Wii U region locked, Nintendo confirms restrictions

Monday, 24th September 2012 10:26 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U will be region locked, Nintendo has confirmed to Famitsu, which is bad news for import fans. Prepared to get miffed and then read on.

IGN reports that a NeoGAF member has gone through this week’s edition of Famitsu and has translated the following quote from the mag.

“What can be played on the Wii U is restricted by a region-lock feature; software not sold in the same region cannot be played.”

Nintendo has been forceful in its region-locking action, with Wii, 3DS and DS following the same rule, among others. As the company is sure to have a widely diverse release slate between here and Japan, import enthusiasts will be left wanting.

What do you make of this move? Is it a bad decision, or are you not interested?

1. Dragon246

And some NDF people were saying ninty consoles are not the “closest”.
    Utter BS. Ninty could have solved their localisation problems a bit with this.

2. KrazyKraut

Fuck, fuck and and again: fuck.

This is soo 1998. Even MS eased the region-lock. I want to play some Jap-Exclusive Games or get Rare CEs and play the games. But okay, no Day 1 anymore. Better would be (but not the best option) when Nintendo would let the Pubs decide if they want to region lock their games or not. So we could play jap-only Shoot’em Ups or other games without problems.

3. DrDamn

Hardly unexpected – their home consoles always are. 3DS was. I didn’t think regular DS was though?

Edit – DS was region free, DSi was region locked for DSi specific games

4. Dragon246

Forgot to add one more thing, wiiu sucks for japanese game enthusiasts and even us titles that dont get launched in eu and vice-versa(I fall in both categories)
    Expect operation rainfall all over again.
    This just shows utter backwardness.

5. absolutezero

No Ninty handheld was fully Region Locked before the 3DS. Which is a crying shame because NoE are useless.

I am still holding out an ever so slight amount of hope that its going to get broken into as fast as possible. When shit like this happens I don’t give a shit about installing homebrew just so I can import games. That and in the case of the Wii I can play games in a better fashion than the Wii by itself can.

6. Fin

This is bollocks really.

The world is flat, region locks shouldn’t exist.

7. NeoSquall

Where are the Nintendrones now?

8. Erthazus

Region locked for a console is like living in North Korea… Really.

It should be open for everyone who purchased this device.

9. ManuOtaku

This is some of the things Nintedo is really Stubborn, not that i mind this, because i get all my games from USA, but i understand the problems this cause, and how some gamers will perceive the console for, i really understand the leash they want to establish on Miiverse, because people dont behave online, and because of this i see some points and advantages and i understand that decision, even if some gamers dont like it, i do really see the point, with this not so much, really.

10. xino

and we’re paying £300 for this :/

11. Deacon

you might be!

12. Dragon246

NDF is underground now it seems. Rabidly acting as spokespersons for the company and yet offering a “no response” for these important issues.
    And they say ninty gets all the hate for no reason…..

13. ManuOtaku

#12 I did some comment you know

14. Gadzooks!

15. OrbitMonkey

So Ninty, you make a game I was never going to buy an exclusive and now your outdated (well outdated when the new console release whenever) is region locked!!

How will I play those games I’ve never heard off!!

16. ManuOtaku

#15 joining operation rainfall, dough ;)

17. Dragon246

@16,
    I miss the other “esteemed” members of your club :)

“It’s a complete non-issue for the vast majority of gamers”
    True
    “won’t affect sales one bit.”
    False. Import business is worth millions. Play Asia and other sites exist almost exclusively for this purpose.
    “People who were never going to buy it anyway will be up in arms though.”
    Yup, exactly so if ninty keeps giving reasons not to buy wiiu.

18. OlderGamer

“It’s a complete non-issue for the vast majority of gamers, and won’t affect sales one bit.

People who were never going to buy it anyway will be up in arms though. Which is quite funny.”

Plus One.

Whats the big deal? I own a JPN Dreamcast, JPN PS2, and have several systems moded to play diferent regions. If it is really that big of a deal, do that. To tell the truth most of what is in JPN aren’t games I would want to play anymore. I used to import when I couldn’t get 2D shooters/fighters over here. Now I can, and in spades. I don’t import anymore.