Sony: ‘consumers have decided 3D isn’t hugely important right now’

Monday, 1st October 2012 15:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Sony UK boss Feral Gara has explained that consumers drive the company’s approach to PS3′s growth, and that gamers have dictated that 3D isn’t particularly relevant at the moment.

Speaking with Eurogamer – by way of MCV – Gara said of 3D, “Consumers decide how relevant it is. It’s fair to say consumers have decided it’s not hugely important at this time.”

“It’s a capability we’ve got,” Gara continued, “It may have a bigger life a little further down the line. It’s great we can do it. It doesn’t seem to be the most powerful USP at the moment, so you’ve seen us shift our effort onto fresh new exciting IP.”

“I’m certainly really pleased to see the strength of that as we look into next year. We’ve seen a resurgence really with the strength of the output from the studio network,” he concluded.

What’s your view on 3D? Do you still use it, or is it just a fad? Let us know below.

1. ManuOtaku

Get rid of the glasses and we can talk IMHO, i like it on the 3DS for the same reason, that or go for real 3D, i mean holographics, i dont mind which one will come first with this, i mean Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft, just let it happen guys.

2. Malmer

I love 3D! Playing 3D-games it on my Optoma HD33 is nothing but amazing. Wish all games implemented it, atleast via TriOviz reprojection 3D (which is basically free from a rendering time perspective).

3. viralshag

I try to avoid 3D at the cinema whenever I can and the same applies to gaming too.

It’s a fad, I don’t understand why they tried to bring it back.

4. OrbitMonkey

Lol, consumers decided that it wasn’t relevant back with Jaws 3D!

5. Gadzooks!

“We tried to force this crazy 3D shit on you all but you got wise. Fuck you all, especially the early adopters, you’ll get no damn support from us, Mugs.” A Sony rep was heard saying today.

Next up: How PS3 + Vita is the future and not a horrible embarrasing mistake like Move, OtherOS, PSP Go and 3D.

6. El_MUERkO

Connect a PC up to a good 3D TV and pump out 1080p 3D games at a good framerate and it looks amazing.

Two things need to happen to make 3D mainstream:

1) The majority of TV’s need to have ‘good’ 3D implementation (because there is a lot of poor 3D tech out there)

2) Consoles need to become powerful enough to run 3D with no noticeable performance hit to the gamer

7. DrDamn

It is currently limited a bit by hardware this generation, but it’s still interesting tech. More important is that it’s tech which is becoming more mainstream as people replace their TV’s. Check shops, 50% of big TVs being sold have 3D tech built in. People are getting 3D TVs whether they planned on it or not. So the potential market is growing and PS4/NextBox will have the power to better support it.

8. NocturnalB

@5 Now everybody needs to wise up to the Cloud. As in nipping it in the bud.

9. Gadzooks!

#8

Continuing the plant metaphor, I’d say the slugs have been at ‘the cloud’ and it’s on track to die off on its own soon.

Sony have taken a cutting and are trying to grow it indoors, but they dont seem to have green fingers anymore and will end up killing it off like all their other recent failed attempts. They use too much fertiliser, IMO.

10. ps3fanboy

don’t argue with @9, he is a troll and will only drag you down to his low level of discussions.

11. freedoms_stain

I haven’t seen a film in 3D since Alice In Wonderland. I don’t really want to pay extra to get a shittier picture and have the discomfort of a 2nd pair of glasses on my face.

12. monkeygourmet

How is he trolling?

Sony use their game consoles to shift their other products… Bluray, 3D etc…

3D is shit on the PS3, the console can barely cope with it.

I have a 46″ 1080p 3D Samsung TV, the best gaming 3D i’ve seen has been on the 360, and that was pretty awful too…

The fact is the consoles can’t support it properly at the moment.

Playing Uncharted 3 in 3D at half resolution looks awful on a big TV.

Muddy, low res textures destroy the experience.

It still didn’t stop Sony trying to pimp out the features because, guess what… They have a vested interest in selling you a big 3D TV to go with your PS3…

It’s a load of shit. So many people blindly defend Sony when all they try and do is rip you off.

13. OlderGamer

Tbh, I don’t care about 3D either. It is neat from time to time, like when I play 3DS, but mostly I turn it off and just play the game. I wouldn’t invest extra to be able to do it on a TV/Console.

I enjoy 3D in the theater from time to time too, watched Avengers in 3D. But again not spending extra to be able to do it at home. I will be more interested in it when every TV has glasses free 3D. The problem is when new things get made, someone wants to make money off of them. Understandable. But to me, and prolly to most folks, 3D isn’t worth the asking price. Not in order to get at it at home. And glasses? Who wants those?

Just not a big deal when you facter in the cost and hassle.