PSN Day 1 Digital announced by Sony, offers digital versions of games at launch

Tuesday, 25th September 2012 17:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA has announced a new digital content program called “PSN Day 1 Digital,” offering PSN users the ability to download upcoming titles through the service on the same day they become available at retail.

Beginning October 2, PS3 users will have access to brand new titles in the PSN Day 1 Digital category in the PlayStation Store, and beginning today, PS3 owners can pre-order select titles ahead of their release date.

Additionally, select titles will be offered at a 10% discount to Plus members.

PSN Day 1 Digital will offer day and date release with retail availability for the following PS3 titles:

• Resident Evil 6 (Available for download on October 2 – $59.99)
  • NBA 2K13 (Available for download on October 2 – $59.99/$53.99 for Plusmembers, with pre-order) (available for pre-order)
  • Dishonored (Available for download on October 9 – $59.99/$53.99 for Plus members, with pre-order) (available for pre-order)
  • DOOM 3: BFG Edition (Available for download on October 16 – $39.99/$35.99 for Plus members, with pre-order) (available for pre-order)
  • 007: Legends (Available for download on October 16 – $59.99) (-10% off for Plus members)
  • Medal Of Honor: Warfighter (Available for download on October 23 – $59.99)
  • Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Available for download on October 30 – $59.99/$53.99 for Plus members, with pre-order) (available for pre-order)
  • Assassin’s Creed III (Available for download on October 30 – $59.99) (available for pre-order)

More titles are to be announced in the near future, and at present, the offer has only been announced for North America.

1. OrbitMonkey

How do those prices compare to other retailers in America? Competitive?

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Not really. Most stores sell new games for $59.99.

3. mreko3230

I look at this as being for people with money to burn and high bandwidths. I’m not paying $60 for a game that I cant trade, share, give away or sell. And I’m really not wanting to wait for the game to download on my shitty U.S. internet service. Not to mention constantly trying to make room on the hard drive for the games. I know this is the way it will eventually go, its just not for me.

4. ps3fanboy

these games being 20gb+ and with the download speed on psn… GOOD LUCK!

5. ManuOtaku

#4 i think that is the reason why Steph used that picture, it will resemble a lot the look of that experience ;)

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 :D

7. Timurse

Just wanted to add that Dust 514 was downloading for about 4 hours, downloading 2Gb update for 7 hours (from the 5th try) and installing them for 30 minutes. On 20Mbit internet (average speed for everything 1,9-2,5 Mbyte/sec).
    Xbox Live Games on Demand are always being downloaded for about 1-2,5 hour for a game (5-7Gb) and installed instantly as soon as the download meter hits 100%.
    Whoever talks about the PSN superiority has clearly never used Xbox Live.

PS. For the time of downloading a game on PSN I can go to the opposite part of Moscow (city I live in) for like 25 km, buy a game, drink a coffee in Starbucks, get back, install it and start playing. For the lower price (including transport costs).

8. SlayerGT

@7 I’d say you got what you paid for…

9. DrDamn

Would like to see UK pricing. In the US retail is close to RRP. In the UK online and supermarket prices are up to 30% off that. If they introduce this in the UK then it needs competitive pricing.

Also most games are 10Gb or less generally. Particularly cross platform releases.

Game downloads haven’t been too bad for me recently on PSN. Patch downloads have been atrocious though.

10. lexph3re

interesting downloading 14 gbs takes me 4hours tops. I guess If that’s the case that means my bandwidth is probably double of your bandwidth if it takes equivalent time for half the files? Also, you guys show how you know absolutely nothing about the internet and how devices respond to the required bandwidth. That falls on the ISP provider not the network provider Ex. PSN, Steam,U torrent, XBLA.

If your speeds are inconsistently low? What you should be doing is contacting your ISP provider asking them to either A. Reset your connection to them. B. Buy a better Router C. Look into if your ISP has better modems. Because the hardware all officially run at the currenct OSI and TCP standards

11. Christopher Jack

This should have been happening from the very start of this gen, poor showing from everyone. Wouldn’t mind being able to buy a retail game & being able to lock it to my account so I can install/download it & never have to worry about the disk again. I think the disk should remain usable on other consoles but to install it would require another code- i think that sounds fair. Just no mandatory installs, always been a pet peeve about the PS3, consoles are about simplifying things & ditching installs was a valid reason to grab one over a PC. Optical Disc read speeds is definitely something that needs improvement next gen. Faster HDD would be great too, maybe a small 60-120GB SSD with room for an additional HDD.

12. Deacon

@9 – you just know the UK prices are going to be between £49.99 – £59.99

13. stretch215

@10 he was comparing an Xbox in the same house to his ps3. They are both connected to the same modem/router (obviously) and the Xbox downloads faster. I’ve noticed the same here in the U.S. Maybe you should read the post before getting all defensive over your precious Sony.

14. OlderGamer

@Lex, I am sure it prolly seems like more Sony bashing, but I have the same experience in my house that stretch and others have. I can download(just download not even factoring in install times) much faster on my PC and xb360 then I can on my PS3.

I have a orig 60GB Fatty, I don’t know if that matters, but it downloads slow. I know the comparisons I have done were fair. I downloaded demos of Kingdom of Amular on all three systems. Because I wanted the game, but wasn’t sure of what system to buy it from. The Steam and Live Downlaods where fast. The PSN download took forever. I corded the system and it was still slow.

The download took longer, and then I had to install it.

The PS3 is just slower.

I ended up buying the PS3(check my profile if ya wanna confirm that) version btw, had better then the Xb360 colors. They poped more. But the as to the download times, always slower.

15. lexph3re

It has nothing about being defensive over a console but networking and hardware protocols. And he did not reveal HOW his stuff is connected or the average speeds of his connectivity. If his Ps3 is connected through Wi-Fi which the average 360 and ps3 owner does do. Then it would be no wonder why his downloads aren’t as fast as his 360 if it’s directly connected to through wired.

And, being that I am in the US as well as have a direct connection(which is honestly the suggested for best preformance across the board) to my Ps3 I average about 16-20mbps and 14 gb downloads take the same amount as his 7 gb download. Which on an Educated guess leads to the analysis that he is more then likely using wired or averages about 4-8 mbps leaving he has a standard cable connection from his ISP.

This is common in IT that these problems occur with people who use different methods of data distribution and try to give equivalent comparisons. One of those things IT professionals have to deal with and Diagnose all the DAMN TIME.

16. lexph3re

If you are running 3 different downloads at the same time then it’s no wonder that the download was slow. The data was split 3 ways. However, another factor to take in is KoA on PSN is 2.5GB and on XBL it’s 1.9Gb That’s a no duh on why a bigger file took longer. Besides the factor that XBL requires a lot of their Demos and games to be below the 2GB threshold that doesn’t make PS3 slower it makes the files more compressed on XBL

17. OlderGamer

Let me clearify, i wasn’t doing them at the same time. And I know that there are several factors, what time of the day I am trying to download for example. Just pointing to the fairest comparison I could.

18. lexph3re

Only thing is the moment you compared to different sized files and said one was slower for being bigger. It was no longer a fair comparison, I am not trying to sound like an ass or anything. I’m just pointing out a lot of the factor that people fault devices for typically have nothing to do with their rant.

I am 2 quarters away from graduating with my degree in Computer Networking and after I learned half the things I did from my first. A lot of the things people spew are just misplaced frustration and fairy tales made up to coup with their frustration.

Hearing people say things like ones faster for having compressed file distribution over another isn’t true. It feels faster but in all actuality they are both downloading at normal speeds for their times. Now when it comes to installing to the HDD that does typically take a little longer but that is something entirely different then downloading a file from PSN.

19. DrDamn

I compare downloads between PSN and Live on a like for like basis. Similar file sizes, similar times of day. Live consistently out performs PSN. As I mentioned above PSN has improved, I get upto 20Mb/s on a good day. In comparison I get 30-40Mb/s on Live. Live is also very consistent within a download. PSN can vary quite a lot, slowing down, speeding back up.

Both machines are connected by wire directly to the router my cable internet comes in on.

PSN can also vary quite a lot depending on what you are downloading. Patches can be very variable in download speed and a lot lower than the speed I get for stuff through the PSN Store.

20. OlderGamer

Lex, my wife has a duel degree from RIT, and 25+ years field exp. She got started in the USAF at a helpdesk. She is an IT Engineer/Biz major. She currently works at a fortune 500 corp as a project manager/lead in disaster recovery. Not boasting or putting you down. Just saying she knows her stuff too.

We have a nice in home network, even have wifi boosters at the ends of the house. She calls the Playstation 3, the Slowstations 3.

It may well be that files are compressed differently or it may not be. I don’t how Sony or MS do things. And my point would be; no one cares. Even someone like my wife doesn’t care. The results are all that matters to most folks. How long does it take to go from 1% downloaded to playing. It always takes a long time on PS3.

If someone else is getting better results on their platform, then they have a better method. I think Live is so good because of MSs focus and experience being a software company. All of the details and inner workings just aren’t the important part, it is the results that count.

21. lexph3re

Not to put your wife down but she should have noticed the difference in file systems and also know that Wi-fi boosters still don’t top wired connections. That’s basic in IT that is taught on entry from people with 20-30 years IT experience. I’m not going to overlook the real world application of a personal home system and a Business network diagram that is COMPLETELY different in structure.

And , you said it’s about results right? Well you also went about the factor that due to the compression method on Xbox live that you went with Ps3 version of KoA. That’s because there we’re more assets of data on the ps3 version opposed to the 360 version.

Sure you want to say which ever is faster. But it still stands that a larger file PS3 version at 2.5gbs compared to a smaller file 1.9GB XBL is again not the fair comparison to acknowledge. If you were to queue the RE6 demos on PS3 and 360 at the same time which both weigh 849mb and the 360′s was faster under the same conditions then I would believe you. However seeing as whichever one you queue up first is going to take priority in traffic and start before the other slowing the second one down then yeah you still wouldn’t have a fair comparison.

22. ManuOtaku

OG Not only your wife beat my scores on pinball fx2, but she is also an smarty one, man you did a pretty good catch man if you ask me, congrats :)
    p.s well maybe she caught you in the end, thats the way it works most of the time ;)

23. OlderGamer

lol @ Manu ;)

I am a lucky guy, no doubt. But I will have you know the new high scores we sent you…those were mine. I mean not the 199Million of Plants VS Zombie table lol that was her. First time sitting down with the table she killed it. Said she would have done better if she had her morning coffe, I shudder at the thought.

24. ManuOtaku

OG dont let her touch that table again, you hear me, i want to try to come close, if she ups the score i will never ever touch that table again :)

25. OlderGamer

And yeah Lex, wired beat wireless. that is why I stoped the PS3 demo download and pluged in the cord and switched it over. Still took forever. It is what it is man. I bought the game at the store after playing the demo. I buy a few games PS3 over xb360, like Trine2, the xb360 version pales and looks dull compared to the PS3 one.

But fast? The PS3 isn’t fast at anything. Downloads, installs, updates, load times. Exlcusives aside there isn’t much to like about the system. But exclusives are a big part of why we buy systems. From BluRays to easy charge controlers to said exclsuives. There are good solid reasons to own the system.

But when you line it up feature per feature and compare it side by side, if you had to give out a best hardware award this gen, I’d give it to xb360. Handsdown. And for the record RRoD = PSN gate = washout in my book. I even like xb360 hardware better then Wii(that is a joke btw, noone in their right mind would even compare the two, apples and oranges and all of that).

As far as wireless speeds go, I notice very little drop off in performance with my XB360 when I am wireless vs wired. I don’t even use wired anymore. Have wireless PC too of course.

I understand what your saying about the files being larger of KoA on one system vs another. And yeah that is going to effect time to download. But Lex, most people that own multi systems will tell you the samething. The PS3 is slower. They aren’t ALL bashing Sony or over exhagerating. I am sure some would. Fanboyism is a terrible infection, lol. But as honest as I can be, the system is slower.

And the difference between quality of games is very often favored toward xb360. Once in a while PS3 has the better copy. But most of the time the differences aren’t noticable, esp is they aren’t side by side. Where as my PS3 copy looked sharper then the xb360, the xb360 one loaded faster and ran smoother.

In the end it is what it is. But if you have 100 people and 80 of them are all telling you the samething, there might just be something to it.

26. OlderGamer

haha you will make her day Manu. I tell you she is a beast at that game. We just bought the newer marvel tables as they were on sale for 400pnts. But so far those top scores are mine. She does love that PvZ table tho. Me too, it is a really well done table, lots of fun.

27. lexph3re

well I don’t have 80 people telling me this. That’s never been the case, in fact this had nothing to do with who likes what system at all. But, addressing the factor that they all run at the same protocols and ISP is a bigger factor then your router.

You keep saying something that is smaller then something bigger is faster. I’m telling you it’s not because it isn’t. They are both downloading at equal speeds and one is not out preforming the other. Using that logic is severely flawed. Something bigger by default would take longer then something smaller. THAT DOES NOT mean it is faster.

Besides when I stated I hear the same thing from people I asked their set up and they all say the same thing. “I use wired on my 360 over Wifi on my PS3 and it’s so much slower.” UH DURRR! That is the scenario That I have encountered NUMEROUS amounts of times. Doesn’t give credence to the latter being faster.

I have run side by side comparisons of both ps3 and 360 and outside of OS performance(this is based on hardware) There is 0 difference between the 2. When it comes to software the variables are again to wild to conclude of one being superior to another. Because the fact that the software engines are optimized differently. That is why usually exclusives speak larger volumes then multi-platformers.

Since I’m taking about the internet aspect of the hardware. The 2 have nothing different in it’s NICs(except Xbox 360s having 802.11n functionality.)

28. OlderGamer

“They are both downloading at equal speeds and one is not out preforming the other. Using that logic is severely flawed. Something bigger by default would take longer then something smaller. THAT DOES NOT mean it is faster.”

Ok Lex, fair enough. Unfortuantly for Sony, people aren’t going to care about the why of something. All they are going to latch onto is that they can get the thing downloaded and installed faster and that means they are enjoying it faster.

I mean if there was a PS360 to Wii gap in graphics between the PS3 and Xb360, people would prolly notice. But there isn’t. So most folks are going to see it as the same game taking longer on one system then it does on the other.

29. DrDamn

“You keep saying something that is smaller then something bigger is faster.”

I’m not. I’m telling you the actual speeds in Mb/s are slower on PSN than Live in my experience. Both connected the same way. Nothing to do with PS3 versions of stuff being bigger. Pure speed, i.e. how long does 100MB take to download. It’s slower on PSN.

30. lexph3re

That’s the overall point though isn’t it? People don’t care for the actual models and protocols that are in place across the spectrum. They just want what “looks” faster. I don’t argue that at all, I just call things as they actually are. And that is the apparent difference in file sizes granting the illusions of faster speeds.

I don’t care to go into the graphics comparison of 360/ps3. That would take far to long a discussion and even though we are both long winded I doubt we would care to stroll down that lane.lol

31. Gadzooks!

All those files come from a server. Its the servers that are slower, not the console itself.

Demos took at least twice as long to download the same amount of data when I had a PS3 (both wired, same router, same file size). It then took as long, or longer, to install.

Disappointment at lack of parity with the 360 version of demos took considerably less time. Switching it off and booting the 360 – virtually no time at all.

32. OlderGamer

Lex, plus all of the tl;dr goons would roll their eyes lol.

Someday we have got to teach them guys how to read.

33. lexph3re

Only if you hold my hand when we go :-) I’m really big on hand holding…..

34. ManuOtaku

#34 that will be a sight to behold a SDF with a NDF holding hands, that will imply an implosion of the console world as we know it :)
    p.s make it happen and share the pictures ;)

35. OlderGamer

lol too funny :)

36. lexph3re

I am not on any SDF.

37. OlderGamer

Lex, your like the unofficial spokesperson.

38. ManuOtaku

#37 come on man i was making a joke, for some you might be seem as a sony defense force dude, but that doesnt mean that you are, just that fits the punch line of my joke, i didnt want to call you anything in particular, i dont like labels, for me or for others, really sorry dude, that wanst the intention, just the joke because it fitted.

39. lexph3re

Pfft…nu uh… I just always get caught up in the tailwinds of discussions and i looks like I’m on one side. I’m actually pretty neutral

40. lexph3re

Sorry I ruined the mood of your joke. Now I feel like an arse :’(

41. Gadzooks!

*cough* HORSESHIT *cough*

42. lexph3re

*hands Gadzooks some cough syrup* Gotta watch your health buddy

43. ManuOtaku

#41 dont worry man, at least it made laugh OG.
    p.s yes is true, apparencies can be deceiving, man i always wanted to use that line with the same style Hugo say it on the matrix, i finally did it :)

44. Gadzooks!

#43

Thanks man!

*Whips out poison testing kit*

45. lexph3re

Oh come on I wouldn’t poison you. Do you own a piss test kit by chance?

46. ManuOtaku

#46 do you know some people drink their piss as a natural way of treatment to be healthy?, for them it wouldnt be an insult at all ;)

47. lexph3re

-_-…… not cool man…. not cool…… (Even though it’s just plain cough syrup)

48. Da Man

Gz the only sensible post amidst the sea of madness :(

So anyway, Posn is really shit, isn’t it? Turns out it’s inferior at downloading as well. Thanks for the info, guys.

49. ManuOtaku

#49 Da Man that reminded me the Iron Maiden song, i will hear it right now.
    p.s by the way that is one of my favorite iron maiden records, i mean somewhere in time, very different style and with futuristic tones.
    oh i forgot… UP THE IRONS…

50. Christopher Jack

& I still bet that a majority of ps3 users dont realize that they have to manually set up ethernet if they’ve previously used wifi.

51. Da Man

I’m sorry, ManuO I hate heavy metal.

I like abominations like Rappin 4 Tay and the such.

52. Miss_420

I also got sick of the slow DWNLD time on PSN so I thought outside of the box and made myself smarter than the playstation, after all it is just a computer. So here’s some food for thought set up a proxy server through your computer, you start the download on PSN stop it then run the proxy on your PC. Downloads super fast then you go back to the PSN restart the download and it downloads from the PC in seconds… I use this all the time for game updates, demos, and games. I will never download straight from the PSN again