Oddworld creator ‘didn’t expect’ his series to be around today

Tuesday, 2nd October 2012 12:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee creator Lorne Lanning has revealed to VG247 that he didn’t expect his PSone classic to have the kind of impact it had. It just turned 15 last week.

Speaking with VG247, Lanning revealed that he had doubts about Oddworld’s far-reaching success, “Due to the amount of money we had to borrow to make Abe, he had to succeed. He had to sell millions of units, he just had to man. I had to convince people that it would before I could get the money.”

“Then I actually had to deliver, and that being said, what I never expected – but that I hoped for and designed for, but I didn’t actually expect it – was that 15 years later it would still have this passion around it.”

“That we would are still receiving emails about it – I mean – we always designed Abe for the down-trodden, because that’s who I feel most of us are. But now, it’s so much more clear now.”

“We still get emails from people who tells us that it really just…changed their lives at really critical times, like they decided not to jump off that cliff. That impact was a little more than I kind of hoped for, the longevity of it, and that players have Oddworld tattoos, is pretty phenomenal.”

Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee game recently turned 15 and the developer is now working with Just Add Water on a remake called Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee New N’ Tasty. The game is slated for release on PSN, XBLA and Steam in 2013.

You can check out our massive Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee 15th anniversary interview with Lorne Lanning later today. If you’re a fan you absolutely won’t want to miss it.

1. jedieagle

How about just posting the interview, instead of publishing parts of it :D It’s annoying to read things twice :P

2. Dave Cook

@1 because it’s not written yet, and because this is what every site in the world ever has done :)

Sorry.

3. YoungZer0

We need Oddworld games more than anything now. Even most indie games look completely uninspired compared to the series. The art-direction of the games is simply unique.

4. TheWulf

Eh. I can’t agree. To cite just one example of innovative loveliness of late – Vessel. Vessel is every bit as unique and odd.

I agree that we need more like this, wholeheartedly. Don’t get me wrong there, I’ve long been a proponent of pretty much every Oddworld game. Big fan, even of the later games like Munch and Stranger. I just don’t think that trashing actually independent games actually helps this.

5. jedieagle

@2 i know …. A guy can dream though :D

6. YoungZer0

@5: Helps what exactly? Trashing actually independent games was my goal. They start to look the same. Super Meat Boy is the only indie game i’d call unique/odd.

I haven’t played Vessel, but from what i’ve seen, it’s a confused color palette with a boring-looking main character in a steam punk environment. Nothing unique about that.