Total War: Rome 2 won’t have always-online, but will require Steam

Wednesday, 3rd October 2012 16:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Total War: Rome 2 will require Steam in order to quell piracy issues, but The Creative Assembly is stopping short requiring always-online for the title.

Speaking with Eurogamer, lead designer James Russell said that while always-online isn’t something planned for Rome 2, it may be considered in the future.

“I wouldn’t comment on ever,” said Russell, “but it’s certainly not something we’re planning to do for Rome 2.

“It’s always upsetting to see your game being pirated. Certainly we do suffer from that. We’ve got a lot of players who haven’t necessarily activated. But at the same time it’s arguable how much that harms sales. We don’t like our game being pirated and so we take steps to try and stop that happening.

“We wouldn’t want to take draconian steps to alienate our core player-base that are buying the game.”

Russell also feels PC gaming is undergoing a renaissance, and developers have to keep up with the times when it comes to boxed and digital products. Russell feels Zynga are doing a rather good job of engaging players, and the games created by the firm are like a “gateway drug” to Total War.

“In many ways, PC games are undergoing a renaissance,” he said. “I could talk about games that some people have an attitude to like Zynga games on Facebook: FarmVille, CityVille, that kind of stuff. But the point is that you’ve got 100 million people playing what is essentially a strategy game on PC every day. It’s incredible. It’s arguably the biggest genre out there.

“Times are challenging in many ways for boxed products and the way that people are consuming entertainment software is changing. We see very healthy sales on Steam. There’s always going to be place for that big, lean in, epic experience that we deliver.

“But we want to be more accessible, not just to people seeking a more casual game, but to hardcore gamers who don’t necessarily always want to be sitting down for hours on end. So we want the game to be playable in perhaps shorter sessions.”

Total War: Rome 2 will release next year on PC.

1. Talkar

So it will have always online? Since steam doesn’t support offline mode properly.

2. roadkill

@1 Steam does support offline mode properly. I played Burnout Paradise in offline mode for 6 months!

3. Giskard

@1 I have had no problems whatsoever with Steam Offline Mode.

4. Talkar

It only works for me about half the time.
    For example, a night there were one of the many many unannounced Steam maintenance where the Steam servers went down, i was playing a bit of civ 5 multiplayer. And obviously the game shut down because it uses steamworks to handle the multiplayer. Fair enough i thought, i had to restart my pc anyway so i restarted it, and tried to start steam in Offline mode. It wouldn’t. And yes i have done all of the initial steps required to supposedly make offline mode work. And it does, some times. But that just isn’t good enough.

5. DSB

I’ve had plenty of problems with it.

You pretty much have to run offline mode at least once while you’re still connected to ensure that it’ll work once you’re truly offline.

At least that’s been my experience. It’s an ass backwards system.

I wish Valve would do the right thing and make Steamworks seperate from Steam itself. It may be good for Steam users, but it’s bad for everyone else.

6. Talkar

I have done that DSB, and that doesn’t really help me.
    I don’t know how they have implemented the offline system, but from my experiences it isn’t done very well. And don’t get me started on all the steamworks issues i’ve had xD

7. DSB

Kind of a tragic read.

8. Talkar

Indeed, hopefully they’ll start working on a proper solution,. Like.. Yesterday xD

9. GrimRita

Personally I dont see what all the fuss is about. I would much prefer CA talk about how they are going to actually improve AI once and for all, if the game will be shallow as Shogun 2 or if they are actually going to offer a decent game with a huge map, options etc like Empire had.