PlayStation brand enjoying ‘huge interest’ from Xbox 360 players, claims Sony exec

Friday, 21st September 2012 13:50 GMT By Dave Cook

PS3 and PS Vita are receiving an influx of interest from Xbox 360 gamers who are looking to buy a second console, according to Sony’s John Koller.

CVG reports – by way of Gamespot – that SCEA marketing exec John Koller stated, “We have seen a very high interest rate from Xbox 360 consumers wanting to purchase a second console.”

Koller calls this particular brand of gamer a ‘lapsed console owner’, and that’s fine except it’s not clear where the exec is pulling this data from, or to what extent this shift in focus is happening.

“We saw the same kind of thing happen in reverse during the PS2 years,” Koller added, “when a lot of PS2 consumers said they wanted to get an Xbox because of Halo and some other games. So we think the strategy works and it’s a good one.”

Is this a strategy at all, or is it just a fact of console cycles overlapping? Let us know below.

1. inside-360.de

I know many “Multikonsoleros”, they have a Xbox 360 and PS3 console at home. First there is the typical console-war and the people try to hype their console. Then it goes over to an friendly “side by side” living and at least, many people have two or three consoles at home… Gen by Gen it is the same thing…

2. woe

Let the numbers do the talking not some mouthy PR.

3. Hellhound30x

I don’t know what he’s talking about, but I do know this… I’ve owned all this gens current consoles since they launched… oh, and I’ll be buying me one of those ultra nice ps3 slims….

4. OrbitMonkey

Lol, we’ll the choice is pretty limited for a 360 owner wanting wanting another console Knoller…

Oh & bragging the PS3 is a certain demographics sloppy seconds? Not so swish.

5. joshua nash

i’m 360 owner and I bought a PS3 about a month ago just cause i finally convinced my self to get a blu-ray player but also cause the PS3 has some games that i’ve wanted to play for a long time so its a “kill two birds with one stone” situation, and i am quite happy with it

6. Froseidon

And they know they have Xbox’s how?

7. Clupula

I actually know quite a number of 360 owners who are waiting for the price to drop on the PS3 to around $199…which is why I will reiterate that Sony dropped the ball on the price of the super slim.

8. Clupula

@6 – never heard of market research?

9. ManuOtaku

They did discover the avid gamer at last, well is an step in the right direction i guess.

10. OrbitMonkey

Everytime a 360 owner expresses interest in a PS3, a Dragumfly loses its wings.

True story.

11. OlderGamer

I like my PS3. And my xb360. Never understood how enjoying one system should mean you can’t also enjoy another system.

12. woe

@Froseidon: The guy is talking out of his ass.

13. MadFlavour

As someone who owns an xbox and has owned a wii but not a PS3, I have to admit, I’m currently experiencing interest in the PS3.

And once the super slims have a price that isn’t laughable I will invest in one. The 12GB should be about £115 and the 500GB should be about £150. Until then, I’m not gonna be interested enough to take the plunge.