Project Eternity Kickstarter funded in just over 24 hours

Friday, 14th September 2012 18:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Project Eternity, the new isometric, party-based RPG in development from Obsidian, has hit its $1.1 million funding goal on Kickstarter in just over 24 hours.

Obsidian has said on Twitter to expect an update to Project Eternity’s Kickstarter page “soon.”

The firm said Project Eternity “aims to recapture the magic, imagination, depth, and nostalgia of classic RPGs that we enjoyed making – and playing.”

Here’s the official blurb on the game:

“Project Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment.

“Combat uses a tactical real-time with pause system – positioning your party and coordinating attacks and abilities is one of the keys to success. The world map is dotted with unique locations and wilderness ripe for exploration and questing. You’ll create your own character and collect companions along the way – taking him or her not just through this story, but, with your continued support, through future adventures. You will engage in dialogues that are deep, and offer many choices to determine the fate of you and your party. …and you’ll experience a story that explores mature themes and presents you with complex, difficult choices to shape how your story plays out.”

Obsidian’s funding goal of $1.1 million was met this afternoon in just under 28 hours, and there are still 31 days left. As of this post, the project has earned $1,103,468 from 26,945 backers.

Reward tiers and more information can be found through the Kickstarter link.

Obsidian teased the game’s reveal for a little over a week before launching its Kickstarter mid-afternoon on September 15.

1. DSB

Is that really the kind of name you want to see on a Kickstarter?

Along with the cover of Alpha Protocol… Yuck!

2. The_Red

Chris Avellone AND Tim Cain? Shit just got serious.

EDIT: Also, Josh Sawyer. This sounds too good to be true.

3. roadkill

Project Eternity? Really? LOL!! Obsidian FAIL!!

4. ballz

theyll raise the $ in one day

5. fearmonkey

Sounds good to me :) looking forward to it :)

6. absolutezero

I wonder who Obsidian are going to blame when they don’t have a publisher to point the finger at.

When the game is an inevitable mess I mean.

7. Moonwalker1982

Oh….so this was the teaser for.

8. Sylrissa

Those are some bold statements, if they could actually pull it off, it would be good.

I’ll be watching for updates to convince me before I back this though.

9. DSB

That counter is going up miiiiighty fast. They just raised over 100,000 in about an hour.

10. Uncontested

Its already at $190,000.

11. ManuOtaku

Is this the same project as the watcher with the uroboros emblem that was posted yesterday?, or is another project entirely?

12. Edo

Yawn….

13. fearmonkey

@11 -same game, I was hoping for a wheel of time game, but this sounds good too.

14. Night Hunter

I’m waiting for the stretch goals, look what they have in mind (I mean they had to know that they would obliterate those 1.1 Mill in a matter of hours), then I just might make a pledge …

15. ManuOtaku

#13 Thanks for the respond, but i was waiting something under the Nordic Mythology to tell you the truth, theres not that many games with that mythos, maybe too human and folklore and thats it, that i can think of, by the way i did like both of those games.

16. IrrationalGamer

I sure hope that Obsidian one day learns to realistically set the scope of their projects. They overshoot, and then their games just feel unfinished, there are bugs etc.

Fallout NV: where are the enemies for the overworld? Why are there so many GD fetch quests once you reach New Vegas? The group in the lower left (forget their name) feels unfinished despite the fact that they’re one of the major factions in the game. Why are the enemies in the game either extremely easy or extremely hard?

On the other hand, I love the companions in that game and the writing that goes along with them.

17. Ercarret

I’m psyched for this game! I haven’t felt like this for a very, very long time. While they didn’t actually show anything, which was a bit disappointing, it’s still Obsidian creating an old school RPG! I feel like running around, dancing, singing, laughing, screaming, giggling.

18. Old MacDonald

Roadkill: “Project Eternity? Really? LOL!! Obsidian FAIL!!”

470 000 dollars and counting. I have a hunch they might not FAIL!! Also, LOL.

19. AHA-Lambda

breached 500k now. Surely this is breaking Kickstarter records for games, yeah?

20. Sylrissa

Wow has this shot up fast, it was around 75k when I first saw it, they’ll be breaking 1.1 within 24hours at this rate.

21. GwynbleiddiuM

754,794 waddap?!

22. Sini

poo, real time combat with pause button sucks compared to true turn base system like ToEE had.

23. The_Red

There is no denying that true / full turn based is really awesome but if done right, the pause system can be rather fun (KOTOR).

24. Ercarret

Didn’t the old IE games come with an option to turn their combat into (more or less) fully turnbased? I vaguely remember an option to auto-pause the game each turn in at least some of the games. I never played the games like that, but I guess it could be a possible solution to please both sides now.

25. NocturnalB

Why did they use the same dragon-bites-tail emblem TESO uses?

26. DSB

It’s really one of the most universal symbols there is, throughout civilization. The Elder Scrolls is a few thousand years late to the game itself.

27. AHA-Lambda

Obsidian, you magnificent bastards!! :D

28. TMRNetShark

I funded this game because I love Obsidian games… more than the originals… >.>

29. Phoenixblight

I find it funny the people that are eating this hype up with no gameplay footage and a desperate pitch. Obsidian has put out more crappy games than they have their good ones which would be Planescape:Torment and Fallout:NV everything else was mediocre at best. Alpha Protocol was utter trash its no wonder why they are a studio that jumps on already established franchises because they can’t do their own IP.

30. TMRNetShark

So? Do you have a problem with other people spending their own money?

I find it funny that find offense to how other people react to what other people do. I’ve funded 3 kickstarter games, totally $70. With $70, I could get one game brand new… or 3 potentially great games (I know for a fact that Wasteland 2 and Planetary Annihilation will be amazing). Project Eternity is… well… we don’t know anything.

31. Jerykk

Speak for yourself. I greatly enjoyed FNV and Alpha Protocol. I didn’t much enjoy NWN2 but that’s because I don’t like D&D in general. From what I’ve read, NWN2 is better than the first game in every way (the Mask of the Betrayer expansion in particular gets lots of acclaim). I haven’t played Dungeon Siege 3 yet but apparently it’s pretty polished, which proves that Obsidian can make games that are relatively bug-free.

People are backing this Kickstarter because of the names involved. Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer, Tim Cain… these are big names in the history of CRPGs. Given their strong body of work, I’m completely confident that they can make a great old-school CRPG.

As for doing their own IP, that’s what this Kickstarter is for. Publishers are extremely risk averse and they don’t want to fund anything unless they think it will sell millions of units. Bioware and Bethesda are essentially the only studios that publishers will trust with big-budget RPGs and no publisher is going to finance an old-school, isometric, PC-exclusive CRPG. That’s why Obsidian is turning to Kickstarter.

32. jacobvandy

HUGE SUCCESS.

It won’t be long now until one of the Activision/Ubisoft/EAs of the world try to cash in on the idea of millions of dollars being given toward the mere promise of a new game… and the KS community will shit on them SO HARD I could almost laugh right now.

33. freedoms_stain

@32, nah, most of the time the bottom tier of a Kickstarter project nets you a game or product for less than the planned RRP. Activision Ubisoft and EA have enough money to fund production of new games without selling their 1st 30,000 copies on the cheap. On top of that Kickstarter and Amazon take a slice out the funding.

34. silkvg247

I think it’s a little sad that an already established studio that doesn’t need money is kind of.. well.. abusing kickstarter for want of a better word.

I know it’s kinda cool, like having a preorder for a game you’d like to be made, and we all benefit from that.

But if other AAA devs follow suit, what happens to all the little guys? They’ll get buried. And then KS is no longer a place for “anyone” with new ideas, it’s a place for already established devs to publish new IP without needing a publisher.

I mean again that isn’t a bad thing for us as gamers, but the small voices not being heard would be a loss as it’s often those voices that bring revolutionary new ideas (not talking about myself as I haven’t had any of said ideas.. yet!).

35. The_Red

I don’t think Obsidian is abusing Kickstarter even though I definitely understand your point about AAAs following suit and agree about that part.

The thing is, Obsidian or InXile both are big studios trying to use Kickstarter for the titles that publishers NEVER support. These games will never be considered mainstream AAA titles. Isometric RPGs with lots of dialogue like Arcanum or original Fallouts are almost extinct. A few super low budget fan projects are not what fans of those games want.

This Kickstarter is the place where makers of IceWind Dale, Fallout 1&2 and Torment can work on those types of things and only Kickstarter allows them to do this. On the other hand, if some one tries to make a COD or AAA mainstream game, then maybe we could call it abuse.

36. AHA-Lambda

@34 as much as I see your point, I don’t think many of these small studios would have ever gotten this kind of money via Kickstarter. Plus Obsidian are not really in the greatest of financial shape right now anyway =/

37. GwynbleiddiuM

Right there, I’m a happy man. I’m going to have the time of my life with Shadowrun, Project Eternity and Grim Dawn.

@34 Well established? Are you their CFO? You must be, don’t you remember the downhill roll they’ve been in just last year after hey’ve been screwed out of their bonus by Bethesda and that resulted in downsizing and layoffs? or the fact that Alpha Protocol was a huge disaster?

AND, these ambitious projects wont get any funding by publishers. Even if they did they’d become things like Dungeon Siege 3, hardly a Dungeon Siege game, barely recognizable. So, this is not abusing the kickstarter. This is exactly the right way to use kickstarter. DoubleFine is a well established studio as well, but they succeeded to fund their game through kickstarter.

No one would fund an isometric party based cRPG, because frankly it wont be a game the majority of gamers are going to play. Invetors/publishers are targeting triple As like Skyrim and Mass Effect, the kind of games that are going to return their investments tenfold.

38. TheWulf

Speak for yourself. I liked Alpha Protocol and I’ve read a bunch of other people who have, too. It’s a spy RPG, it was bloody revolutionary at the time. Oh no, Obsidian were trying something new and it wasn’t a polished triple-A title because it was actually ingenious.

Sigh. You kids today can’t appreciate originality at all. It’s all polish and no imagination. Not even a spark of imagination. There’s nothing out there that was revolutionary and also perfectly polished. From Ultima VII to Vampire: Bloodlines, the mature mind accepts that if a group of people set out to do something truly new, it’s going to have teething problems. Sometimes big ones.

Okay, okay. Fine. I’m fine with that. I’d rather that than being spoonfed the same bland palette of tripe that we’ve become oh so used to. Give me some bugs along with those grand inventions any day of the week. I don’t give a toss about polish.

Alpha Protocol was a brilliant little game. It was an idea, and one that no one had had. That you can’t appreciate it does make me a little sad, but it doesn’t surprise me at the same time. No, I really can’t say that it does surprise me. If you value polish over the raw idea that much, why are you even paying attention to Obsidian?

Aside from Dungeon Siege III, which was by far and wide the most uninteresting thing they’d created, Obsidian have become known for their wildly ambitious projects. Things that set out to do something entirely worthwhile, something brilliant and memorable.

And yet they get so much flack. Flack that developers who’re responsible for buggy atrocities whilst being uninspired never get, developers like Bethesda, and games like Skyrim. I’m not sure I fully understand it.

I don’t want to be a hipster. But does Obsidian just go over the heads of some sorts? Is that where the anger comes from?

I’m beginning to genuinely feel that that might be the case.

Oh! And regarding the name? Seems a good amount of people disagree with you considering how popular the Kickstarter has been, doesn’t it?

Bugs like in Fallout 3 or Skyrim, you mean? Guh. I really do think that Obsidian just does tend just fly over the heads of certain types, at this point. I can;t come to any other conclusion.

RARGH! GAME GO OVER HEAD!! SO ANGREE!!! I POST ‘BOUT BUGS! BUGS! BUGS!!! THAT GET THEM GOOD. HURR HURR HURR.

Sigh. There are moments when I feel I must understand how Picard feels when he suffers one of those facepalms of his that punctuate just how much patience he’s had to expend.

This is one of those moments.

That’s an Ouroboros.

Kids these days. I swear.

Awww. Did their games go over your head?

Well hey… rage on, guy. Rage on.

That feeling is growing. :|

The rest of it is well covered, so I’ll leave that alone.

39. DSB

I can see how Alpha Protocol might be revolutionary, if you hadn’t played a videogame since 2003. And even then I reckon that Sid Meier’s Covert Action is still a much better spy game than Alpha Protocol will ever be.

It did nothing that Mass Effect hadn’t done before, and it did it worse, with none of the endearing qualities that actually made Mass Effect worth playing.

The story was a parody, along with pretty much every one of the characters, the gameplay was an amateurish, broken mess. It’s the kind of “spy game” that Uwe Boll would make. If he had a lobotomy, and drank five bottles of vodka a day.

40. The_Red

Holy hell, another Alpha Protocol fan :)

I don’t think it was hugely revolutionary but yeah, it had some really fresh ideas and the Spy RPG part was mostly spot on. Never understood the huge amount of hatred it got from people.
    Sure, it was kinda unpolished and didn’t look that great but so did Fallout 3.

41. silkvg247

I have AP, not played it yet :)

42. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB I’m just surprised at the fact that you played it long enough to have an opinion on the story, after playing the first mission I just shift deleted the game off my hard drive. It’s by far the worst RPG game I ever played. :D

@40 it wasn’t unpolished, more like half baked. It was so bare that you could sink a Titanic in it and it still didn’t covered the bareness of the experience.

43. DSB

@42 I think the only thing that made me finish it was morbid curiosity.

Like the kind of unintentional B-movie where you just have to see how bad it will get. They couldn’t even do character movement properly, and the protagonist was such an empty shell he made Commander Sheperd look like Klaus Kinski.

I think I paid something like 2 euro for it on one of the burn sales SEGA did, and that was 2 euros too many.

44. Sylrissa

I never played AP so I wouldn’t know.

However VTM:Bloodlines that was a game I finished several times over, and had a lot of fun despite it’s bugs.

45. YoungZer0

@38: Or could it be that Alpha Protocol was simply a complete mess?

As much as i loved the game, you seem to completely forget just how messed up it was. The gameplay was broken, from start to finish. Horrendous mini-games, clunky controls, terrible shooting mechanics, terrible CQC, terrible detection-system.

The story wasn’t as smart as you think it was. Matter of fact, it was one of the many things that was wrong about the game. It was way too predictable. The music and the sound were also pretty forgettable.

The art-direction was a complete disaster. I mean, wow, it nearly broke my heart just how out of place most things looked. Was this game really trying to be like Bourne, or 24? Because at times, it was more like an episode of ‘Archer’.

The very best thing is what has always has been the very best thing about Obsidian: The Writing. Some of the characters were just outstandingly brilliant. It’s probably the only game that allows your game to literally tell a to go and fuck himself.

Here are some of the example for the amazing dialog choices of the game:

Here’s a perfect example of just how messed up the art-direction is:

Let’s not forget that one of the staff members of Obsidian himself said that the game should’ve never seen the light of day. If it wasn’t for the community the game would’ve been unplayable. Ran like shit on high-end machines.

And i’m fucking tired of hearing about Vampire: Bloodlines. The game was also a mess and you know what? Fan patch 9.0 or whatever still didn’t fix shit. The game crashes less, sure, but the animations are still bad, the gameplay mechanics still not flashed out, the combat still horrible. And this is important. This isn’t Planescape Torment, where i can read the whole thing and imagine the rest. The story is mostly delivered through cutscenes and dialog, so they have to work, but they didn’t.

I can’t continue to support developers who do a half-assed job.

If Obsidian cared, they would’ve hired proper gameplay-directors, animators and graphic artists a long time ago and they would stop taking contracts for games that need another year or two. New Vegas is probably one of their best games, but it works mostly because the community cared more than they did and decided to fix it.

What i really dislike about this project is that it doesn’t look original from the start. Another RPG in a fantasy setting, with elves and shit? Really? Why not create something ORIGINAL! Arcanum was interesting and it was original, so why did you go back to a boring medieval setting again? Why not choose something like Victorian London as a setting, with elves. That’s interesting. Or our time, with elves!

46. Phoenixblight

Tim Cain was a programmer which has nothing to do with how the game was other than how it worked.

I loved Vampire Masquerade too but just because Tim Cain was part of that development doesn’t make this game better or worse.

People are buying into the potential of the game not what will actually come out of this. I prefer seeing gameplay videos especially from a studio like this who have put out 80% crap that why I didn’t even bother with wastelanders 2. Just because you may have put out a hit game 20+ years ago doesn’t mean you will do it again.

47. absolutezero

“Alpha Protocol was a brilliant little game. It was an idea, and one that no one had had. That you can’t appreciate it does make me a little sad, but it doesn’t surprise me at the same time.”

It both amazes and scares me that people like this actually exist.

Go on then, what was Alpha Protocol’s gift to the World? What was its idea?

Big blonde Russian women in silly clothes?

p.s. I love you guys.

48. DSB

She was East German :P

Well, East German by way of 1970′s American exploitation flicks.

49. Ercarret

I really liked AP! Although, there’s no denying that it had a lot of problems and came out after a lot of games that did a lot of stuff a lot better. The delay that placed it after ME2 did not do the game any favours.

I’m interested to see what they can do in their Onyx engine. DS3 was a bit boring, sure, but it was also the most polished game they’ve ever released. If that’s due to them finally working on their own tech, and if that can translate to Eternity, then this could get really interesting.

50. viralshag

This will probably come as a shocker but I actually agree with TheWulf in that I liked Alpha Protocol too. ;)

It had its problems but I had fun playing it.

51. bpcgos

Great interview here:

And, this will insult some of us here :
    “[I'm] tired of designing content and interactions that caters to consoles and console controllers.” (Chris Avellone)