Faliszek, ’60% of Kickstarter games will launch’

Sunday, 30th September 2012 10:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve’s Chet Faliszek has predicted to VG247 that only 60% of successfully funded Kickstarter projects will see the light of day. Although the developer has personally funded a lot of Kickstarter projects himself, he has warned of the potential dangers of the crowd-sourcing method.

“I’ve funded a lot of things on Kickstarter,” Faliszek told us in our interview, “I figure 60% of these projects will actually create something by the end, and I’m fine with that. It’s going to be interesting for projects that take a long time, for teams that aren’t as experienced, seeing what people think, and to see what’s going to happen two or three years from now.”

“Are they actually going to deliver and come through with it?” Faliszek mused, “So yeah, that will be interesting to see. But I do hope that it maintains being a viable way, because I love being able to see people saying, ‘yeah, I’m just going to do this project.’”

Faliszek has recently hosted a number of lectures that discuss ways in which aspiring game developers can break into the games industry, and he firmly believes that you don’t have to make a full game to be successful.

“You can make things in Steam Workshop,” he continued, “People laugh when I say that, but it’s like, people have earned six-figure incomes by doing that. We’ve given millions of dollars to people, so that’s a viable way to go about getting into the games industry.”

“Then of course the indie scene – what’s happening there right now is powerful, because it’s giving so many people opportunities, and fuelling more people to do that,” he added.

Valve has also recently launched Steam Greenlight, a platform for developers to submit their titles for community approval on the store. Faliszek urges anyone who thinks they have made a solid indie game to come forward and make themselves known.

“That just came out of a necessity as we were getting very backlogged with requests,” Faliszek said of Greenlight, “It’s hard because we never know if we’re making a bad choice or not in accepting games on to Steam.”

“If someone wants to be on Steam they can say, ‘hey guys check this game out, it really should be on Steam, it’s awesome.’ We’re always going to be missing things when people aren’t submitting their games but should be, so Greenlight just makes it a very open choice as it’s the community that decides.”

Do you agree with Faliszek’s comments? Let us know below.

1. Sini

Shaefer is running to mexico with my fucking $25?!

2. Night Hunter

@1: You, sir, have won the internets!

3. DSB

That’s bordering on sensationalism. He’s not warning anyone, he just has tempered expectations, which I hope goes for most people who use Kickstarter.

When you buy something sight unseen, failure is always an option.

I’m buying into the hope of a game, not the actual end product.

4. jonahfalcon

Say what? You can’t think for yourselves? You’re just going to let gamers decide what to put on Steam?

So far, 50% of those games involve zombies. (face palm)

Guess Valve doesn’t want to put the time into, you know, evaluating games for themselves.

Newell attacks Windows 8 because it’s competition for Steam, now Faliszek attacks Kickstarter. I’m beginning to see a pattern here.

Yeah, Valve is your cat. The one who tears up the furniture with its claws.

Hey Chet, what are the odds Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will ever see light of day?

5. deathgaze

I think it’s also worth pointing out that most games that are funded via Kickstarter are not star-studded efforts like Obsidian’s Project Eternity or Double Fine’s Adventure. Most of them are by smaller studios (if you could call them that) with much less experienced developers. There’s bound to be bumps in the road. It’s also worth pointing out that these types of projects typically ask for a lot less funding.

What would be really sensational is if, say, Project Eternity fell through.

6. DSB

@4 Do you need help reading what he’s actually saying, or are you fine with just making it up as you go along?

7. TMRNetShark

I think Markus Persson ran off with my money. I haven’t heard of any new news from Planetary Annihilation. :/

8. jacobvandy

Of course it’s sensationalism, it’s VG247… Turning a level-headed observation by one guy (who just told you he participates and is fine with it) into an entire company coming out and deliberately “attacking” another one is like standard operating procedure. Pretty sad to see some people fall for it, hook, line, and sinker.

@7 Lolwut?

9. Dave Cook

@8 I’m sorry what? He has a very good point and when I interviewed him for this he was absolutely, sincerely saying that he’s not sure if all Kickstarter projects will actually happen. Not to be horrible, but because it’s a new and untested platform that is yet to produce a single playable product.

I don’t appreciate you accusing me of sensationalising this when you weren’t even there to hear how he said it.

But whatever makes you feel big and clever.

10. absolutezero

No offense intended here Dave but read that headline. Just read it over.

The entire thing seems to suggest that Chet is speaking on behalf of all of Valve instead of just himself. That suddenly changes it from a comment he made during an interview with a certain level of sincerity behind it to one company attacking the work of another.

11. Dave Cook

@10 you know what – and I’m glad someone was able to vocalise this to me calmly and politely – on second reading you’re right, but it certainly wasn’t intentional as @8 suggested

Thanks Absolute, I’ll change it now.

12. DSB

@9 FTL hit the Steam top 10 within 24 hours of launching, and was met with pretty much universal praise. Right now it’s outselling Dark Souls and Hitman Absolution.

I don’t think Valve has an opinion on Kickstarter. And he never said the word “only”, or anything like it. “I figure..” should serve to qualify it as both an estimate and an opinion, and he even adds that he’s content with that, in the very next sentence.

The headline could make it look like a definitive statement, and a negative opinion.

13. Phoenixblight

“FTL hit the Steam top 10 within 24 hours of launching, and was met with pretty much universal praise. Right now it’s outselling Dark Souls and Hitman Absolution.”

Well one Dark Souls on the PC is a very horrible and broken port and doesn’t exactly have a huge fan base and two hitman: Absolution isn’t out. Bad comparison is bad.

14. TMRNetShark

They said they’ll have the website up this week… so we will see. It’s been 2 weeks though… why not website/forums?

15. DSB

@13 If you completely miss the point, sure.

Both are AAA titles, FTL was made by two guys. And Square Enix have been doing massive PR for Hitman since March. Which is insane, but never the less true.

It also outsold XCOM, and it’s pretty much toe to toe with Dishonored. Take your pick.

Also, FTL had an easy time outselling both Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 on the day of release.

16. Phoenixblight

You are comparing a 10$ game compared to 40-60$ game. Its like saying Top Ramen is better than a T bone. Its not, it just cheaper and accessible. Bad comparison is bad.

Not to mention the game was going for a fiver the first few days.

17. DSB

@16 No, you’re comparing the two.

I’m just presenting a measure of succes.

If we say that Valves games are disqualified from being indie for being by a major corporation, then FTL is both the best selling and most played indie game on Steam, bar none.

Are you suggesting that if you did a Kickstarter, and made a game with one other guy, and you ended up with the best selling and most played indie title on Steam, you wouldn’t consider that an outstanding achievement?

Personally I’d consider that a humongous succes, and leagues from the standard of “yet to produce a single playable product” that Dave suggested.

18. Phoenixblight

You are the comparing it to other triple A games when there are far more variables that make a game to where it is.

Its a cheap game that you can get for 10$ that makes it quite accessible for anyone and everyone. It quite easy to get to top 10 selling games with the price they set for the game.

WHere are you getting it outsold Xcom or other games?

19. jacobvandy

@18 Valve’s Steam sales list is ranked by total revenue, not units sold. Or at least this feed is, as it plainly says so: http://store.steampowered.com/feeds/weeklytopsellers.xml

On the week it came out, FTL was #5, next week it was #4, today it’s #9. I think the ‘Top Sellers’ thing on the Steam home page is more dynamic.

@Dave: Yes, when you’re paraphrasing and putting key words in the headline like ‘Valve:’ to imply it’s a company statement and ‘only’ to imply it’s derogatory, sorry but you ARE sensationalizing.

20. DSB

@18 Rerun time I guess. You’re the one comparing it to triple A games.

I’m just using the example of triple A games, to establish it as a runaway succes.

Not really interested in splitting hairs, or doubling down on strawmen, or any other kind of silliness.

It. Was. A. Runaway. Succes. By. Every. Concievable. Measure.

The End.

21. Phoenixblight

I personally found it a 10$ proof of concept. I would hardly call it a game that was worth the 10$. World of Goo was done by 2 guys and that game is far more entertaining than FTL is.

22. absolutezero

What does that have to do with anything?

23. DSB

Great.

In that case, be sure to support Little Inferno, which may or may not be due out in October.

24. Jerykk

The headline is pretty misleading. For one, it conveys Chet’s opinion as if it represents all of Valve. Secondly, the paraphrasing makes his opinion sound much more assertive and negative than it actually is.

25. Dave Cook

@19 no, I wasn’t. At least not intentionally. I put Valve in because how many people know what Valve is compared to Chet Faliszek? I’m amending it when I yet my shift today because you’re right, in hindsight it is a little off. It was written while running around like mad at Eurogamer Expo, loaded with coffee and with about four hours sleep. But yes, I will change it shortly.

26. Telepathic.Geometry