iPhone 5: over 5 million sold and counting

Tuesday, 25th September 2012 10:06 GMT By Dave Cook

iPhone 5 has sold over 5 million units since it launched on the 21st of September. That’s a lot of money for Apple and a lot of new handheld gaming devices on the streets.

An official Apple statement on the explosion of sales also added that over 100 million iPhone users have upgraded to iOS 6 since it launched.

Apple CEO Tim Cook responded to the whopping figures, ““Demand for iPhone 5 has been incredible and we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible.”

“While we have sold out of our initial supply,” he added, “stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date. We appreciate everyone’s patience and are working hard to build enough iPhone 5s for everyone.”

The impressive sales states underline just how viable the iPhone and App Store is as a widespread gaming platform catering to a broad spectrum of players. it’s certainly not a small platform, even if it doesn’t fall in line with the image of ‘hardcore’ gamers.

Did you pick up the iPhone 5? What did you make of it? Let us know below.

Thanks Pocketgamer.

1. Maximum Payne

Its a sad day…

2. viralshag

From people I know that got the 5, they say it’s good but probably not worth the upgrade from the 4S.

I wasn’t blown away when it was revealed, it didn’t seem like anything inspiring or ground breaking. If I’m honest, it was straight up dull. Maybe I just expect too much.

3. abnormal alan

I upgraded from the 4 and I’ve found the speed a HUGE improvement but yeah I have to agree I don’t think I would bother upgrading if I had the 4s already.

So far the battery has seemed shocking though it seems to drain so quickly but maybe that’s just because everyone in my office keeps pissing around with it

4. JRNO

@3 I’m thinking of upgrading from an iPhone 4 as well, but I’m still bit on the fence. I’m thinking of just waiting another year for the inevitable ’5S’ but that might just as well be another minor upgrade and I might end up waiting forever.
    If I manage to get a decent trade value for it, I might get one. But I don’t know.

5. roadkill

It’s incredible and very sad how so many people are so rich and spend so much money on such worthless things while others don’t eat for days, and die because of it. I’m sure all those rich people care so much about the others. I’m sure they know exactly how it feels to be hungry.

6. CyberMarco

Brains!

7. DrDamn

Worthless things like consoles?

8. earlyrock

@5 Hate the game, not the player, dude. Its not usually the people who buy what they like who screw the poor over, its the ones you/they/we pay our taxes to!

On topic though, I upgraded from the 4 and its a massive difference speed wise and very light to carry. I always skip the one in between anyway.

9. GwynbleiddiuM

In your head, in your head,
    Zombie, zombie, zombie,
    Hey, hey, hey. What’s in your head,
    In your head,
    Zombie, zombie, zombie?
    Seriously! cause I know it’s not le brains…

10. Dragon246

A apple a day keeps the doctor away :)

11. abnormal alan

@4 the thing is you could always hang on ‘just one more year’ for the next big thing if you’re due an upgrade I say go for it. It’s a huge improvement for the 4 users

@5 what relevance does that have to anything on this thread? You could say that about any large cost items expensive cars etc. It is sad that people anywhere in the world cant eat and are dying of course it is! but maybe you should spend more time doing something to help and less time bitching on a games website?

12. Da Man

Unpronunceable, you make an excellent example of that. Just look at those Diablo 3 sales numbers.. you’re one of them :(

Still using a Symbian one :( ?

13. roadkill

@11 First of all I am doing something. Actually I used to. When I had a job. I used to send a bit of my income to the Red Cross. Even though I only made ~300 euros per month. And second, I am not bitching about it. I’m not the one who’s dying of hunger. Worst case scenario I skip a meal every day. Anyway, I was just stating the facts.

@8 “Hate the game, not the player, dude.” Yes, because it’s not your fault that you decide to pay hundreds of euros on a device that you don’t really need, to a company that overprices all of their products. Even though some are decent. It’s not your fault though, it’s Apple’s! I’m sure you really need a smart phone, I’m sure it HAS TO BE an iPhone because it’s so cheap and I’m sure you HAD TO upgrade. From iPhone 4. God! It had to be horrible to keep using JUST an iPhone 4. F**king rich douchebag! If you don’t have anything decent to say then stfu!

14. DrDamn

I’m sure you really need a console, I’m sure it HAS TO BE an 360/PS3/Wii because it’s so cheap and I’m sure you HAD TO upgrade. From XBox/PS2/GC. God! It had to be horrible to keep using JUST an XBox/PS2/GC. F**king rich douchebag!

15. NocturnalB

Apple products are for hipsters that are too dumb to know better or care.

The limitations of an iPhone compared to any top selling Android phone are too many to count, and Apple the monopoly chaser knows that. Which is why they are on a suing spree. They have run out of antiquated stolen ideas.

16. Da Man

Rather Android being a half arsed iOS clone, is for socially deprived virgins who are too mental to know better or care.

17. OrbitMonkey

A guy I know who loved iPhones, decided to jump ship to the Galaxy S3 rather than the iPhone 5.

5 days later he knocked his (uninsured) S3 off a table & smash! Curse of Apple!

18. ManuOtaku

Apple knows how to sell their products, i think Microsoft,Sony and Nintendo should be really concern if they decide to enter the home console market, they will have quite a following, and more dedicated that each one of the existing console makers, woow it will be like a PC i mean a console with a constant upgrading, 600$+ every year with each new console, they will be even richier.

19. viralshag

@Orbit, I’m sure I’m probably not the same person you are talking about but I recently did the same thing, sort of.

I left the iPhone and got a HTC which was great but I just got the S3 and it’s amazing.

20. DarkElfa

People who buy Apple products are either those who like Apple’s products every now and then or complete and utter sheep that will buy whatever is newest and most popular to own for Apple sheep.

I’ll make no judgement about the people here since I don’t know which category they fit in.

I myself have an original iPad. It was my first ever Apple product and will be my last. I While the IOS was very smooth and the hardware top notch, the ecosystem was just too much crap for me to want to deal with.

21. NocturnalB

Lol that’s rich “Da Man”, keep trying you can do better.

22. Da Man

Not as good, as you..

lolomgwtf

23. NocturnalB

You got me good, don’t know how i can ever beat that.

24. Da Man

You can just keep using your superior intelligence to tinker with the hardcore Android. Not that you have anything better to tinker with.

25. NocturnalB

That all? lol

26. roadkill

@14 What are you talking about? I’m using PCs.

edit: Oh and, 15 is right.

27. DrDamn

You are lambasting people for buying frivolous products they don’t really need and you are on a gaming website. Do you really need this spelling out any more?

28. ManuOtaku

Thanks Doc, for the word lambasting, thats a new one to me, please keep using those flamboyant words, it does help me a lot ;)

29. Da Man

#28 – this is endgame alt account. Do I need to say more?

Of course he’s wrong, and so is #15.

30. roadkill

@28 So I play games. So.. Nope, I still don’t see your point.

And yes this is my alt and the only account that I use. I stopped using the other one because I had some login issues with it. I decided to make a new one and I stuck with it. Is there a problem with that too?

31. Da Man

There’s a problem with hypocritical, psychotic PC fanboys who post depressed rants on the internet due to them not being able to afford any toys other than a PC.

Too bad. Run along and ease the pain with Rapidshare now.

32. Christopher Jack

Everyone in the modern world buys frivolous things, so what? I’ve never, ever met someone who lives only on the essentials if they can afford more. It’s not our fault that there’s people starving to death in Africa & Asia, that’s their own corrupt government’s faults. If you really want to complain about greed, don’t blame the middle class for wanting snazzy new phones, blame the super rich who are busy debating the colour of their 18th Ferrari & the premium destination of their 11th mansion.

33. roadkill

@32 I’m sorry for you. It must really hurt.

@33 Wow! Just.. Wow!!

34. Ireland Michael

Recession my ass.

35. SON of SUN

Good For Them, but I prefer GALAXY S III

36. Da Man

You tell me it must hurt?

You sad person in massive denial.