DayZ creator on arrested ArmA devs: ‘I just want to see them home’

Thursday, 27th September 2012 17:24 GMT By Dave Cook

DayZ creator Dean ‘Rocket’ Hall has shared his own thoughts on the arrest of two ArmA 3 developers arrested on the Greek island of Lemnos on suspicion of espionage. The developer – whose game is a mod of ArmA 2 – just wants to see the developers returned home safely.

Speaking at Eurogamer Expo Hall was quizzed on the arrests but stated that while ArmA developer Bohemia Interactive has issued a statement, anything he said was purely from him and didn’t reflect the opinion of the studio.

Hall said, “I just want to see them home. Anything I can do to see them back is important. We don’t want to get angry with anyone, we just want to see them home. They’ve worked with me on the Chernarus Plus map and they need as much support as they can get.”

The jailed developers could face 20 years imprisonment if found guilty. You can read Bohemia Interactive’s full statement on the matter here.

1. Giskard

I don’t see how his opinion is any different from anyone else’s, or more important. I doubt anyone wants them to rot in jail for just taking pictures for a video game?

2. DSB

24 hour news. Gotta get content where you can find it. And people like it when other people state the obvious.

Wouldn’t it have been great if he said “Yeah, I never liked those guys, I hope they go all Midnight Express on their asses down there”.

I think it was worth asking that question, just for the astronomically remote possibility that he’d give that answer.

3. Giskard

@2 I’d give a kidney for someone to catch that on tape. Watching the outrage after that would be like cramming all 3 LOTR movies into a needle and injecting it straight into the heart. Pure drama gold.

4. TheWulf

I always wonder about schadenfreude. I don’t have a great life myself due to some seriously debilitating disabilities, some of which hamper my day to day life in ways that you guys would be driven insane by. And even still, I just don’t get schadenfreude. I can’t get into that concept.

Making my life feel better by laughing at the misfortunes of others? Doesn’t that make you unethical at best, being generous, but more likely just a nasty, misanthropic slimeball? To me, schadenfreude says more about why I shouldn’t like a person than anything else. It’s the absence and void of any sense of sympathy and empathy, and that pretty much sums up schadenfreude. It means that you’re unable to consider the feelings of any other person than yourself, or you’re an unfeeling beast.

Thiiis is also why I’m not a fan of drama. When drama happens, people are actually getting hurt, but you also have the misanthropy vultures swooping around above, ready to pick the bones at any point. And… this is the best people can be? Welp. Pathetic, if you ask me.

Even with all that’s wrong in my life due to my disabilities, it’s not that bad that I feel the need for schadenfreude, or that I can’t understand that misfortune doesn’t exist solely for my enjoyment.

Kind of depressed, now.