Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen announced

Friday, 21st September 2012 08:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen has just been announced by Capcom at TGS. It’s a major expansion to the original that will allow players to transfer their old game save across.

IGN reports that it’s a full game, and is heading to PS3 and Xbox 360. It will allow players of the original Dragon’s Dogma to transfer their saves across, and although the game has only been announced for a Japanese release, we’ll keep our eyes open for information regarding a Western edition.

UPDATE: We’ve since learned via Eurogamer that Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen is not a sequel, it is a major expansion for the original game.

Eurogamer also reports that the original Dragon’s Dogma is to get free DLC in the near future that add both a speed run mode and a harder difficulty setting into the mix. As if it wasn’t hard enough.

1. CyberMarco

Why no PC? =(

2. Hcw87

Got bored towards the end of the game, way too much walking from A to B with no option to quick travel easily. I don’t understand the logic behind walking to point A for 20 minutes, spend 5 minutes on the objective, then spend another 20 mins to get back to the questgiver (unless you have an expensive Ferrystone). I hope this is fixed in the sequel.

I know there are portal stones to be used, but they are very scarce on the first playthrough.

3. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, I quite enjoyed what I played of it, but ONLY because of all the walking I’ve left this game on standby while I get through the glut of other games I have on my table.

The thing is, I quite like the walking the first time, the thrill of wondering whether you’ll survive, when it hits night-time and you know you’re close to your destination but you’re all banged up…

…but then when for some reason I decide I want to pop back to my first town and do something relatively unimportant, the game forgets that it’s a game, and makes you hoof it back there.

I like the concept, that it’s a real scary world and getting from A to B is not for the faint-hearted, but if that’s the design decision, they really should have kept all the quests very close to the quest-giver I think…

It’s a damned shame, because apart from that, I was really lovin’ this game.

4. viralshag

The walking is a pain but overall it’s a great game. I would get the sequel in a heartbeat.

5. monkeygourmet

Yep, loved it!

I even enjoyed the walking parts, amazing sunsets! :)

I hope for co-op this time with a pawn for each player!

6. Deacon

We should abolish fast-travel in games altogether! We rush around enough in our real lives, why rush a beautifully crafted, escapist videogame?

7. viralshag

@5, If they made the sequel with a top notch drop-in drop-out MP mode, it would be amazing.

@6, I do somewhat agree and I didn’t mind it in DD to a point but sometimes backtracking over and over does become a pain. If not fast travel, give me some wild animals I can punch in the face, mount and then ride to my destination.

8. Deacon

@7 Wild animals, sky beasts, robotic giraffes. ANY of those is better than a ‘press button to magically warp’, imo.

9. viralshag

@8, I would be happy with any of those. Especially the idea of robotic giraffes.

10. Atmey

NG+ is absolute joke, the harder difficulty might make it better.