Eurogamer Expo: ‘no booth babes’ policy for 2013 show

Wednesday, 3rd October 2012 15:09 GMT By Dave Cook

Eurogamer Expo has always operated a policy that discourages booth babes, but after two companies bent the rules at this year’s show, Eurogamer is enforcing a tougher policy for 2013.

Over at the Eurogamer forums, managing director Rupert Lohman discussed the decision in a statement, “We’ve always had an informal guideline regarding booth babes: we don’t think they are right for the Expo. When we talk to publishers and exhibitors, we discourage them from bringing booth babes – and encourage them to bring developers.”

“Of course, exhibitors need to bring staff to the show, but they should be interesting, cool and exciting (Master Chief was /amazing/!) and knowledgeable (developers and publisher staff) rather than pretty girls in revealing outfits just for the sake of it. We want the show to be friendly, and all 50,000 attendees to feel comfortable.”

“At this year’s show three companies showed up with booth babes. Two in particular we thought were dressed inappropriately. As a short term measure we told them to move into the 18+ zone, and we asked some of them to put on leggings as well.”

£Although it was only a small number of booth babes, our regret is that we didn’t go further on the first day and just say “this isn’t right” and ask them to change their clothes – or not attend.”

“Instead, with the huge pressures of putting on such a large show and everything that comes with it, we let it go. And that’s what has prompted this debate – and we’re sorry it happened.”

“For future shows we will be issuing formal guidelines: Booth babes are Not OK.”

“Every gaming show has gone through this process – but hopefully we will prove that we are different by following through with this promise and next year the only thing people will be talking about will be the games.”

1. AHA-Lambda

Honestly, seems fair. The Virgin Media and Carmageddon girls at the expo just stood out like a sore thumb.

2. Sylrissa

I’m quite interested to see how this pans out next year, and good on them for putting their foot down on the issue.

3. Marx n Engels

Good old Eurogamer! Right choice entirely.

4. Ali

Best thing they have done….

5. lexph3re

I wouldn’t mind booth babes if they only really knew what they hell they were advertising. I don’t just want Eye candy I want my money to go to the ladies/gents that are actually invested into the same hobbies as I am.

6. roadkill

Good decision! Now if only they will properly enforce it..

7. KrazyKraut

Awesome idea. Would be good for gamescon too.

8. DSB

Yeah, women have no place at these conventions, unless they’re there to demonstrate the girlfriend mode.

Could you ban Jade Raymond while you’re at it?

9. Christopher Jack

Just get pretty woman that actually knows what they’re selling, not just skimpy bimbos.

10. Da Man

Bummer.

Liberal masturbators enraged.

11. Christopher Jack

@10, Well I thank that imaginary god everyday that I live in a place where woman won’t get killed for wearing something revealing. We straight men get a nice view & woman don’t have to wear those ridiculous headwraps.

12. Da Man

Please do tell me more about it.

Same insight on all topics all around I see :/

13. Da Man

Actually, you know what.. don’t.

I really don’t want to hear how if you’re a female anytime you ‘re walking in the street you get some horny folks glaring at you.

I certainly hope it’s not the same other way around :/

14. Christopher Jack

Better than throwing rocks at you if you just so happen to be showing some ankle.

15. Da Man

No, I really don’t think it’s better. Getting horny at people of the opposite sex in public.. thought there was a name for that. Unless you mean the booth babes that is.

Dude, it’s okay. You can masturbate in the bushes all you want and when you finally get to the time when you no longer can do anything, there will be nothing for you. I assure you.

16. Clupula

Always find it sad when people have a problem with scantily clad women. For crissakes, why must people be such Puritans?

17. Christopher Jack

@16, Cuz they’re very sad people & the only way they can find something comparable to enjoyment is to make others just as miserable as them.

@15, I’m assuming that you’re simply A-sexual or living in a backwards world. Most likely that you’re just being a hypocrite in an attempt to harass another online poster. Enjoying the sight of a pretty woman isn’t the same as jacking it to a dirty old playboy.

18. DSB

Insecure nerds are insecure.

I get the whole “It has nothing to do with gaming” argument, but a convention is also a show, and scantily clad women just make for a good show.

Famous people also have nothing to do with gaming, but they’re there to serve the exact same purpose at those conventions. Should we ban them too?

I think it’s the sort of attitude that just makes gamers look like anal retentive shut-ins.

“OMG Booobs! Runaway!”

19. Eregol

Scantily clad is one thing, putting QR codes on their arses is something else altogether.

20. Da Man

Cristopher, you need to correct your second name, there’s a typo.

Taking offense to my joke, bringing up religious topics, escalating the whole thing to some pseudo intelligent, ignorant, high school interpretations and attempts at a social commentary..

Please do tell me more about hypocrisy.

I’m inclined to think that likely you’re just an idiot tbh.

21. Christopher Jack

My only religious statement was thanking an imaginary god, the rest is cultural criticism. Also, if you’re going to claim that my middle name has a typo as a rude insult, you should be able to spell my first name correctly to make it work.

22. DSB

@19 It’s tasteless, but isn’t gaming just tasteless sometimes?

Like I said, I get the fact that it detracts from #gaming as the subject at hand, but then you’re also kinda assuming that gaming is this super important, ultra serious academic discipline, as opposed to just being a broad form of entertainment.

I think gaming has a problem in that the people who shape the whole scene are so willing to be “against” pretty much anything.

We don’t want violence. We don’t want pretty girls. We don’t want african zombies. We don’t want rape. We don’t want booth babes. Wah, wah, wah.

It’s a lot harder to find people who are willing to stand up and defend gamings right to be whatever it wants to be, just like any other medium.

If literary publishers, music publishers, movie publishers, car companies or fashion companies make use of beautiful women to sell their products, no one bats an eyelash. When games do it, it condemns all of society to hell.

I think that’s a pretty unique form of self-hatred, and I think it’s surprising that gamers are so willing to embrace those double standards without a word of protest.

23. Da Man

#21 – Yeah, so err.. Perhaps you should refrain from taking offense to jokes about masturbation?

What’s the problem. I told you, when time will come and even the booth babes won’t be able to raise you from the ground there isn’t going to be anything waiting for you.. Cristopher.

Why exactly do you think that just because you took offense I should be enlightened with your high school definitions?

24. Christopher Jack

@23, Please explain how I ‘took offence’. I thought it was pathetic but wasn’t offended by something so trivial. You seriously got to stop generalising dude, having a little perv every now & then is not even close to the same as public masturbation- you’d be lying to me if you’ve never had perv yourself at whatever gender/animal/object that attracts you.

25. xino

rightfully agree!
    they should ban booth babes…it is just ridiculous that I am going to a GAMING convention and to see women dressed in skanks to assist and liven the show:/

if you want women dressed like that, go to an Adult Video convention show, such women belong there.

it is like me going to Adult Video convention to see a woman dressed in Samus Aran suit, very silly man!

the Company of Heroes girls who dressed as Russians were nice, but seriously man:/
    i dislike seeing the Virgin girls, they just looked like skanks and hoes man.

just annoying to see people who go to a gaming convention to play games and you start seeing them wanting to take pictures with women.

26. Da Man

#24 – I can’t think of any other reason as to why you brought up unrelated topics and your mundane definitions.

Why would anyone think it’s pathetic unless it was offending anyway.

Why did you even comment on it, and still debating it? Obviously not having fun, are you.

Yes I was, I also cried at Optimus Prime death at one point in time. Not that any of that has anything to do with the topic.

27. Lounds

What a Nannie state we live in “omg you’ve offended me” fuck off!

28. Clupula

I love that someone would call certain women “skanks” in the same breath that he’s saying that this has no place in gaming.