Half-life 3 is open world, launching after 2013 – Report

Thursday, 20th September 2012 12:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Half-Life 3 is an open world shooter that will launch after 2013, a source close to Valve has allegedly revealed.

Speaking with Journaldugamer – by way of OXM – the source said that Half-Life 3 features saw a “total revision” following a “very chaotic” development schedule.

It was said to have been developed as a straight-up shooter but the source suggested that it ‘failed’ in that format, before being reigned back towards puzzles and exploration. The source also stated that Half-Life 3 will have a “open-world, quests and NPCs”

The source stated that development is well under way, and that the game will work several RPG elements into the mix. It was also suggested that the game will be a full Half-Life 3, not Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

What do you think? Vortigaunt fodder, or is this likely? Let us know below.

1. monkeygourmet

Babooooom!

Comments set to explode in 5….4….3….2…!

So, Half Life / Fallout?

2. Ali

Just like all the other HL3 rumors, this is rubbish.

3. MadFlavour

“After 2013″ interesting choice of words.

I’m guessing it will be way after 2013.

4. Gadzooks!

Please let this be true. Openworld beats linear scripted every time in my opinion.

I don’t mind waiting for it.

5. pukem0n

an anonymous source allegedly close to valve who allegedly make half life some time after 2013.

Seems legit.

6. Hcw87

My heart skipped a beat before realizing it was just a rumor and nothing official. If it does contain quests etc, people will certainly rage though. I don’t mind, though it’s possible it could lose the old classic HL feel if it was structured like this. Won’t be announced until the Next Gen platforms though.

7. Yoshi

If anything this will be a brand new game from Valve. I very much doubt they’d risk the Half-Life franchise on a move like this.

8. G1GAHURTZ

Not interested in rumours from “a source close to…”, thanks.

9. Ercarret

I kind of hope it’s true, and kind of don’t get how it could be true. I’m a big fan of both open world and roleplaying (elements in) games, but the latter puzzles me a bit. Open world could work, but “RPG elements” sounds weird for a Half Life game. Gordon is already an established character. Having him suddenly “gain levels” or making different decisions? That, to me, doesn’t sound very Half Life-y (although it still does sound interesting).

10. f1r3storm

An anonymous source told me Half-Life 3 is going to feature cake.

11. deadstoned

Need a better source than this.

12. YoungZer0

Another day, another Half-Life 3 rumor.

13. absolutezero

“that the game will work several RPG elements into the mix”

I hope to God to never see that sentence in relation to Half Life ever again. Or in relation to anything else ever.

14. Dave Cook

Agree that this is probably crap, but please bear in mind that VG247 is a news service that dedicates itself to total coverage, even if the news needing covered is utter crap ;)

We’ll label this one under “salt pinch” for now.

15. KrazyKraut

Rumor. It can be true, but it doesn’t has to.

16. Joe Musashi

@5 @8 @11 etc Agreed.

JM

17. Maximum Payne

Depends how big that world is.
    I think idea is something like Batman Arkham series.There is one big map to explore but when you go underground or somewhere then its old HL style.
    When rpg comes to place , I guess stuff like gedget and modifiers that increase health ,resistance to some elements,better damage with some weapons.Something like Bioshock and Batman combine.

18. anik_lc

After 2013? How about NEVER?

19. Dave Cook

@18 :/

20. OrbitMonkey

I heard off a guy, who knows a dude, who has a bro, who drinks with someone loosely connected to Valve…

And they say Gordon will be voiced by Matt Damon :-o

21. xxJPRACERxx

It could be nice but I hope it’s not HL3.

@18 The world will continue after 2012!

22. Gheritt White

Exclusive launch title for the rumoured Steambox?

23. DuckOfDestiny

For this to work, Source would have to undergo a massive revision for it to not run like shit.

In it’s current state, the engine would not be able to support a full open world map without loading screens everywhere.

Although this could play well with the rumors a few months back of Source 2 being in development. Now this has got me thinking of a massive open world styled Left 4 Dead, oh the possibilities.

24. Soroush

The cake is a lie.

25. monkeygourmet

Who rustled your jimmies?

26. OrbitMonkey

@25, You should post more complaints. VG247 could do with the hits ;-)

27. TMRNetShark

We got XCOM in 2 and a half weeks from now…

Planetary annihilation and Wasteland 2 are out next year… I don’t mind waiting.

I’m wondering if they’ll copy Borderlands and Fallout (without being buggy… but I loved NV.). Maybe without Borderlands’ maybe variations of weapons.

I do hope they still make it linear, but that’s why I really liked HL2. The story was cool.

28. mojo

If true, well, hmm…

not too pleased with rpg and open world..
    after all its half life and not fallout..

29. freedoms_stain

Open world sounded unlikely, RPG elements? That makes it sound like bullshit.

30. xino

INSANE!

I don’t believe!
    crazy man!
    HLF3…finally!
    now we need Shenmue 3!

Open WOrld? that is sick!
    can’t wait for online details

31. TheBlackHole

Finally someone leaked this. Sorry to those who don’t like the idea, but this is bang on the money.

Everyone knows HL3′s been in development turmoil, hence the no-comment attitude of Valve since Episode 2 came out. Are you really all that surprised?

As for sources, you should all realise that the only reason anything gets leaked is because journalists/whistle-blowers don’t reveal who the source is. I’m sure VG247 are the same.

32. silkvg247

This news is balls, no offense Dave.

Let me tell you I heard from a much more reliable source, whom I can’t disclose, that HL3 will involve the following new elements:

* Crowbar upgrades. Yes, embracing the roots of the series our old reliable Mr Crowy as I like to call him, will have various options for upgrade, such as nails, poison (dots) , and the ability to duct tape two together Darth Maul style.

* Cooking with Gordon – a new minigame where our protagonist embraces his new-found love of cooking, this plays out like the DS cooking mama games where you have to beat eggs and cut dough with various mouse gestures. Careful though, failure can affect Gordon’s depression meter ™.

* The depression meter ™. As Gordon fails at various tasks, he will become depressed. The level of depression will control how many shades of brown are in the world – the more depressed Gordon is, the more vibrant colours change a shade of brown.

* Dating! Gordon can cure his depression by dating various characters found across his travels. Because they want to be politically correct, we can date men, women and robots. Dating will involve minigames such as “Cupid’s tourettes” where the player must try and woo his potential mate without accidentally using the F word. This is done by shooting heart arrows at moving words as they fall down the screen.

* Gravity lite(tm) gun. Gordon can now shoot things to make them a couple of pounds lighter. Popular with the ladies.

* 10 legged spider robots – a completely new idea for a robot enemy, inspired by the iPhone 5. Bigger and.. well.. bigger. With more legs. And a new model number. The new 10LGSPD is a foe that puts all before it to shame. Revolutionary. Amazing. Astounding. Adjective.

.. I’m really excited, there are some genuinely brave, new ideas here and I can’t wait to see them in action.

33. TheBlackHole

@33 LMAO

34. Dave Cook

@33 none taken, as long as you can appreciate we have to cover everything – as per the site’s remit – even if it is a short in the dark rumour :)

Also, you forgot that the crowbar upgrades are paid for by microtransactions.

35. Gadzooks!

#33

Sold! I want your version of HL3, and a henry of whatever you pack your pipe with. :D

36. NiceFellow

Sounds like the very definition of bollocks.

37. Dave Cook

@37 I think you’ll find the very definition of bollocks is:

38. osric90

Open world Half-Life 3 sounds nothing good… I might be wrong, but I hope this is a rumour. The spectacular real-time everything about the entire Half-Life franchise is the way to go. Every scenario, setting and stage developed in such a way it doesn’t need any other perspective than first person and objectives that go with the flow and not with stupid favors and stuff like that. We want HALF-LIFE not Fallout, Borderlands, Stalker.

39. NiceFellow

@38 that looks like an article not a definition.

This is a definition!

Rumours have got to be covered I guess – but if this turns out to be true I’ll eat a hat. A small, edible hat of my own choosing mind.

40. TheOutcastWolf

@4 Then again your opinions rustle mines… indeed those Open World games are nice but HL was supposed to be straight up all the time, so it’s a high stake trying to do this… although this will be a boost for Source Modding

41. Lacobus

Add this one to the pile. I’d love it to be true but until we get that lovely valve annoucement/low-key press release/ARG my hopes will remain firmly where they are.