Blizzard has ‘no particular fear’ over Windows 8

Monday, 24th September 2012 17:19 GMT By Dave Cook

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria developer Blizzard has revealed that is pro-Windows 8, and has stated that it will expand to the Microsoft OS once it launches.

Speaking with CVG, senior software engineer, Darren Williams confirmed the studio’s acceptance of Windows 8, “We put our games on platforms our players are already on, so yeah, it will be available on Windows 8. I think that we’ll go with the platforms that the most people are on. There’s no particular fear we have of Windows 8.”

Williams’ statement comes after Valve head Gabe Newell warned that Windows 8 is a ‘catastrophe for everyone in the PC space.’

What’s your take on Windows 8? Is everyone getting upset over nothing, or is there really cause for concern?

1. DSB

Rob Pardo actually said the exact opposite. I reckon that’s worthy of a quote here.

2. deadstoned

The Metro UI is just frustrating as a desktop user. They admit openly the UI was designed for touch yet tell us its brilliant for mouse and keyboard. UI’s play to the strengths of the input and when touch/M+K are so different it feels pointless to upgrade. There are other improvements to the OS, but none of them look outstanding enough to convince me to upgrade from 7. I’ll stick to Windows 7 and wait for service pack 2 :P .

3. Maximum Payne

I just installed start8 from Stardock and then you don’t have to use Metro ever,you have start button just like in 7 All problem solved !
    But yea still stupid from Microsoft side.
    On good side, Win 8 its little bit faster in desktop and booting ,there is lot of sync option,task manager show’s lot of activity like your cpu,hard drive,internet…
    But very small improvements.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Some people make such a fuss over a start menu…

5. TheWulf

I… don’t understand? The task manager in Windows 7 has a resource monitor utility which already tells you all these things (with granular detail). What’s the difference?

I don’t have much to say about Windows 8 in general, aside from a small fear that Microsoft will pull a ‘walled garden’ initiative. That’s why I’m holding off and sticking with Windows 7 for now. No tinfoil hats, but I’m wary about certain things (healthily, intelligently, knowledgeably wary), so that means I’m not going to be an early adopter and leap on the bandwagon (whereas I started with Windows 7 from its beta).

If, a year down the road after 8′s release, it’s still as open as ever, I’m most likely going to switch to it. But for now, I’m biding my time with 7 to see what happens.

It’s not exactly a huge secret that currently MS is run by a bit of an idiot.

6. NocturnalB

I’ll stick to Win 7 and wait for 9.