Sections

R18+ sticker scheme no longer on the cards in South Australia

Tuesday, 18th September 2012 06:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

South Australian state attorney-general John Rau has decided against implementing a plan to re-sticker all MA15+ games as R18+.

Rau proposed the scheme prior to all attorneys-general reaching an agreement to introduce classification reform, but stuck by the plan even when an R18+ ratings category was confirmed as on the way.

But following on from the release of the new classification guidelines for games, Rau feels his concerns have been addressed.

“The new MA15+ classification is now so different to the previous one that I no longer see an issue with it,” the politician said, speaking to InDaily.

“I will, however, keep a watching brief on MA15+ games. The guidelines include much tighter requirements for every level of classifications – in particular, what constitutes MA15+. Under the new guidelines, games that were previously classified as MA15+ could now be subject to an R18+classification.

“The guidelines draw an obvious distinction between games that are suitable for children, early-teens, and games that are only suitable for adults. This is critical, as teenagers and children will be restricted from purchasing unsuitable games. In fact, they will have less access to these games than they do now.”

Rau said that prior to classification reform, some games classified for adults internationally were sold under the MA15+ rating in Australia, which he believes makes it hard for parents and guardians. The new guidelines introduce “a serious gap between what children will be getting in games and what adults will be getting in games”, which apparently satisfies him.

The new classification comes into effect on January 2013; it’s passed through federal parliament but all states will need to sign off before then. The ACT was the first to do so.

Thanks, PlayerAttack.

Breaking news

0 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.