Gamestation no more: all stores to be rebranded as Game

Friday, 14th September 2012 11:14 GMT By Dave Cook

Gamestation – the UK high street retail chain – is to be no more, following the announcement that parent company Game will be rebranding all stores to fall in line with its brand.

MCV reports that the announcement was made during a Game conference this morning.

The move will see all Gamestation stores across the UK becoming Game outlets, as part of a move to refocus the group after the closure of many sites across the country earlier this year.

It is unclear at this time when the changes will come into effect, but we’ll have more as it happens.

1. nikk900

I work at gamestation and we were told both game and gamestation were being rebranded but keeping the name GAME.

2. BraveArse

Can understand why but it’s a sad day. I’ve always had much better service at Gamestation than Game no matter where I’ve lived. May have been just coincidence but it felt like they employed people who actually liked games. :(

3. nikk900

@2 Everyone at the gamestation where I work is a huge gamer, when I was at GAME they were not such big gamers and just focused on targets and money.

4. TheBlackHole

Gamestation > GAME.

Terrible, terrible decision. Hate the service at Game. Gamestation used to be great.

5. Hunam

The problem with gamestation was that it smelled like sweaty feet all the time. I wont miss that.

6. SplatteredHouse

@4: +1111111…GAME’s an unfocused has-been. Gamestation was awesome, before they came along and messed it all up.

7. SplatteredHouse

@5: Honestly, i’d probably take that over the sanitized blandness that GAME embodies.

8. friendlydave

@5 I thought it was just me^^ Where I am GAME was a much better service than Gamestation, the store was always dirty, dark and smelt terrible.

9. Beta

@8 Exactly the same with mine! Always smelt like the local tramp had been in and the staff were so grumpy.

Whereas my local GAME always gave me better trade in prices and the staff were a lot more cheerful. Go figure :)

10. BraveArse

@5 I think they pumped that through the store to attract gamers and persuade them to buy. Must be a pheremone thing… ;)

11. Froseidon

That’s odd, ‘cos the GAME that I use the people there are really nice. Also, there is a Gamestation like 5 minutes from it and the people there are awesome too.

Must just be you guys ;)

12. GrimRita

Look at the history. Before gamestation, we had ‘Game’ and Electronics Boutique who were the ‘Dixons’ of gaming.

Bright white walls, shirt/tie for staff where the original game was polo shirts, true gamers. Then the dark days came when EB purchased GAME back in 1997/(I think) and then rubbed the awful EB brand across GAME stores but with different colours, then changing from shirts to polo shirts to give it a ‘cool’ vibe (LOL).

And now we fast forward to todays news. Personally, I couldnt give a toss as I havent set foot in either one of their stores since probably 2007 to purchase a special edition of Total War.