Wii U pre-orders sold out at GameStop, waiting list started

Saturday, 22nd September 2012 16:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Wii U pre-orders have been sold out at GameStop, according to the retailer due to “off the charts” demand.

GameStop has started a waiting list, and you can put your name on it if you are a PowerUp Rewards member, according to Shack.

“Demand for Wii U has been off the charts,” said GameStop president Tony Bartel said in a press release. “[PowerUp] customers will be notified when a Wii U is available for purchase and will have 48 hours to respond. There is no deposit required to join the wait list and enrolling does not guarantee a Wii U on or by a specified date or at a specific price.”

GameStop said last week it had reached its nationwide allotment for Wii U Deluxe pre-orders, and a week later, standard Wii U pre-order allotments are gone.

Looks like folks in the US will have to purchase one launch day in November from a different retailer.

1. OlderGamer

I knew I should have ordered an extra for ebay!

2. DSB

When has this ever not happened? I mean seriously.

3. DeVitowned

I was beating myself up over waiting too long and missing out on preordering from Gamestop, until I realized I could still get the deluxe if I made a bundle on walmart.com. Can’t wait to finally play Xenoblade Chronicles, Last Story and Mario Galaxies I couldn’t play because I wasn’t too interested in a Wii.

4. OrbitMonkey

@2, Don’t think it happened for the PS3… Or the Vita…

Or are you asking about the Ninty consoles?

;-)

5. Dragon246

Conveniently forgot months for waiting for ps2 eh?
    Didn’t happen for 3ds in that case too.
    On the topic, good thing, although numbers would be interesting.

6. OrbitMonkey

@5, Can you blame me? It was soooo long ago!! :-P

Anyway isn’t it Ninty practice to ensure theirs never enough to go around, thus generating false demand?

7. DarkPyroZXA

are people really that dumb to spend $300-$350 for a console that is slightly better than the 360? i’m waiting til a price drop to $200-$250, but by then the next Xbox will be out, or even the PS4, so i probably wont even be getting the Wii U by then.

8. OrbitMonkey

@7, iPhones, GAP jeans, Skull Candy headsets… Why spend money on any of this stuff?

Because its better than Communism hippy!

9. DarkPyroZXA

@8 iPhone’s are overrated, especially the iPhone 5; who in the right mind spends $50 for a pair of jeans, that is just retarded; Skull Candy headsets aren’t a necessity, just for show; I would buy a Wii U, but the price of it is just not my thing, when I know that I can buy an Xbox that’s a tad less better than the Wii U for $100-$150 cheaper, but why would I do that when I could just save the $250 for the PS4 when it comes out, it’s all about knowing what to buy, and when to buy it, and right now the Wii U isn’t something I’d waste $300-$350 on

10. DrDamn

And apparently not everyone is like you. Consumer economics. It’s priced at what Nintendo think is a price to sell and allow them to make a profit too – craziness isn’t it? Put it this way. If they priced it $100 cheaper and sold exactly the same number – I.e. Their initial run then wouldn’t that make them stupid? People spending more on something than you would is down to them valuing the product more than you do. They feel they will get more out of it. That doesn’t make them stupid, your viewpoint though …