Nintendo announce full list of Wii U launch titles

Wednesday, 26th September 2012 13:18 GMT By Nick Akerman

The Wii U’s launch line-up has been the subject of much speculation across the past few weeks. As we get closer to the North American release of November 18, Nintendo has finally outlined which games will be available.

23 games will be available to buy across the launch window that spans from November 18 to March 31. Plenty of support has been given from the likes of Activision, EA and THQ.

Here’s the list:

Frozenbyte

Trine 2: Director’s Cut – November

Gaijin Games

Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien – January

WayForward

Mighty Switch Force HD – November

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.

TEKKEN TAG TOURNAMENT 2 Wii U Edition – Nov. 18

Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth – Launch Window
Rayman Legends – Launch Window

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

Scribblenauts Unlimited – Nov. 18
Game Party Champions – Nov. 18
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition – Nov. 18

European and Australian residents will have to wait until the Wii U releases on November 30 before picking any of these up.

1. Dragon246

23 games at launch is a good start. Hope they can continue the momentum after the launch window.
    Must say, wipeout 3 confused the hell out of me until I found out its based on the reality show :)

2. OlderGamer

Really healthy looking line up. Even if we just look at the games hitting in Nov. Because in my mind something coming out in March isn’t exactly a launch game(window or not). To me launch window is about 4 weeks.

But regaurdless, it looks well suported. I hope that the system continues to see some JPN games over the long haul. That would be a big plus.

3. DrDamn

Same here RE: Wipeout 3 :)

Have they confirmed what will be available on the online store digital release wise day 1? Would like to get Mario that way.

4. OlderGamer

That is a good idea, to have a list of what games will be for digital download. Would be great not to have to hunt around town to pick up a game after launch day.

5. DrDamn

Though my experience of download speeds on Nintendo machines is worse than PSN – which is going some (see other thread) ;). Not sure I want to rely on that as a way to get the game day 1.

6. OlderGamer

haha, good point! But just like the PS3, the slow downloads won’t kill me. I can wait. I am just hoping that the online gameplay is smooth. If so, then I am happy.

7. Deacon

The Vita had a great launch line-up too, according to some.

Continued releases through 2013 is gonna be key here (stating the obvious I know).

IMO there’s not much substance here at all. And half a dozen of those already exist and are on sale for other platforms. Disappointing.

[nearly 20 minutes and no-one has ripped me to shreds for this?! - geez it's quiet here today]

8. OlderGamer

Well Deacon, I think it is important to look at why people will be buying a WiiU to begin with. Most of the time hardware sells on the bases of the software it runs. And while WiiU has some games that are on other platforms I don’t think those games will drive sales.

And lets be fair, Darksiders2,AssCred3, Aliens, CoD BLOPs2, Madden/FIFA 13, etc aren’t old games. They aren’t games that are priced at 20usd on other systems. They are this years new games. Plus factor in Bayenota 2. I think having those games is important, but I don’t think those games are going to sell system. Not having them might hold sales back tho. If that makes any sense?

The system sellers here are the Nintendo games. Plan as. If I can get all of the Nintendo games, and most of the big thrid party games, I might feel that my gaming wants/needs are covered on just one system. That is really cool. I mean, I wouldn’t feel that way, I have owned everything scince Pong pretty much. And will continue to buy all of the systems if I can afford them. Hard to imagine not owning them.

But for families, having those extra games is a big deal. Dad can play BLOP2 and Madden, while the kids can enjoy Skylanders and Marvel Avengers, while Mom can enjoy Your Shape: Fitness and Rabids. And at the sametime they all can sit down together and enjoy Nintendo Land and NSMBWiiU. Of course I am steriotyping, and don’t mean to do that. Just pointing out that a line up like they have will offer a lot of options for everyone in the house.

I doubt the 3rd party games are there to drive sales. They are just there to be inclusive. For me personaly having EA Sports is a big deal, for example. But without Madden, I still buy the system for the Nintendo games.

Sometimes people think about it the wrong way I think. Nintendo isn’t trying to steal you away from PS3 or XB360 by putting CoD on their system. They are just trying to have CoD and other 3rd parties on their system to flesh out the game libary for their customers. Does that make sense?

Look if your a big OMPFPS player, your going to already own a xb360. That is where your going to spend most of your time. Playing everything from Gears, Halo, BF, to CoD. And if those games are super important to you, your prolly not going to be open to playing Nintendo 1st party games anyways.

9. DrDamn

20 minutes was needed for the length of the reply from OG ;)

10. Deacon

@OG – Yes mate, I agree with that for the most part.

If I lived with fellow gamers then I would be a lot more interested in the WiiU. As it stands though, I rarely get a chance to do any couch-based MP.

With that said I still don’t see enough stuff there to warrant a day 1 purchase.
    Nintendo’s first party titles are regularly amazing, so it’s a shame that they haven’t got anything really stellar to offer day 1, imo.

Let’s be honest though, how many of those launch titles are going to successfully use the WiiU touchpad USP in a unique & meaningful way?! (by this I mean stuff that simply couldn’t be done with a standard controller)

RE: Vita, ‘some’ people DO want a miniature PS3 in their pocket. Absolutely NOT the millions that Sony seem to think though. They’ll never bloody learn…

@9 – the wait is often worth it when it comes to the old boy! ;)

11. OlderGamer

One of these days Deacon I will learn that not buying day one and waiting for price drops and a larger line up of games is the way to go…maybe, lol. Kind of doubt it tho. I go out of my mind waiting for games I want to play.

I will never learn. Lost cause.

lol@ Doc.

12. DrDamn

@OG
    “As far as Vita goes, it’s libary wasn’t very good at launch. The system suffered two major drawbacks, still does. It was too expensive and featured too many console style experiences. Sony wanted to sell you a handheld PS3. In the face of 3DS, and now 3DSxl, Vita is going to have a hella hard time moving. Sony aimed for a market that wasn’t wide enough to suport their new handheld. Like the PSPgo, and the PSphone they tried selling. I think Sony is out of touch with the market.”

Remember that rubbish marketing Sony are so bad at? That’s why you think Vita features too many console style experiences :). There is lots of stuff available, including very cheap/free stuff too, which shows someone at Sony knows what they are doing. They need to get knowledge of it out there though. From the DNA of the OS to how games were redesigned around bite sized and asynchronous gaming, Sony have done a lot more than you are aware of.

The much bigger issue is one of price.

13. OlderGamer

You might be right Doc.

I am only going to buy one handheld. Prolly going to be a 3DSxl. Tho I am a PSN+ member and Vita will have PSO2(PSO is my fav all time franchise). But for me it isn’t just price, I will spend close to the same amount of money either system I go with. It is just the games line up.

I can get PSO2 on my PC, that will be the better version for me.

But when I look at the rest of the line up, I see very little that catches my eyes. Rag Ody looks decent, but the 3DS has Heros of Ruin. Factor in the Nintendo games and it is compeling, embarassed to admit it, but I am even looking at getting a Poke’mon game lol. I was watching someone play the other day, looks fun. Like a fleshed out 8bit dragon quest sytle rpg.

But you are very possibly correct. If there are great and compeling reasons to own a Vita over a 3DSxl, I am not aware of them. All I see when looking at the two systems are the game line ups. I see Nintendos growing and see the same old titles everytime I go to the store for Vita. My local GS manager tells me they don’t sell vita much at all. So I worry about return on investment, how many and what kinds of games will I be able to buy for Vita/3DSxl in two years or three years time.

Tough not to go with Nintendo, esp when I know I enjoy so many of there games in the first place.

14. DrDamn

Sure, I think you’ll likely get more out of a 3DS too, but that’s a lot to do with personal preferences. A lot of the interesting and innovative stuff on Vita is just though the store. They’re doing a lot more with AR/location based stuff than Nintendo as an example. I really liked the AR stuff which came with the 3DS (though it didn’t work well with the 3D part) – they didn’t seem to take it anywhere though. Sony have done loads with it. Lots of cheap/free little titles which use the features in new and interesting ways.

15. OlderGamer

Agreed Doc.

Can you give me an example of the AR/Location stuff your talking about? I am imagining your game being effected by your geographic location? or am I going in the wrong direction, pun intended!?

16. DrDamn

T@G is a good one … http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/13/frobisher-says-and-tg-the-first-of-vitas-discovery-apps/ … watch the vid.

Ecolibrium is another. When I played it mentioned a creature nearby which you could capture. There was a message saying make sure you are safe to go looking – and I assumed this was a reference to the game carrying on without you there or something. Anyway a scanner pops up with a green dot marked and no further instructions. I try a few presses on the screen, rear pad, buttons etc. Then notice it’s altering as I move the machine. So I thought ah, move about a bit to find it. So I stood up and got the dot in front of me then started moving forward. It was at this point I realised that it was 114m away … literally! I.e. off down the road and in someone’s house or garden!

Some nice little AR table top games too like Table Football, Hockey is this week, a Tank game. All < £2. T@g and Ecolibrium are free. (Ecolibrium is a freemium/ftp model though very generous with the initial stuff they give you).

17. YoungZer0

Not what i’d call a good line up. Most of them already exist on other consoles or will exist on other consoles.

18. OlderGamer

Very neat, thnx for the info. And your right, I didn’t know about that stuff. I don’t think it would be a game changer for me personialy. But it is something very cool.

19. Cangriman

The biggest problem for the Vita is its price. Way too much I will said, with that kind of money one can buy a PS3 or for a little more a WiiU. The second for me, its the game library. Nothing really brings my attention to spend that kind of money, and it also needs more system seller games. Nintendo have more experience in the handheld department, so I will said they know what they need to keep selling, and with games like Monster Hunter 4, and Shin Megami Tensei 4, there is more Nintendo for everyone.