SWTOR lead designer has left BioWare

Thursday, 4th October 2012 01:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Star Wars: The Old Republic lead designer Daniel Erickson has made his departure from BioWare official.

As Massively notes, Erickson had dropped a few hints but has now opened a Twitter account especially to air his thoughts and look for a new job.

It’s not clear why Erickson left BioWare although it’s not unusual for senior development staff to look for new opportunities after a major project, a description which seems particularly apt for the MMORPG. That said, BioWare Austin underwent heavy re-structuring resulting in lay-offs, with executive producer and studio co-founder Rich Vogel farewelling the team (and landing at a new Bethesda studio).

Erickson served at BioWare for seven years, having made the leap from games media. He worked on Dragon Age before tackling The Old Republic, where he started out as lead writer before rapidly moving on senior design roles and becoming something of a public face for ongoing development.

All the best to Daniel in his future projects.

1. GrimRita

Although Daniel is a top bloke(met him several times), his ‘vision’ for how SWTOR would play out clearly wasnt what the players wanted. Either EA cut many of his ideas out, or Daniel simply didnt have a clue.

Any game that loses over 1.4 million of its players within just 6 months only cements this. But can you place the blame for SWTORs intergalactic failure at Daniels doorstep? No.

But good luck to him.

2. Talkar

Aye, Good luck to Daniel!

3. Phoenixblight

I doubt you met him. If you actually knew him you would know this was a long time coming.

4. GrimRita

You know what PB – you’re a twat. Simple as that. And for the record, if you look back over the history of this failed game, you will note that I actually attended several hands on events and press events thanks to my friends over at LucasArts.

5. Phoenixblight

Yeah so? I actually had him as a professor along with 4 other employees of Bioware. Going to a few events vs having as a professor for 16 weeks. I have first hand experience with him in a classroom and his attitude was the reason why he left.

6. roadkill

“It’s not clear why Erickson left BioWare” Actually I think it’s pretty clear. :)

@5 But seriously now. I’m curious. Why did he leave? Be more specific please! Or don’t tell us anything if you don’t want to. Your call. No worries. As I said I’m just curious. :)