Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: PSN release date revealed

Thursday, 4th October 2012 13:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is heading to PSN this month. The game has been priced and dated by Konami. Don’t worry, it’s cheaper than buying a super-rare mint condition copy off eBay, rest assured.

The game will hit PSN on October 10th , priced £9.99. It’s an absolutely brilliant Castlevania title that follows vampire Alucard as he tears around a grim castle full of enemies. It was also the game that birthed the ‘Metroid-Vania’ entries to the series.

Konami issued a statement along with the announcement:

Regarded as one of the classic additions to the long-running Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night was the first to offer an open-world level design and RPG elements. Played within a 2D world, the user controls Alucard as he explores a sprawling castle in search of his vampiric nemesis, Dracula.

Alucard has the ability to switch between three forms – wolf, bat and mist – and can also use whatever weaponry he finds en route against the castle’s many undead and inhuman denizens. Alucard will also learn the ability to use magic and summon familiars as his power grows.

So, how happy are you right now? Tell us below.

1. polygem

one of the best games ever created! a ture classic! a must have game! i love it!

it´s on xbla already, but great news for ps3 owners!
    i never actually bought the xbla version but thx for this news, i really want to replay this again as soon as i find the time. i am replaying the castlevania ds games atm and they are so awesome too.
    that said, i am not the game collector type. i do have a small collection but i rareley keep my games. i mostly trade them in or sell them. sometimes i regret it, mostly i don´t. i only keep the ones that i really plan to keep playing or those that i know i will want to replay some day again. i truly love the idea of buying classic games priced like this one digital. those are timeless classics, games i wanna experience again at some point in life. but i really do not need the case and all those consoles i need to play them lying around in my home. that´s just me though…

2. AHA-Lambda

“So, how happy are you right now? Tell us elow.”

Not very, SCEA and XBLA have had their copies for how many years? Plus the HD remake on XBLA is cheaper!

3. Dave Cook

@2 So what if XBLA has had it for years? :) What if someone really wants to play this and only has a PS3? Good news for them right?

4. kupocake

For clarity, the news here is that Symphony of the Night is coming to the European PSN (or is it just the UK?). It has been available in Japan and the US for over half a decade.

Isn’t this the most expensive PS1 release on PSN ever? Aren’t the FF games “only” £7.99?

5. Dimaco

@4+1
    Yup, have had that for like… I don’t even remember, anymore.

6. locus2k1

Bought on XBLA on day of release way back whenever it was, very tempted to buy again… even if its is £9.99.

Mind you, what was the PSP game that had SoTN as a bonus unlock? wonder if thats on cheap digital download via PSN, could (hopefully) get that on the Vita and have two games instead of the one.

7. polygem

@6: yes on the vita this would be totally awesome.

8. OlderGamer

One of my fav games of all time.

9. lexph3re

I have Symphony of the night on my Vita now. Expands beautifully on it. Haven’t tried to see if dracula x chronicle is playable you can google that anyways to see if the compilation is available on Vita.

Sorry to hear it took so long for Europe to get this though.

10. DrDamn

This was my first Castlevania game and I absolutely loved it. Though have to say I felt balance wise you never felt like you got much use out of the various weapons before moving on to the next shinier one. In that respect the pacing felt a bit off. Lovely game overall though.

/is ashamed how long it took me to recognise the Alucard/Dracula thing :D

11. desadoc

I never played this game before 2009, when I purchased it on XBLA. So, no nostalgia glasses on me. And I liked it so much, that I bought it again later on another account.

12. polygem

@11 if you own a ds or 3ds i highly recommend buying the ds castlevania games if you havent already. imho the first one: dawn of sorrow is the still the best- though the other two, portrait of ruin and order of ecclesia are more polished, dawn of sorrow did the metroidvania thing the best imo. it´s so much fun backtracking the castle, levelling up, listening to the awesome music. gotta love those games. they are all great but i would definiteley recommend dawn of sorrow the most.

@10: “/is ashamed how long it took me to recognise the Alucard/Dracula thing”
    oooops i think i just realized that right now, thx….errr no, ahem probably i just forgot about it…sure, that´s how it is.
    :D

(skipping scribblenauts preorder right now, it´s hopeless)

13. Da Man

Only Castlevania I liked was Simon’s Quest.