World of Warcraft: Senate candidate’s gaming habit draws oppositional ire

Friday, 5th October 2012 05:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Chalk this one up under “politics, wut”: Colleen Lachowicz, a candidate for Maine’s State Senate, has become the subject of an astonishing political attack by her Republican opponents over her liking for World of Warcraft.

Lachowicz plays a level 85 orc rogue and is active within a guild. An entire website has been devoted to dressing down the Democratic candidate because of her hobby, taking snippets of in-game chat and other game-related postings as evidence of her unsuitability for office – in addition to much tut-tutting over violent games.

“I think it’s weird that I’m being targeted for playing online games. Apparently I’m in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games,” Lachowicz told NBC News.

“What’s next? Will I be ostracized for playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends? If so, guilty as charged!”

Awesome.

Thanks, Gamesradar.

1. roadkill

Awesome indeed! :)

2. DSB

Small town politics derp derp.

Ars Technica ran with an even more epic rebuttal though:

“I think it’s weird that I’m being targeted for playing online games. Apparently I’m in good company since there are 183 million other Americans who also enjoy online games. What’s next? Will I be ostracized for playing Angry Birds or Words with Friends? If so, guilty as charged!

What’s really weird is that the Republicans are going after my hobbies instead of talking about their record while they’ve been running Augusta for the last two years. Instead of talking about what they’re doing for Maine people, they’re making fun of me for playing video games. Did you know that more people over the age of 50 play video games than under the age of 18? As a gamer, I’m in good company with folks like Jodie Foster, Vin Diesel, Mike Myers, and Robin Williams. Maybe it’s the Republican Party that is out of touch.”

Awesome. I bet TheWulf still won’t vote for her though.

3. Kabby

Plays Horde. Get my vote. :D

4. TheWulf

You’re a complete and utter fucking imbecile, you realise that, right?

I’ve never had anything against the fans of games, I might not like them, but that doesn’t mean that I have no sympathy for the people who play them. Or did you miss that I’ve been angry at Blizzard in part because of how they treated their customers with Diablo III?

I don’t like WoW, but that doesn’t mean that I don’t think that this is completely ridiculous. She should be allowed to play whatever she likes. And as it stands, I’m actually left wing myself, so if I were American I’d have voted for her.

I also like that, in your post, this chain of thought occurred:

Hey, I think that TheWulf guy is pretty stupid. He must be American!

You do realise that that’s how that post came over, right? This is what I mean when I say that you don’t need my help to make yourself look foolish. I’m actually British, so I wouldn’t be able to vote for her even if I wanted to.

Some days I can’t get over your sheer conceitedness and how full of yourself you are. You’re not only foolish, but you’re also a genuinely horrible person.

I just can’t get over how slimy you are.

Good grief… I’ve known some slimeballs in my time, but you take the big old slimy cake, you do.

5. absolutezero

“Some days I can’t get over your sheer conceitedness and how full of yourself you are.”

It was a joke you over sensitive twat. One that you provided the best punchline of all time to, but a joke none the less.

6. Ireland Michael