Guild Wars 2 expansion & ‘consistent free content updates’ teased

Monday, 17th September 2012 15:29 GMT By Dave Cook

Guild Wars 2 will receive a strong of consistent new content absolutely free of charge, ArenaNet’s game director Colin Johanson has confirmed. He also made mention of the game’s first full expansion.

Johanson discussed the issue of additional Guild Wars 2 content over on the game’s official forums.

“No need to buy them,” Johanson stated, “Gw2 will feature consistent free content updates and in-game events going forward. Our goal is to make it so you get more from Gw2 for free than you get from a game you pay a subscription for.”

Johanson added, “On top of a large amount of free bonus content, we will be expanding on offerings in the Black Lion Trading Company going forward, as well as be doing large-scale expansion content down the road.”

“We’ll cover a lot of the details on the kind of support and plans we have in place over the next month or so on the Gw2 blog and with our press partners. We do appreciate that you’d like to buy lots of new content, but we’d prefer to give a lot of it to you for free, cause that’s what we think a responsible MMO company does.”

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. viralshag

Nice.

To be honest though the only free content I would really like now is some more bank space.

2. DSB

@1 Dude, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I’d be satisfied if they’d just allow for individual banks for each character, but it’s obvious that they really want to push you to buy some gems.

I’m pretty sure that plays a huge role in the exploration/Chest rewards too. You get so many useless unique items that take up space, and you have nowhere to store them.

I’m forced to delete them for the sake of crafting.

3. Hcw87

The gems required for extra bank space is like 1-2g or something, and that’s an obscenely small amount. Use the Gold>Gem converter on the Trading Post.

4. GrimRita

#3 is right. If you play the market well, you can end up getting a few gems for your cash. Best rate I have seen is 40 gems for 10s, lowest 28 gems for 10s. I always use 10s as a guide so I can quickly see if its worth changing.

I purchased £100 worth of gems to get bank tabs and extra storage but now I dont think I will need to buy anything, apart from armour skins and boosts.

Either way, I dont mind paying for content or expansions but I really want them to nail the Trading Post. Its so stupid that items cost MORE to make then they do to sell. However, I have also managed to buy a certain popular crafting material for cheap and then sell it for around 60c profit each.

5. viralshag

It’s not really that small an amount. The AH doesn’t make you that much money as everything is just undercut to near vendor level prices. Skill books cost you about 3 gold in total. Travelling by waypoint costs about a silver each time. Gathering tools at a decent level sets you back about 12 silver for a full set of each. And quests don’t offer that much.

In game money goes out much faster than it comes in. In my experience anyway. As with a lot of this game, in order to make enough to buy what I consider the basic necessities, requires a lot more of my time than it’s worth.

6. GrimRita

You just need to play the markets viral. I was a chef and making a few coins on mostly mats, since anything the Chef did make, wasnt worth selling on the TP because, as you pointed out – there’s just no money in it.

So – Recently, I looked at both Gold and Silver ores/ignots then checked to see how much things like Gold/Silver bands, settings, hooks etc are selling for on the TP.

I then place an order for either Ore or ingots, depending on which is best priced(remember it takes 2 ore to craft 1 ingot) and then making(in this case Gold/Silver settings), yielding me an over night profit of 3G.

Sure, it takes time to look into these things but when you have a market as bad as the one in GW2 currently, you need to think like a Banker! LOL

7. DSB

I have the same experience as viralshag. Spending a gold on gems is more than half of my gold, and that also needs to be set aside for a bunch of other money sinks, like upgrading your profession. I fail to see how that’s an obscenely small amount.

There’s really no reason why they couldn’t make character-specific banks, but that’s the sort of thing you run into in a game based on micro-transactions.

You could play the mats market, I guess I’ll have to, but honestly, it should be possible to make a profit on the weapons you pick up. You’re essentially just trying to fix the fact that the ingame economy is anemic by design.

8. roadkill

Typical of Anet, giving stuff for free unlike other companies who ask money for it. This is how it should be done. I mean, how f**ked up in the head do you have to be to actually pay money for those things!?

9. Hcw87

I earn around 1g per day just by casually playing the game at lvl 80. I usually vendor every green/yellow/white drop that i get, since the actual mats you get from salvaging them are worth less than what you get by vendoring. Ofcourse, i check every item first to see if it’s worth a fair bit on the TP. Getting 100% on the zones at maximum level also earns you alot of cash.

10. GrimRita

DSB – until the economy some how gets ‘fixed’, you just have to play the markets. Its time consuming but its probably THE quickest way to make cash quickly.

To be honest I am stunned at how somethings work out. One crafting mat is selling on the TP for around 1s.20c-1s.50c but I place an order @65-75c depending on how high those prices are. I then RESELL that same item for the prices of 1s20/1s50!

And, what makes matters worse, it actually costs me LESS, then making this item myself doing it this way! lol.

So you can see the return I can achieve when buying in bulk, but we warned, ONLY purchase small amounts at first – say 10-30 in quantity of anything, until you’ve found the right item. You want to make money, not lose it! Oh, and DO take into account the TP fee in your maths :)

11. viralshag

@6, You’re probably right. I’ve never been one to play the whole MMO market thing. Honestly, I’ve never really been that good at it which is why I tend not to bother.

12. DSB

Time to get out the notepad and spreadsheet :P

13. viralshag

Haha, tell me about it. When a game turns too much into a job is where I feel like something has gone wrong.

I’ll just open up a new tab on my finances spreadsheet specifically for GW2. I’ll work out how many orders of copper, platinum and mithril I need when I’m sorting out my utility payments. ;)

14. jd2012

As for bank space. GW2 already gives far more free than any other game does. You can also craft your own player bags to get more space, and it costs you nothing but crafting them… creating larger bags.

The crafting items you collect/find also have their own FREE storage section… that holds MANY different items. A rough estimate is over 320 slots for different unlimited crafting items. NO other game does that for free.

15. DSB

@14 MMOs have been allowing you to craft bags for over a decade now.

Nobody’s critisizing collections, it’s a great feature, but they don’t cover the materials you craft yourself, which is where the problem starts.

If you have two characters with four different trade skills, then you’re going to run out of space very quickly.

And it doesn’t have to happen. Most other MMOs have been providing character-specific banks for over a decade, which would completely solve the problem.

That, or allowing you to purchase slots with regular currency – Another thing that most other MMOs have been letting you do since times immemorial.

Of course it would mean fewer gems sold for ArenaNet, and that’s obviously the reasoning for doing it that way.

16. GrimRita

I think the entire problem started (with storage) once TP didnt work for a week. Its created a huge surplus of stuff, created the problems with pricing and lack of storage!

Im sure it will all balance itself soon enough.

17. viralshag

What I would like to see is like what they have in the sPvP zone, a wardrobe sort of thing where I can store crafted items or gear.

@14, DSB is right. The set it up that way so suckers like Grim would spend an extra £100 on storage space…

Only messing mate :p

18. Hybridpsycho

How about they fix all the fucking broken skill points and dynamic events first?

Honestly, don’t wanna flame but it’s terrible. Truly a turn-off to try and do anything when everything outside WvW/Dungeons is broken.

19. DSB

There are a lot of issues keeping the NPCs in the right spot apparently. Once an NPC disappears into the ground or a wall you’re screwed.

20. GrimRita

I havent found anything broken. Ive heard that a couple of things arent working but hey, its a massive game. But yes, no excuses!

@17 :-p

21. DSB

It’s just random stuff. It’s almost always the events where you have to escort NPCs. Sometimes they fall through the ground, others they get stuck in a wall or a structure.

They don’t seem to recover automatically, and I don’t know if ArenaNet have a GM system so they can reset them manually or what.

22. jacobvandy

The elegantly simple solution to not needing extra storage space for the stuff you craft is… Don’t craft intermediate materials that you don’t need. ZOMG HEAD ASPLODE!

Seriously, I don’t know why you would do that. It’s pretty easy to figure out exactly what you need to make whatever item you’re trying to create. Don’t waste your mats churning out dowels or insignias or whatever else for the meagre XP they grant you, discover a variety of recipes instead. Anything you have leftover can just be sold on the TP.

And god help you if you try to level up Chef on anything but a mule character equipped with really large bags.

23. DSB

@22 I suppose you could choose to disregard the fundamental design of the crafting system, not give a crap about efficiency, and simply give away any excess mats on the TP, but personally I’d rather not grind or buy more mats, or spend more time on it than I have to. Getting as far as you can with as little as you can is the gratifying bit of the average MMO crafting system.

Sometimes you’ll make more mats than you can immediately use by getting all the skillpoints you can. You don’t “have” to, but the fact that you don’t “have” to do something has to be the first cop-out ever concieved to defend bad or lacking design.

The fact remains that in pretty much every other MMO you can think of, it wouldn’t be a problem.

24. TheWulf

The game gives you massive amounts of space for all crafting materials, gems, mini figures, and more. What are those complaining doing with their banks that requires so much space that can’t go into the collections?

I just think it’s trolling to bang on about banks not being per-character and then not mentioning that most of the things go into this massive super-bank which is categorised for your browsing pleasure (collections). I have 10 characters, currently, and I haven’t even come close to filling up the collections part of my bank.

Is it just scraping the barrel to desperately try to find some little thing to snipe at? If so, it is indeed coming over as sounding a bit desperate. Oh, indeed, this evil ArenaNet is trying to get us to buy bank space when A.) they give us liberal amounts of bank space via collections, and B.) we can exchange in game money for gems.

Yep, that sounds so evil, and so typical of those evil microtransaction models.

Sigh.