Borderlands 2 – more character DLC planned if Mechromancer is a hit with fans

Friday, 21st September 2012 16:23 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Borderlands 2 DLC is on the way next month with the release of the Mechromancer character, and Gearbox president Randy Pitchford has said more characters are planned providing the Mechromancer is a hit with fans.

Speaking in a lengthy community Q&A on Kotaku, Pitchford said he expects Gearbox will “handily exceed” the amount of DLC released for Borderlands 2 than what was “managed for Borderlands 1.”

“The stuff we’re planning and working on for the Campaign DLC Season Pass is big DLC stuff – more like Knoxx,” he said. “We’re extremely far along with the first campaign DLC. The second DLC is also in amazing shape. The third DLC is a little farther out and the fourth DLC is just in the pre-concept stages. We will have other, non-season pass related DLC. The additional character (Mechromancer) is one kind of example.

“The Borderlands 2 team is fired up at the moment. Customer love for the game is driving us wild – making us want to do more and more stuff. So, expect that there will be even more beyond the big Campaign DLC in the Season pass and the add’l character. We’ll announce more stuff as soon as we are able to be confident in the commitment of the details we share.”

Pitchford said to expect new weapons and enemies in campaign and other DLC releases, and while the majority of the larger campaign DLC’s are currently available at a discount with the Season Pass, he said he’d be “surprised if the Season Pass option [was] no longer available once the first campaign DLC becomes available.”

Gearbox also hopes to release lengthier campaigns and more character DLC along the lines of the Mechromancer, but the success of character will “help to define” whether more characters are released.

“Our ambition and passion and our fans requests will also contribute to decision making about what we do,” said Pitchford. “We’ve got some plans. We’ll be sharing some plans about that pretty soon. We’ve got a lot of awesome people working on post-launch content and we’ll talk about it soon.

“It’s just a little bit too early for me to announce anything specific yet, but we have some plans and some hopes and dreams. We’re also open to influence. There is active brainstorming about new characters going on. Nothing concrete yet – we’re waiting to see what the Mechromancer does to the game and how its received.”

Without going into detail, Pitchford also said there’s a “real possibility” for a Vita version of the game, and said gearbox has been approached by a company regarding a portable version of the shooter.

Borderlands 2 released in the US earlier this week and is out today in the UK.

The Mechromancer DLC will released on October 16 for $9.99/£7.99/800 MS Points for those who aren’t part of the Borderlands 2 Premiere Club

1. Se_7_eN

“…. We will have other, non-season pass related DLC.”

YESSSSS!!!!!

2. TheWulf

I’ve been holding back with my Borderlands 2 time because I know I’m just going to restart as soon as the Mechromancer is launched, too. A respectable, intelligent lady who builds giant robots of stomp? This is something I want in my games.

Also, I’m still curious as to whether they’re going to pull shenanigans with Mech Romancer. Frankly, having goofy robots who’re entirely smitten with and devoted to her would amuse me no end. I do hope her robots have personality, to be honest.

I’m one of those people who isn’t bothered by Claptrap. In fact, I’m probably the only person alive who noticed the beginning, where the last running claptrap had arranged all of his friends doing what they would have been if they were still alive (like playing cards, and such). Which… actually struck me as kind of weirdly poignant.

I wasn’t expecting a punch in the feelings right at the start of Borderlands 2. But most people probably would have seen it as a joke and moved on. In fact, I doubt most people even noticed.

3. DSB

I think that’s probably because you’re insane.

4. Phoenixblight

Mechromancer only employs one robot, Death Trap. Not an array of them. How Death Trap interacts in battles is all dependent on the skill tree.

5. drewbles82

I do like to get good deals on games so I would wait for game of year edition but this sorta stuff gives me even more reason to wait since I can have everything all in one go. Usually when i get a game, i play start to finish and that gets annoying if you end up waiting for DLC.

6. Dragon246

All well and good, but isn’t 10$ too much to ask for a character DLC?

7. SlayerGT

@6 personally I don’t think it’s too much.

8. Phoenixblight

Nope not at all with what the character offers.

9. Dragon246

What does it offer? I must say I am not a big fan of loot based games.

10. Phoenixblight

Then this game is clearly not for you. With that biased outlook anything for this game would be “too much.”

It offers a new character that has a completely new way of playing in a game that offers as much as the original (100 hours). THat right there is worth it to me.

11. Dragon246

@10,
    Now I get it, it means completely new way to play, new story etc.
    Then definitely worth it. Totally missed that part.
    Also that was my opinion, not everyone needs to be lovey-dovey for loot games, nor everyone is.

12. freedoms_stain

The story doesn’t change regardless of what character you play in Borderlands, the way you play drastically changes though.