iPad mini reveal event invites roll out October 10th – report

Wednesday, 3rd October 2012 10:59 GMT By Dave Cook

iPad mini – yes, it can be considered a gaming console now – is rumoured for a reveal later this month, according to an Apple investor. The source has given the press an October 10th date for the invite mail-out, suggesting the reveal will follow shortly after.

Fortune reports that the source has heard from “multiple sources”, that Apple’s invites will be sent out on October 10th.

The source also stated that the event will revolve around the reveal of iPad mini, a slimmer version of the standard version that packs a rumoured 7.85-inch screen.

If true, the smaller and presumably cheaper iPad mini will allow more people to afford the device, which will mean more game sales on the App Store. It’s a cycle, see?

Thanks CVG.

1. oscar westal

omg kindle fire is off my xmas list

2. Christopher Jack

I’d rather a a Nexus 7.

3. DocCylon

If they decide to charge out the arse for it they can forget it.

4. freedoms_stain

But you can’t have a great tablet experience on anything other than a 10 inch panel.

Oh wait, Apple will say whatever it takes to push their products.

5. roadkill

Wohoo! And another useless product! For which SURPRISE!! some people will actually pay money. LOL!!

6. Dave Cook

@5 why is it useless?

7. Talkar

He is a troll, just look at the latest comments on the site…

8. DrDamn

Apparently people buying things they don’t actually fully need are complete bastards and scum of the earth. Roadkill never ever spends money on stuff he doesn’t need. Definitely not on a games PC, or games to play on it, oh no, because that would make him a hypocrite.

9. roadkill

@7 “He is a troll, just look at the latest comments on the site…” Yes because having a point of view that does not coincide with yours means that I’m trolling. Nice view of things!

@8 “Apparently people buying things they don’t actually fully need are complete bastards and scum of the earth.” Apparently? So people who spend money on things that they don’t need are awesome! Nice! really nice!
    Also “Roadkill never ever spends money on stuff he doesn’t need.” Exactly! because I don’t have too much money to being with so I have to think about these things while you (being s**t rich) don’t have to. Don’t get me wrong I’m not complaining. I’m actually really happy for being in a position of discovering what’s important in life. Which are family, friends and my dog instead of just.. things. But it’s OK, I guess everyone has his priorities and when you don’t know what to do with so much money you just.. throw them at other rich people so they become even richer. I’m sure those money end up being spent on good things.

edit: Oh and I haven’t bought a game in a year so..

10. DrDamn

“Oh and I haven’t bought a game in a year so..”

So you were a complete asshole a year ago but have seen the light?

Is your dog a working dog or a guide dog?

11. Da Man

He’s been pirating them all this year.

I agree, I don’t need Steam and I’m not giving my money to fatty.

12. roadkill

@10 You are comparing a 400 euroes (or w/e it’s price is/will be) gadget with games that cost between 5 and 20 euros (Yes that’s how much I pay for them) therefor you are retarded! Or an idiotic troll. Take your pick.

@11 I’m not pirating anything. I’ve been playing Battlefield 3 all this time.

13. Talkar

That games hasn’t been out for a year. So how do you play a game that you will only buy if it is atleast a year old, and yet hasn’t been released for a year? And you aren’t pirating?

14. roadkill

@13 OK so it’s not 1 year, it’s 11 months! You got me! And no I’m not pirating. What would be the reason to pirate anything. I spend 90% of my gaming time in multi player games. As fas as I know you can’t pirate multi player games. Nor do I want to.

15. CyberMarco

Excuse my ignorance but what’s the real reason to have an overpriced tablet (not only apple’s, in general) except from doing some web surfing, gaming (I don’t want to touch the casual part) and some time-wasting things? I just can’t see why we need tablets, they aren’t cell phones neither laptops, some hybrid stuck in between. The only prominent product I see is the new Surface tablet from Microsoft. That thing could work, because it merges 2 words into one, a laptop in a tablet format, with all the things a PC can do.

16. Christopher Jack

@15, Same question can be applied to video games, video game consoles & non-work computers, but the answer’s mostly the same- entertainment.

17. CyberMarco

@16 Well, I can see a purpose for the existence of consoles, they are easy to use, affordable and a nice way to have some digital entertainment. Tablets in other hand, can provide the same experiences but with less bang for you buck. Speaking out of my personal thought!

18. Ireland Michael

@15 As an iPad owner (I’m typing this up on it, actually) , I’ll answer this question based on my own experiences.

I enjoy the convenience of sitting on the couch over sitting in a computer chair.

I enjoy having the screen in front of instead of half ways across the room. If I really need to, I can hook it up to straight to my TV.

I enjoy being able to carry it around with me, and being able to do the same thing no matter where in the house I am. This is very convenient for myself especially due to problems I have with walking,

I enjoy the huge range of apps for almost every service I can find on the PC. Twitch TV? App. YouTube? App. Email? App. Netflix? App. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn? App. Almost any half decent service on the Internet has an app to go with it at this point. And I don’t need to deal with numerous PC inconveniences like booting it up and waiting for things to load. Stuff just works, and it’s easier and more intuitive than a PC.

It’s lighter and less bulky than a laptop.

Most consumers don’t really care all that much about the “bang for your buck”. They care about ease of use. And this is something Apple knows how to do better than most.

Before you start with the Apple fanboy remarks BTW, I also own an Android phone. I simply believe this is Apple’s biggest strength. Android has its strengths too. As do PCs and laptops. It’s all a matter of preference and what they do for you personally.

19. CyberMarco

@18 Could be, but I can’t justify a so high price tag for a product, when there are so many alternatives solutions.

As it seems we have different points of view, and that’s why the market is so broaden. Me, personally, I try to see things from all the possible perspectives. Not only money wise, but convenience, alternative ways I could fulfill my demands with an already owned gadget, without “wasting” my money every couple of years just to have an up-to-date gadget.

I thinks that’s the problem, not only in gaming, but in consumerism as a whole.

20. Ireland Michael

@19 It’s not really that much more expensive than a new console or laptop. It also doesn’t come with a $50 / $60 dollar pricetag for every new purchase,

I bought mine (an iPad 2) for $400. I don’t intend to replace until one has come along that is genuinely miles ahead of the current one. I don’t see that happening for a good four or five years.

“without “wasting” my money every couple of years just to have an up-to-date gadget.”

Oh, you mean, just like consoles?

21. Christopher Jack

The new iPad was actually the first I considered worthy of its price, mainly because of the resolution- still not a fan of its aspect ratio though, I mean its primary function is for media such as videos but most modern videos are at the standard 16:9 resolution, 16:10 remains acceptable too imo. Movies are of course even wider but I can no longer stand them in that old format after being introduced to widescreen.

22. CyberMarco

@20 I see you are a smart buyer, good for you! ;-)

I just recently got a PS3, owning a NES, PS1, PS2, GBC, GBA you get the idea just because I considered that this is the most suitable time to get a console, now that you can get games starting from 15-20€.

And no, I wasn’t living in a non-gaming cave for this gen, I was using my PSP and recently I built a PC, which I needed for uni stuff too.

23. roadkill

Well of course Michaela loves ipads. Women love shiny and useless objects.

24. Stephany Nunneley

“Women love shiny and useless objects.”

Which is why I only date pretty idiots.

25. Ireland Michael

@24 Hehehehe!

26. bitsnark

Yep, Steph Wins.

/thread.

27. roadkill

Steph most of today’s “men” ARE pretty idiots. Most obvious example is Michaela.