GameCube titles to release via Wii U Virtual Console – rumor

Saturday, 6th October 2012 17:54 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GameCube titles will be release via Wii U’s Virtual Console, according to UK’s Retro Gamer magazine.

The magazine notes that while Wii titles will be backwards compatible on the console – something Nintendo has already attested to – GameCube titles will only be available on Wii U through “the Virtual Console store.”

Last month, Nintendo executive Amber Mcollom revealed GameCube discs would not be compatible with Wii U, and NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime further elaborated with “a smile and a wink,” that he would personally “love” for GameCube titles to be available on the console, but had “nothing to announce right now.”

The newest information from Retro Gamer either means the magazine has confirmation of this or it is just stated what everyone has already figured out: GameCube titles will have to be purchased again – digitally – in order to be played on the new system.

Thanks, Nintendo Life.

1. Christopher Jack

Seems like a cheap money grab. I get that Ninty don’t use standardized disks which seem to change each gen but surely that wouldn’t prevent the console from not being able to read it if designed right. I think BC should be a standard feature of every gaming console & if they’re going to change the format, at least offer an external device capable of reading the previous gens format or offer us a way to tie our physical collections to our game accounts to download.

2. Phoenixblight

@1 Get an older Wii if that is such an issue.

THe newer Wii’s have removed Gamecube backwards compatibility so if you thought the WIiU was going to offer it, you were mistaken.

3. DSB

It’s not like Wii reverse compatability was all that to begin with. You needed a gamecube controller and memory card to play and all.

I’d greatly prefer this sort of thing, provided that it works with the console as-is.

I hope they add Sega Soccer Slam.

4. monkeygourmet

I can’t plug my N64 cartridge’s into the Wii U?! Outrage!!!

Seriously though, Nintendo do a fairly decent job with Backwards compatability.

DS used to play GBA games
    3DS plays DS games
    Wii played Gamecube games
    Wii U plays Wii games and all peripherals are compatible

Thats a pretty good track record really. The only annoying thing about Virtual Console is that now you can’t collect NES games on Animal Crossing.

Also, Chibi Robo needs a Wii U sequel!

5. Talkar

I might consider getting a Wii again if Rogue Squadron will be available!
    That game was just awesome!

6. Dragon246

Lets hope 3rd party pubs will allow digital releases of these old games. They can be stubborn at times.

7. Showmeyomoves!

I wonder if they’ll enhance the resolution for these re-releases. ‘Cause I don’t think my mind could handle F-Zero GX in HD. O_O

8. Christopher Jack

@2, It’s not the point. You’re buying a console as a package, most households already have enough boxes under the TV. Also, why didn’t Nintendo receive the same backlash Sony did each time they removed BC?

@4, Don’t you think it’d be a slightly more attractive proposition if it did- even through a cheap adapter- assuming that your cartridges have somehow survived this long, they have the habit of suddenly dying. I personally think the N64 had some of Ninty’s best games, I still like the Pokemon Stadium games to date.

9. jacobvandy

Eh, Pokemon Stadium as it was back then wouldn’t work very well anymore. I mean, I *might* still have that Game Boy adapter that you plug into the controller so you can hook in your copy of Blue or Gold or whatever in a box somewhere, but then how would that connect to the Wii-U? If you want to hook up the controller, too, you’re basically asking for a whole new N64 that pointlessly passes through the new console, when you could just hook up your old system (or buy a new one, they sell them all over the internet and they’re smaller than a Wii now).

And even if they decided to port it to the VC, they’d have the ability to hook in your DS and transfer data that way, but anything past the second generation (251 G/S/C) wouldn’t be in the game, so there’s not really any point to it unless you had Heartgold or Soulsilver. Maybe Firered or Leafgreen if you had a DS Lite or older with the GBA slot. Sure they had stock pokemon you could use without importing anything, but that’s pretty boring IMO. It was all about seeing YOUR party go in and kick ass, not generic rentals. There are much more and better N64 games they could port over that stand on their own.

Anyhow, I actually sold off a lot of the GCN stuff I had, even though I had far fewer games for that than the ’64, so I’d have to buy them again anyway. I’d gladly pay $5-10 a pop for that core set of ten or so must-haves, in HD if at all possible. I skipped buying my own Wii (borrowed one and played some things for a while a few years back) in anticipation of the Wii-U, as I’m already pretty stoked with the compatibility it will have between those two. For starters, I still have yet to touch Skyward Sword, and never finished Twilight Princess… Plus NSMB-Wii, and a whole bunch of others. They’re still going to have the Wii VC stuff available, right?

10. lexph3re

if they announce 5 must have Wii U exclusives and 3 virtual Console titles I would buy one. I would love to have Tales of Symphonia and Baiten Kaitos 1 and 2ish. That would be more than enough for me to want the system.

11. Phoenixblight

Nintendo has only been console backwards since the wii and that is because the wii and the gamecube used the same architecture. As I said the latest Wii model doesn’t play Gamecube games so if you though WiiU was going to you were sorely mistaken.

12. polygem

that´s great if reasonably priced. i sold my small gamecube “collection” a while ago (more like some leftovers and some repurchased titles). i thought the wii bc setup was way to clumsy with the memory card and that you had to use the wiimote to start the game and couldn´t do it with the gc controller and then you had to fully shut down the system or take back the wiimote again to boot another game and stuff like this. i am not complaining but it was far from perfectly implemented. that said, i would love to get some of those games again digital.
    …and this:
    “I really hope all virtual console games can be played on the Wii U pad and beamed to the screen. That would be very cool!”
    is exactly what i am hoping for!
    i don´t know why really, but for older games i prefer playing them on handheld devices.

13. Digital Bamboo

Hm. The only Gamecube game that I missed out on that I’d be interested in playing some day is Paper Mario:TTYD.

Most of the Gamecube greats–Metroid Prime 1&2, RE:4 & Zelda:TP–have already been re-released/enhanced on the Wii.

Easily Nintendo’s weakest home console IMO. Even the major Mario game–Sunshine–while fun at the time, was a bit off.

14. Joe_Gamer

Ah…”Skies of Arcadia”, we meet again, it’s been too long old friend.

15. CPC_RedDawn

Without a doubt THE MOST UNDER RATED CONSOLE EVER!!! (and yes even more so than the dreamcast!)

I loved the Gamecube, even though it didn’t get much support it was still more about quality of quantity!

Metroid Prime 1, 2,
    Resident Evil Remake, 0,
    Mario Sunshine (I loved it thank you!),
    Pikmin 1, 2,
    StarFox Adventures,
    Star Wars Rogue Leader 2, 3,
    Resident Evil 4,
    Killer 7,
    Wind Waker,
    Soul Calibur 2 (best version!!),
    Eternal Darkness,

To name but a few! Still got mine set up as I gave my Wii to my nephew a year ago! Best console of the last generation NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!!!!!

16. deusprogrammer

Or…or…here’s an idea. Go find a Gamecube for $5 at a Goodwill. I have so many of them, I started making lamps out of them.

#16 1 year ago