Borderlands 2 Golden Keys explained

Friday, 14th September 2012 06:46 GMT By Naren Hooson

Used to unlock the Golden Chest in the city of Sanctuary, it will give a player access to the very rare loot contained within.

Examiner reported on a post in the Gearbox forum by Chris Faylor, Gearbox Community Manager, outlining how one may obtain a golden key, but also how it works in the game.

This very rare loot is scaled to a character’s level. And because a player will only get one of these keys, it is crucial to consider what quality of loot they want to unlock.

While the loot itself can be traded or sold, the key cannot.

Preordering the game from a Premiere Club retailer or acquiring a code from an event or giveaway could earn you a key. Another way to get your hands on one is to purchase a Mechromancer DLC season pass.

1. freedoms_stain

So the best thing to do is to wait 18 months for all the dlc to come out and raise the level cap to max.

Who will have the patience?

2. viralshag

I kinda feel like they should offer one with every DLC… Like #1 said, who will wait that long?

3. silkvg247

I will :)

4. CyberMarco

Me too, plenty of games to go! :D

5. viralshag

Ugh, get lost you two! You’re ruining our point! ;)

I guess it wouldn’t be hard to simply forget about it until we have all the DLC.

6. Naren Hooson

Just play it again with a different character once DLC is out!

7. roadkill

@1 Patience? I don’t have any money. I’ll wait.

8. drewbles82

hahaha I will wait for game of yr, when i can do it all in one go and by then, there maybe more than 1key.

9. monkeygourmet

What is your fascination with my forbidden closet of mystery?! :)

10. NeoSquall

I think I’ll wait till I have maxed my character, then.
    Anyway, a better question would be “do you receive just 1 golden key per account or 1 per character?”

11. Bobaf3tt

Something i don´t get, Is it one key per character or one key for the whole game?

12. Talkar

^I can’t find it right now, so don’t take my word for it. But i remember reading it is one key per profile, not character. So i’m waiting until i’m maxed out on a character. Then i’ll join up with 3 friends that have the item find relic and then i’ll open it x)

13. OrbitMonkey

My only complaint with this & with Borderlands in general, is that in a game with a million guns, who gives a shit?

It’ll just be a slightly more powerful acid/fire/lightening gun variant. Nothing unique.

14. Talkar

How is the prospect of a different gun in a game about guns a bad thing?

15. OrbitMonkey

^ Because ite just another gun. 5 mins after using your key, you’ll probably find another gun just as good.

The game overflows with them and none stick in the mind. Ask people the name of their favorite gun in CoD for example.

“Oh the P90, the ACR, the Barrett” they’ll say & tell you why & how it compares to all the others.

Ask the same about Borderlands & all you’ll get is “oh I found this fire spitting shotgun/lightening machine gun” or somesuch. Yeah nice, what was it called? No-one know, cuz no-one cares.

It’s just another gun.

16. DSB

Yeah, this is another one of those things in Borderlands 2 that just doesn’t make any sense.

It’s a loot-and-shoot game, so obviously I just ran up and used my key. I figured they wouldn’t put a big fat golden chest in the middle of the city if it wasn’t gonna be used frequently.

But apparently that’s exactly what they did :P

I think it’s a shame to drag an otherwise great game down a peg by pulling this kind of stunt. Your wallet shouldn’t really make a difference.

17. Phoenixblight

Gearbox gives you a key with their shift code system along with if you have the PC version you can easily get 255 golden keys. It adds nothing to the game just another way to get loot. I have gotten crap guns with the chest.