Resident Evil 6 breaks Capcom shipping records

Thursday, 4th October 2012 04:05 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Resident Evil 6 has shipped more copies than any other game in Capcom’s history, the publisher has revealed.

Siliconera reports 4.5 million copies of Resident Evil 6 have been shipped worldwide, a new record for Capcom in terms of initial shipments.

In this instance, the figure refers to the number of units sent to meet retailer demands, not sold through; Capcom is predicting 7 million sales by the end of the first quarter of 2013.

Resident Evil 6 is out now for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with a PC version due at a later date. It has received mixed reviews.

For comparison purposes, Siliconera notes that Resident Evil 5 shipped just over 4 million at launch, and went on to sell 5.8 million copies.

1. mreko3230

Its a shame the camera is a mess. I really feel the reviews could have been more favorable without that damn, wonky camera.

2. KAP

Good on Capcom for the good news, the mass market approach truly paid off then, no matter how we gamers complained. We still bought it

Just goes to show, how petty we really are when it comes to something we inially don’t favour at first get to grips with..
    I love RE6, Chris’s campaign is so sick!

3. osric90

Half of those 4.5 million people were complaining little b!tches… “Oh, it’s changed so much!”… “Oh, no horror, no RE, I miss my clunky, JPEG background based survival horror game!”… and still they enjoy the freakin’ game everyday hiding like little rats in their rooms so they can’t be judged for being just a$$holes.

4. Clupula

I’d say it’s way less than half. Maybe 1/8th are complaining, but are doing it very loudly.

As for this, I tried to find a copy today at four different Gamestops in NYC and all of them were sold out. Figure I’ll just download it from the Playstation Store if that patch issue is worked out.

5. Phoenixblight

Currently playing it with Leons Campaign. No, thankfully I didn’t buy the game. Just renting it for 2$ a night. SO far I very much glad I didn’t waste my money on this game. They took the action of RE 5 and amplified it exponentially.

The controls are a mess and that camera is god awful. 600 employees and this is what they make?

6. Dave Cook

@5 glad someone agrees with me that the controls are terrible. It gets worse as you go.

7. naffgeek

I have complained a lot about this game and the more I think about it the more I believe it’s not so much the direction the series is taking but the execution.

I played the demo and the camera and controls were terrible and that is unforgivable, 600 people working on it and no-one stopped to play the damn thing!!!

I would have totally bought into this if it had been Uncharted in the Resi universe (as that is surely there main touchstone) but obviously the sales are strong enough for them to think it’s ok, hopefully they read the reviews.

8. Deacon

I’m playing 5 atm, and while I remember 4 being pretty fun (not top 10 fun), I’m finding the controls and most of the mechanics pretty infuriating.

Looks like they’ve improved on this a lot in 6, but then I’m not so sure going by some of the comments.

Still, well done Capcom. This further encourages other devs to make unpolished, bombastic movie/games.

9. YoungZer0

Played the demo for the first time yesterday. Stopped midway through Leon’s campaign. Yes. I think i’m done with the series.

Terrible controls, weird pacing, no horror, shitty facial animation, idiot female partner, who’s also a complete crybaby.

What i’m really pissed about is the fact that Leon still acts like an idiot.

“Oh, Zombie infected President, don’t make me do it. I’ve killed a shitload of Zombies before, but somehow i think this might be different. Just listen to me, man with the melted face.”

As i said, i haven’t played all of it, but i remember watching a cutscene where Leon, the Idiot Partner, some dude and some chick are all in an elevator. The chick is clearly infected. Moron Leon, with his 15 years + experience in the killing of Zombies didn’t even think it could be dangerous to take an infected into a small space. Of course she transformed and killed the dude. Yet he still acted surprised.

And this is why it was a mistake to have Leon and Chris’ campaign in the first place. They’ve seen it all, yet they act like it has never happened before.

I watched all the cutscenes of Jakes campaign yesterday on Youtube, because i thought he might be an interesting character, which turned out to be true. It makes you wonder why they didn’t just develop a game around this new character?

Anyway, i couldn’t help but notice that Ms. Birkin, though some kind of super soldier, still acted like a damsel in distress. What the hell Capcom?

And why is Ada Wong still alive? Why did nobody bother to kill her already?

10. xxJPRACERxx

Judging from the demo it’s worse than 5 and 5 was pretty shitty.