FTL: Faster Than Light now available on Steam, GoG.com

Saturday, 15th September 2012 15:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

FTL: Faster Than Light is now available on Steam.

The space-sim, combat strategy game is also 10% off this weekend, so it will run you $8.99 instead of the usual $9.99.

There’s also a pack available which includes the game and its soundtrack for $13.98, or alternatively, you can get the soundtrack separate for $3.99.

You can also get it through GoG.com for 10% off as well.

FTL: Faster Than Light pits players behind the controls of a spaceship as they try to save the galaxy. Each mission has multiple solutions.

Hit up the links for more information, and watch the trailer below.

1. silkvg247

Addictive! *thumbs up*

2. DSB

12k concurrent users on Steam. 12k. Two indie developers. Universal praise all over the interwebs. Kickstartered.

This is really the best thing to happen to videogames since the 90′s.

3. OwnedWhenStoned

Bought this just now. Looking forward to playing it later..

4. absolutezero

I feel like theres something wrong with me in that I can’t see a single thing that would interest me in this.

5. NeoSquall

Looks really promising.

Too bad I can’t purchase it right now :( but it’s definitely in my watch list.

6. OwnedWhenStoned

I’m unsure as to WHY I wanted it. I just wanted it…

7. DSB

It’s seriously ugly to look at, but that just reminds me of the time when I thought the same thing about Darwinia. Then I actually played it, and since then I’ve been an indie junkie.

That’s what sold me.

I just finished my first game. I didn’t die because my ship was beaten, though. I died because first one of my crew died trying to fix the oxygen generator, stayed too long, and suffocated. My second guy got trampled on an away team, trying to gather creatures from a planet for sale somewhere else, leaving just one crew.

The guy who was left wasn’t able to repair any of his systems when we he finally got attacked. The other ship hit my weapons systems, so I couldn’t shoot back, and then my door controls, so I couldn’t put out the fires by venting the airlocks. My ship just slowly fell apart while that one guy ran around hopelessly trying to fix it.

It’s really something :P

8. YoungZer0

@4: Nope, i’m with you. Even if i’d be interested in that genre, the controls look uselessly complicated. If anything, the trailer made me not want to check it out.

9. rrw

this game is soo good. you feel like a captain in this ship.

it probably better if it have more variety

@8 the control is not complicated. you can easily play it which just a mouse.

10. DSB

The controls are extremely simple, and it really doesn’t take a lot of input.

I’m pretty sure you could figure it out just by mousing over the interface, but after the 3 minute tutorial, you know everything you need to know.

My only real complaint is that the game isn’t bigger than it is. It would be awesome if they could add more aliens and planets and ships and weapons.

If you can get past how ugly it is, it’s a great game.

11. YoungZer0

Hm, okay. Guess i’ll give it a try, if i find the time, but that seriously doesn’t look that interesting.

12. DSB

Most of the game basically has you managing your ship and your crew, while fighting another ship.

So you have to aim, power, and fire your weapons, hitting the systems of the other ship (Engine, Cockpit, Weapons, Shield, Cloak, Drone, Oxygen, Transporter) tactically, while keeping your own systems operational.

Your ship can catch fire, and you have to use crew to put it out, damaging them slowly, or open a path from your airlock to the burning room, so the fire will suffocate.

Your hull can breach, in which case all the air goes out of the room, and your guys have to fix it while slowly suffocating.

All your systems can be hit. Oxygen means your ship slowly becomes airless, Weapons means you won’t be able to power your weapons, Engine hurts maneuvrability (meaning you lose evasion against incoming attacks), Cockpit ditto, Shields obviously mean that you lose shield power and regeneration. They need to be repaired by the crew.

And sometimes your ship gets boarded, in which case you have to spend your crew defending your ship from the inside.

And that all happens through a grand campaign map, like Flotilla, where you travel from node to node, trying to reach your home base, running into all kinds of random events, some of which are like 1980′s text RPGs.

It’s really something :P

13. OwnedWhenStoned

OK, played this last night, absolutely loved it.

Made it to the fifth sector before dallying too long and being caught by the rebel fleet.

2 nasties teleported aboard and destroyed my engine so I couldn’t jump out and got destroyed before I could fix it.

All the way through I had a smile on my face. This game is a keeper.