Killer Instinct trademark secured by Microsoft

Monday, 17th September 2012 23:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Killer Instinct’s trademark is safely back in Microsoft’s hands – but why now?

Microsoft announced the renewal itself on the Play XBLA blog.

“With all due respect to our friends in the media who like to frequent trademark sites, we thought we’d break this one ourselves,” the team wrote.

Although the post gives no indication of why the trademark was re-established, it could be a seen as a tease for upcoming news, as the text is careful to point out that it can only give a limited amount of information at this time.

“Our legal eagles have authorized us to say: ‘We have either renewed or refiled a trademark application in various jurisdictions.’ That’s it.”

The re-surfacing of Killer Instinct now seems a little suspicious; in late August, Rare revealed that Microsoft wasn’t keen on picking up its shelved third entry.

Rare produced the first two fighters in conjunction with Nintendo. Neither has been given the HD treatment or re-released for console networks. Hem hem.

[image - fanart]

1. LuLshuck

MS <3

2. Moonwalker1982

Maybe KI HD? Or a launch title for the new Xbox? Now that would make a killer (pun intended) launch. Then again, most of what was Rare is gone and went to Free Radical. Rare fucked up Banjo Kazooie, we’ll have to see what happens. But this IS rather curious.

3. Gheritt White

KI Arcade HD for XBLA. Doubtful Rare would be allowed near a true next instalment – MS’d give that to another dev studio without a doubt (more’s the pity).

4. HeavyD-Love

If Microsoft releases a Killer Instinct, I will stand up and applaud while shitting my pants at the same time

Then again, if Nintendo releases a proper Goldeneye007/N64 HD remake (ala Perfect Dark HD/XBLA) on Wii U, I would do the exact same thing.

5. heyvc

Microsoft Needs more Exclusives and Rare is a good way to go.. they could have an Exclusive Fighting game with killer instinct… they could give banjo and kazooie another shot.. for a plataformer game.. and perfect dark.. It could work again… they have only Halo, forza and Fable.. gears could anytime go away to others.. and alan wake also…

6. Henry

M$ renewed the trademark.
    M$ not interested in making KI3.

=> M$ is making a KI Kinect dancing game.

7. Ireland Michael

I will never understand people’s obsession for this game. As far as fighting games went, it was terrible. It was ugly (even for the time) charmless, and the gameplay was nothing more than a memory test in combos.

8. Clupula

After what they did to Shadowrun, it wouldn’t surprise me if they took one of the characters from the fighting game and restarted the franchise as a FPS.

9. The_Red

They are probably trying to release the arcade version of KI1 on XBLA to test the waters. I’m pretty sure they’ve seen renewed success of fighters with SF4 and MK9.

10. Gheritt White

@ 7: Ugly?!?! Oh c’mon, that’s pretty revisionist. KI was *easily* the prettiest fighter in arcades on its release. KI2 not-so-much, but the original was a landmark moment.

11. ManuOtaku

I hope they make a new installement on the series, although i will get an HD revision of the first and second game, Rare this gen did make great games, not as good as with their nintendo fase, but they were great nontheless, even viva piñata was a wonderfull discovery for me, i hope they can continue doing great games on the next microsoft console.

12. DrDamn

I always thought it was pretty awful. Lacking any of the control nuances and charm of the better fighters out there at the time.

13. freedoms_stain

I had Killer Instinct on the SNES, I liked it. It came with a soundtrack CD that I actually used to listen to quite a lot after I stopped playing the game.

14. bitsnark

I remember that soundtrack CD.