Legends publisher Ubisoft has revealed why it has chosen to keep the legless hero’s next outing solely on the Wii U format. Find out why below.

ONM reports that level designer Chris McEntee explained the attraction of Wii U to Nintendo Power.

In the interview, McEntee stated, “Here you buy the Wii U system, you buy the game, and you can experience all of the content without extras. And we didn’t want to give somebody half of the experience just for the sake of getting it out on another console.”

He’s referring to the Wii U’s specific features such as gamepad support, touch screen co-op and more, all of which currently is not provided by other consoles. Ubisoft hasn’t ruled out Xbox 360 or PS3 versions of the games entirely, but after McEntee’s quotes it’s anyone’s guess again.

Thoughts? Have you tried Rayman Legends yet? VG247 has and we came away charmed and positive.

1. matirishhh

There isn’t one thing that VITA/PS3 couldn’t do that WIIU can.
    I would be totally dissapointed if Legends won’t release on other platforms. I think that Rayman Origins is the best platformer in years and it was my GOTY of 2011.

2. KrazyKraut

“Here you buy the Wii U system, you buy the game, and you can experience all of the content without extras.”
    I thought its a complete package, but without extras? Dont get it…

3. Fin

Try Rayman Run on Android/iOS if you can, it’s pretty good.

He’s presumably alluding to Kinect and Move.

4. stx

That statement is what’s called a “non-denial denial”. He is clearly trying not to give a straight answer about the exclusivity, so it’s basically a confirmation that the game IS coming to PS3/360 later in some form.
    They are payed by Nintendo for the timed exclusivity deal and it’s very normal that developers/publishers are not allowed to talk about such a deal.

5. CycloneFox

I bought Rayman Origins on PS3 and Vita and totally loved it. But I would not buy a Wii U for it, so I’m pretty frustrated about this mess.

As #1 stated, you can do everything and even more on PS3+Vita, that Wii U can. So why don’t 3rd party developers see that? (Isn’t Sony also planning a PS3+Vita bundle?) This is the problem with narrow minded publishers or developers. With “Cross Control”, Sony provides an API for 3rd party-developers, to use (alternative or important) features they already have developed for Wii U implementation to use on PS3.

If you really keep it exclusive, Ubisoft, you will at least loose me as a potential day-one buyer for this. (Of course I’ll get a Wii U later on, but until then, I think I’ll get a used copy)

6. DrDamn

They can see it but there isn’t a viable market there for PS3+Vita in this way – not yet anyway. Every Wii owner will have a screened controller, that is really quite a big thing in terms of assessing your market and how many games you are likely to sell. Though actually couldn’t they just do a Vita version?

7. matirishhh

@3 I’m not into mobile gaming really. But I saw the trailer, it was good.

@5 I own PS3/VITA as well, and I really hope developers are already hard in work on cross gaming initiatives. Origins was released on all platforms (including 3ds) I believe R:LEGENDS is only a time exclusive to boost the WIIU sales. It would be such a shame if not. I love the idea of bringing different mythologies and twisting them with Rayman’s crazy universe.

8. The_Red

This game will probably bomb just like the awesome Origins because people don’t pay much attention to games Call, Duty or Fifa in them. That will cause the game to go multi platform and 360 / PS3 / PC will end up with a great game that’s missing its sublime Wii U features.

9. OlderGamer

You guys are fooling yourself if you think there is going to be a mass market effort to get PS3/4 and VITA to work together and mimic the same experiences found on WiiU.

Let me take you back:

“but PS3 and Move is just like Wii, but with HD graphics”

How did that work out for you? Sure some games have move support but was/is Move a slaes motivating factor for Sony? No.

Look:

“There are limited resources that third party publishers have, and they have to diversify into new areas constantly; that’s a challenge to get the support that we want….”

Note where he talks about limited 3rds party rescourses.

And:

“One thing that was surprising and disappointing to us was the [lower] number of third parties to come out [in support] after launch,” he told Gamasutra.”

—– http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-01-yoshida-sony-surprised-and-disappointed-by-third-party-support-for-vita

There is so much evidence staring us in the face. It makes for great PR, but the reality is simply that Vita + PS3 is not going to match the impact that WiiU is going to have. Sadly, some of you guys won’t be able to see that, and to you I am just trolling.

The basic facts are:

Vita is too expensive.
    Vita+PS3 is way too expensive.
    Not everyone that owns a PS3 or a Vita, also owns the other system. Everyone that owns a WiiU will have a tablet controler. Even if Vita gets packed in to ALL PS3s going forward, pubs will see a split market and won’t program for what will amount to a minorty of users.

What will happen with Vita? I don’t know. If the price drops and Sony stay comited it should pick up. It will never catch or surpass whatever edition of Gameboy Nintendo is selling at the time. And it will never be a tool to fight WiiU sales.

And before you Sony guys get too up in arms, I think WiiU will have a tough go of it too. MS will own the next gen imo. Not because of the games, but because of the services they will be bringing to the table. And they, not Sony will have a better chance of bringing a second screen into the frey with the second glass stuff, using tablets and smart phones that people already have. If that works out it could be huge.

Sonys relevence is slipping imo. They can’t compete with Nintendo and they can’t out MS, MS. They are going to have a very hard time carving out markets for themself going forward. Esp next gen. The one bright spot they have going for them is PSN+. But that scheme will prolly just be adopted by MS down the road. Or maybe even Nintendo. I could easly see Nintendo giving away VC content monthly(for a sub fee) much the sameway Sony does. And you know MS have noticed PSN+.

I feel Sony have lost their identity this gen. I mean what do they stand for? They copy Nintendo to an embarasing degree(Move, LBPK, PSAS, Vita/ps3). They are just followers at this point. Where is the company that took over the game world with PSx and held onto it with PS2?