Bayonetta 2 dev: Wii U exclusivity ‘not intended to alienate fans’

Friday, 14th September 2012 10:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Bayonetta 2 developer Platinum Games has issued a statement following the announcement that the sequel will be a Wii U exclusive. The studio is keen to stress that it doesn’t want to alienate fans of the PS3 and Xbox 360 original by moving to a single format.

Here’s a statement released by Platinum Games’ Tatsuya Minami:

As game developers, we are incredibly excited to be able to announce a new title to all of our fans; however, we are aware that the announcement may have come as a shock to many of you.

As with Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2 is under development and production here at Platinum Games, and is a true sequel to the acclaimed first game in the series. Bayonetta is one of our most beloved titles, and it played a large part in establishing Platinum Games as an emerging game studio in the minds of users worldwide. Bayonetta has fans the world over, and we would never dream of alienating them from participating in the future of Platinum Games.

That being said, the console games market is in a state of upheaval, so establishing a new game franchise requires a considerable amount of will, determination, and love. Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers, so we have continued to consult with Sega, the previous game’s publisher, on how we can make sure this takes place. Our answer was a new partnership with Nintendo.

Along with their new hardware, Nintendo, as a company, is dedicated to establishing a new future for the games industry, as you can tell by their record of passionate support for gaming. Alongside Nintendo, we hope to grow the Bayonetta brand beyond where it stands today, allowing even more gamers around the world to experience the action of our beloved witch. As developers, we are working hard to make this a reality.

Thanks Kotaku.

1. Freek

So their clever plan to establish a stronger franchise is to keep it away from the existing fans? Good job!

/slow clap

2. monkeygourmet

Someone needed to put a ring on it, thats all

3. viralshag

Well then at this point they can only hope that the WiiU sells (which I’m starting to think it will) and there will be enough WiiU owners interested in buying the game.

It still seems like a very odd move to me. As #1 said, you’ve pretty much abandoned any fan that doesn’t want/can’t afford to get a WiiU.

4. Telepathic.Geometry

Yeah, it’s weird. If they were developing it for Wii U too, this statement would make sense. You want to bring it to lots of people? Make it multi-platform. Excluding the very platforms that you released the original on is crazy…

True statement: Nintendo offered us sacks of cash to make this game exclusive, so that’s why. /low voice – Don’t worry though, we’ll make it multi-platform somewhere down the line.

5. Dragon246

So true.

6. monkeygourmet

Aren’t Nintendo publishing though?

I can’t see this being multi platform, then again, Sony fans said that about FF on 360.

Nothing was stopping Sony or MS from doing a similar thing

7. TheBlackHole

“That being said, the console games market is in a state of upheaval, so establishing a new game franchise requires a considerable amount of will, determination, and love”

…and money.

8. The_Red

At first, I saw the whole thing as a negative. Seriously, Bayonetta 2 is a game that I MUST have.
    Then I started to look at it from a different angle.

Platinum games is having a rather great relationship with Nintendo. Wonderful 101 and now Bayonetta 2. Could Platinum become the new “Old Rare”? A semi independent dev who made dark and M rated titles for the big N along with classic E ones?
    If that’s the case, I hope MS never EVER gets its hands on Platinum.

9. Superfrog

I think Platinum are glad that they found a publisher for the sequel AT ALL. First and foremost (and rather than complaining), fans should be happy that they finally have secured a publishing deal after all.

10. monkeygourmet

@8 & 9

Exactly, people still complain.

They should be happy it’s being released at all…

11. RandomTiger

Looks like the original didn’t sell enough to get publishers on board.
    Nintendo must be putting money in, its probably as simple as this is the only way for it to get made in the short term.

12. The_Red

@10 I think complaining here is a bit fair since fans got to enjoy the original on PS3 / 360.

With that said, if relationship between big N and Platinum continues the way the partnership between Rare and N did back in the days of SNES and N64, then not only I won’t be complaining anymore, I will actually become a Nintendo fan after eons (First and the last time I was their fun was during the height of their more edge N64 games from Turok to Rare’s masterpieces like Conker and Perfect Dark.

13. NeoSquall

“Bayonetta is a brand that we want to see become stronger, reaching the hands of more and more gamers”
    - They make the game exclusive for one platform

“so we have continued to consult with Sega, the previous game’s publisher, on how we can make sure this takes place.”
    - The same publisher that had to shrink its business because it was losing too much money, effectively cutting any possibility of funding any sequel for the games released during the first PG-Sega contract

Really, Platinum Games has made all the possibly worst moves they could, and I hope they don’t expect all the fans to purchase a WiiU just for their game, or either to have many sales among the Mario and Metroid fans.
    Of course I know that maybe Nintendo was the only publisher willing to fund a sequel to Bayonetta, but I really hope this exclusivity is just about the publishing rights on the WiiU, leaving open the possibility to have a port for PS3/360 with another publisher.
    Even then, my trust in PG has been further hampered by the emptiness of this statement.

14. stealth

Sega cancelled the games you butt hurt people ^

nintendo saved the game

trolls are ridiculous

15. OlderGamer

Stealth is right.

And just because you guys haven’t looked at Nintendo as a core system in this current gen of consoles, doesn’t make the company or their system anti core. The fact is Wii sold a mega ton of units. And the fact is that many of us here bought one.

Had the Wii been home to more games like Bayonetta, would your opinion of the system been different?

Because THAT is what Nintendo is aiming for.

People acuse me of being a fanboy all of the time. Crazy. I am not one of those people that will avoid a system, esp when it obviously has games on it, I would enjoy. One good game doesn’t make a system a must buy for most people. But if one, then two, then more great games start lining up, that should be your clue to stop being a fanboy and play the games you want to play.

16. loveaya

This is totally bull-shit. Just tell everyone how much Nintendo has paid~

17. OlderGamer

@loveaya And you think it works differently on other systems how? Your don’t think MS have a “relationship” reguarding Gears? Or with Bungie? How about Sony and insomniac? Fact is, games are a bizz. And this is often how the bizz works. Platforms work to secure games that gamers want to play in hopes that gamers will play them on their systems.

No need to hate.

18. Da Man

Although, it would take a lot to convince me that this videogame won’t be coming to PS3/360 after the sales disasters like Madworld.

19. LuLshuck

Nintendo: Look, we got Bayonetta 2.

Nintendo critics: Noooo! I want to play it on my system choice!

20. absolutezero

When did Bayonetta get so many fans?

If I remember it never exactly set the charts of fire when it came out.

21. bitsnark

Neither did Mirror’s Edge, but I guess it was just one of those games (like Mirror’s Edge) that gradually built a cult following after release.

22. stretch215

I couldn’t care less about this game. I don’t get the hype.

23. zinc

Seems like guys who ignored the origional, are really pissed they can’t ignore the sequal on PS360.

24. NeoSquall

@15 Although I’d like to see how many of these fuckton Wii sold aren’t just taking dust somewhere in a closet, I still don’t think my opinion about the system would change, because Nintendo still wouldn’t try and market them to the public.
    Nintendo image may have been trustworthy as “core” in the past but the Wii, with its load of casual and childish “games”, has tarnished this image almost without salvation.
    WiiU may help resurrect the “core” perception of Nintendo among the masses by proposing mature games with enhanced feature (like the new UI option in Batman: Arkham City and the backpack and secondary UI in ZombiU), but stealing a multiplatform IP like Bayonetta and making it a platform exclusive is not the right way.

@18 Yeah, I almost forgot about MadWorld.
    This is all the more strange because PG already knew Nintendo didn’t care about their game and didn’t market it enough.

25. ManuOtaku

I think this send a pretty clear message to the core/avid gamer crowd, now we want to get your attention, we are going to aim for the core/avid gamers like in the NES/SNES days, in this gen and in the past, they didnt made a move like this so sooner in the lifecycle, so i think the message is there, and i think there will be a lot of core/avid gamers that will be interested and listening to this, i think this is an smart move, not for the game or anything, just for the message.

#19 LOL so true.

26. Freek

Trying to buy your way into “hardcore street cred” by snapping up a cult game is rather cynical. And it means it’s no longer a multiplatform game. When a franchise launches on a system as an exclusive, nobody cares. But when it’s no longer availebel everywhere where it previously was is when people get anoyed.

If this was a next gen console, I doubt the reaction would be so negative, people would be looking to upgrade anyway. But for everybody who already owns an X360 or PS3 the Wii U has little to offer.

27. ManuOtaku

#26 i got the feeling if it wanst for nintendo, i mean picking it up the publishing efforts, the game will not be done, i think thanks to them we are having this game, i dont see the bad in that, is better this than nothing at all.
    p.s also a bayonetta fan could wait for the WiiU price drop in the years to follow, wait for a couple of more interesting games on the console, and then it wouldnt be a bad move for them, i suppose.

28. Freek

The game being on Wii U is the same as not having the game at all. It’s like making it for Xbox 360/PS3 and then pricing it at 360 dollars.

29. ManuOtaku

#28 like i say a bayoneta fan could wait a couple of years with a price drop, and a couple of more games than interest that said person, and it wouldnt be a bad move, of course keeping in mind if that person dont mind brands at all, just the games he/she likes to play.

“It’s like making it for Xbox 360/PS3 and then pricing it at 360 dollars”

That will be true if the console would not have any other game never ever, but is not the case, so all the console cost should be distributed to all the games that person will have some sort of interest in.

30. zinc

@28, $299, if you read the Reggie interview.

31. Freek

Yeah, and the game costs 60 dollars….

32. monkeygourmet

Punch Out
    Zack and Wiki
    Trauma Center
    Recident Evil Chronicles
    Dead Space Extraction
    Muramasa

Plus loads more and countless Wiiware games…

People who keep ragging on the Wii for being a kids console are missing out on some truely great games just because of weird stubborn behaviour.

Same thing will prob happen with Wii U, but i suppose that leaves a lot of the Douche nozzles off the online space…

33. ManuOtaku

#32 Monkey you forgot little king story, how could you?, i should never, ever forgave you ;), and a few like deadly creatures, shiren the wanderer, House of the dead overkill, batallion wars wii, fragile, monster hunter tri,tatsunoko vs capcom, red steel 2, fire emblem radiant dawn among others, the list is hughe, but yes wii has no games at all.

34. monkeygourmet

Sorry, my hand got tired typing in all those amazing games! ;)

35. Freek

Nintendo’s games on the Wii were excelent, Mario Galaxy is amazing. But the third party stuff? Not so much. “Charmingly broken” would be a good way of puting it. Stuff like Mad World and No More Heroes, you can see the fun styling and character but the actual gameplay wasn’t all that fun.

36. OlderGamer

“I’m going to ignore every N system from now on just because old men on the internet convinced me.”

Does that mean you will ignore every Nintendo thread too? Because you have been doing such a great job of that so far…

Oh and if I may, what is old to you? I know a lot of these readers are in their 30s and 40s. You can call me old if ya like, I earned the greys in my beard. Every single one.

37. ManuOtaku

OG “I earned the greys in my beard. Every single one”
    Hell Yeah… and proudly wearing them too :), I know i do.

38. OlderGamer

@Freek, but if Nintendo adresses that, isn’t that a good thing? And having Aliens, DS2, CoD BLOPsII, and Bayonetta2 all announced at launch time would seem like a good nod in that direction. Wouldn’t it?

I mean:

“Nintendo critics: I’m tired of Mario and Zelda, give us some original IPs and better 3rd party support.

Nintendo: Look, we got Bayonetta 2.

Nintendo critics: Noooo! I want to play it on my system choice!”

Pretty much sums it up. People that don’t want to like Nintendo, won’t. To them it isn’t about the games at all. It is just about the name on the box.

lol, exactly Manu. ;)

39. Da Man

No, that means I’ll be posting twice as much.

It’s rather aggravating to see the same people who were babbling about the lack of relevance and replay value, as well as angsty nonsensical style on Bayonetta’s part.. only too see them using the product to write even more deluded essays about their toy idol.

You know what will be funny? To see you go the way of tea when this thing fails with flying colors. The irony.

Just my 2 cents. I’m just a nice guy.

40. ManuOtaku

#39 well in reality is 4 cents now you posted twice here, iam counting ;)

41. OlderGamer

“It’s rather aggravating to see the same people”

So don’t read it.

42. Cangriman

I don’t see anything wrong. We are looking at this as a gamers standpoint, but what about the developer point of view. What if PG want to make a sequel but Sega or even the platforms that you guys are defending so much didn’t want to spend because they didn’t saw any potential, and the only one with guts was Nintendo.

Seeing as it wasn’t Microsoft publishing this game, that says a lot. They love to throw money for exclusive and I don’t think they will missed a opportunity to grab this so that means they didn’t saw it as a big thing. But that is my speculation…

43. absolutezero

It’s rather aggravating to see the same people saying the samething in the same way to the same people endlessly.

Tell me about it.

44. Da Man

So don’t read it.

Just my 2 cents.

45. OlderGamer

lol next DM is going to hold his hands over his ears, shut his eyes, and say: “I know you are, but what am I?”, while shaking his head.

46. Clupula

This is an absolute bullshit statement. “Expanding” your audience means including the original audience too. This is basically, “Fuck you. You want to continue the series? Fork over $400.”

47. ManuOtaku

#43 absolute “It’s rather aggravating to see the same people saying the samething in the same way to the same people endlessly”

To tell you the truth i dont mind that at all, what i do mind is how this is use, i mean defending your ideals, opinions, etc in a good manner and in a very polite conversation, i think is ok and fine, i know i fit under that description defending nintendo or my crazy ideals, but doing it in a bad way, constantly attacking others, haunting posters, etc, in that case i agree with you 100%.

48. i.hate.tabloid.journalism

˙ɹǝɥʇo ɥɔɐǝ sɐ pɐq sɐ llɐ ǝɹ,noʎ

49. OlderGamer

Would you still feel that way Clupula if the sequel was on a XBNXT or PS4? After all, if you wanted to continue you would still have to buy new hardware?

I think your just ticked because it happens to be on a Nintendo system.

50. Da Man

Keep tellin’ yourself that, old man.

Keep tellin’

51. ManuOtaku

#48 that remind me the joke, in the Rob Schneider series, when the wife family was talking in spanish, and the wife ask him do you want cofee?, and he said i want mine with cream and subtitles :)

52. NeoSquall

@26 Actually, the WiiU is a “next-gen console”, moreover it’s the first 8th gen home console, while the PS Vita and the 3DS are the first two 8th gen handheld consoles.

@32 Of all the titles you listed I just remember Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Donkey Kong Country, Skyward Sword and Xenoblade being actually marketed by Nintendo. The latter wasn’t even to be released outside Japan in the first place…

Anyway I was talking about MadWorld because it’s been developed by Platinum Games and sold even less that Bayonetta and Vanquish because it had close to 0 media exposure.

@46 Exactly my sentiment.

53. Cangriman

Have you guys seem this?

So much hate for Nintendo and PG right now… Its funny really.

54. NeoSquall

@49 I myself wouldn’t mind if the game was on the next Xbox or PlayStation, on the condition that it wasn’t an exclusive (giving me the chance to choose what console to buy from the rest of the line-up) and that it was worth the purchase of a new console (flashier visuals, new features unavailable on PS3/360, etc.).

55. Clupula

The Wii U is far from a next-gen system. It’s like the Dreamcast was “current-gen.5″

Little better than the current gen systems (although I still suspect all that extra memory is going to be used to make that stupid tablet controller work) but going to have its ass handed to it by the next-gen systems.

56. Clupula

@49 – there’s a difference. This is still a current gen game. The Wii U does nothing the PS3 and 360 can’t do. I would hope that any games that end up on PS4/720 are games that couldn’t work, at the very least, graphically, on the PS3/360.

What I find amusing about this statement is that the
    whole “growing our audience” excuse was what developers used to say when people questioned why they’d make an exclusive game multiplatform. At least, there, it made sense. This is just absolute bullshit.

57. NeoSquall

@53 I’m more disgusted by the commenters gloating indiscriminately because they finally have a game that the PS3/360 gamers can’t have because it’s exclusive to their console.

@55 WiiU is a 8th gen console and it’s going to compete with the next Sony and MS consoles in the same way the Wii did in the 7th, by releasing games with inferior graphics (compared by their predicted rivals’ features), unable to use the next engines like the UE4 and the Luminous Engine.

58. Clupula

Nevermind. Don’t want to publicize the weak. Ignore this comment.

59. Clupula

@57 – I still don’t consider the Wii a 7th gen system. But I agree with what you said the results will be.

60. OlderGamer

But Neo, I was talking about it being published by one of the platform holders: ie Nintendo, Sony or MS. Because it seems to me that Nintendo was the only one willing to invest in the game.

“giving me the chance to choose what console to buy from the rest of the line-up”

What line up? We can’t begrudge a studio for selling their game. Not every game is going to be multi plat. But if all 3rd parties were multiplat, then I ask what line up? Because it seems to me that we are moving towards a game space where the mega publishers can hand pick what lives and dies. If a major 3rd party pub(like EA, Acti, THQ, Sega, UBI, etc) doesn’t pick up a game…what chance does the studio have to sell it? And of the pubs I listed most of those guys are in poor financial shape.

I applaud Nintendo for picking this game up. I hope it sells like hot cakes,(my 16yr old son loves it, so I will buy it for him to play). Maybe this studio can work with Nintendo to bring some fresh game flavour to the WiiU fold.

It just is what it is.

What choice did PG have?

I bet if Sony offered to put the game on PS3, do a Vita port, and ink a two game deal for the franchise on PS4, PG would have signed. But that didn’t happen.

If you want the game, put it on a list. When that list of WiiU games gets big enough for you to justify the systems purchase, buy one. That is how this is ‘possed to work. Love Halo? Buy a Xbox, Love Uncharted, buy a PS3. You can’t get pissed at MS because they worked with bungie all of those years to build up Halo instead of Halo being on a Sony system.

61. Clupula

@53 – it’s funny because there are people bragging about getting a game they didn’t give a shit about until yesterday. And they probably still won’t buy it, unless out of spite.

62. ManuOtaku

Theres some people still saying the WiiU is current gen, if you compare for example the 512mb ram of the ps3/360 with 2GB of the wiiU,thats not on the same level, adding the 1080p and 60fps, man i am not tech savy but its clearly aprox. 4 times more, which is not current, is a decent leap an improvement if you like, but hasnt anything to do with current, that is not true, it doens matter how many times you will repeat it.

63. Da Man

If this was a PC multiplayer shooter coming to PS3/360, the same fanbois would be here, whining about hardcore toys being dumbed down for the casual audience. (Despite them using nothing but assault rifle and a warthog)

Hypocrisy has no bounds.

64. monkeygourmet

Of course he is.

Spoilt brat attitude, if I can’t have it, no one can…

65. Cangriman

@61- I never played the first one, not because I didn’t like it, I love DmC. But my PS3 was more down than working, still right now is collecting dust until I fixed it and buy a new slim one so I can transfer all my game saved data. Hoping for a very good deal at Black Friday. All I have been playing are retro games.

Well look at it this way, now the game is more hype than before. Who knows… probably now it will sell even better. If they can released this in the launch window, there is a good chance it will sell like pancakes.

66. ManuOtaku

You know that deep down inside they will want this to flop now, if it was on sony or microsoft consoles, they will cheer for success, but now that is on WiiU or a nintendo console for that matter, they will cheer for its doom, nice to see how we gamers are, we dont mind games only brand, we should be called brandgamers instead of videogamers, that will be more fitting.

67. NeoSquall

@60 “Most of the bitching really boils down to a certian demographic of the game comunity feeling that Nintendo systems are not “Real” systems, and as such they don’t want to deal with games being on that system that they themselves might want to play.”

Nope, it boils down to Nintendo insisting on delivering consoles with old hardware (compared to its contemporaries) and putting almost all of its marketing efforts on Mario, Zelda and casual games.

Again, I acknoledge that Nintendo was probably the only people “crazy enough” to fund a sequel to Bayonetta, but making it a platform exclusive (whatever platform it is) is downright unfair to the original customers.

68. ManuOtaku

#67 old hardware? current consoles have 512 MB vs 2GB of ram of the WiiU, is aprox. 4 times more, how that can be considered old?, the only way is doing a comparision with PC, but consoles did never have or never will catch up with PC, unbelievable the distance so gamers go to discredit a product.

69. Da Man

I just want something old man likes to flop ;) For the sole reason that he’s talking shit.

ManuO, you really shouldn’t overcomplicate something that simple.

70. NeoSquall

@68 Let’s wait and see what the next PlayStation and Xbox will have under their chassis, then I will come here and gloat at you for comparing the WiiU to the wrong competitors.
    Trust me, I’ll do it.

71. ManuOtaku

#70 Iam not arguing that, i know they will up the power for sure, and i will be happy for that, but that has anything to do to call the WiiU now old tech, maybe two years down the line it will be true, but now is false.
    p.s and dont worry i will be here God Willingly, and i will be happy just as you will be with the next Sony and Microsoft systems, iam an avid gamer that loves games, not brands.

72. monkeygourmet

That won’t be for at least a year…

Until that time Wii U will be the most powerful console.

At that point I think I’ll have been able to save up enough pennies and buy one of those aswell if I want…

Man, do you haters really limit yourself like this with everything in your lives?!

Bad, bad frame of mind.

So many people with their blinkers on its unreal.

73. NeoSquall

@71 Actually it’s still old tech compared to the average PC nowadays, but that’s not the point.
    Or is it?
    @72 Sorry monkeygourmet, not every gamer has a stable job, a good pay and enough money to buy all the consoles and the games they want.
    Some gamers have to make binding choices on what console they can buy and what games to pick.

74. OlderGamer

“but making it a platform exclusive (whatever platform it is) is downright unfair to the original customers.”

Why? Where was it written or implied that if you buy game one on said console, that games two thru game 4 need to be on the same console?

It really does boil down to hate. Bias. And fanboyism.

Nintendo makes hardware they do because they make money on selling it. If they made higher tech hardware, sold it at a loss and they would have to hope for the best. That isn’t very good bizz sense. Nintendo doesn’t sell TVs or Operating software to help keep their games dept afloat.

Nintendo is only about games.

If Nintendo doesn’t make hardware that can make them money and then sell software for it, they would go out of bizz. They lost money for the first time when they had to reduce the price of 3DS. They have to make money selling hardware. Period.

The hardware isn’t old tech. It is new tech. Just has precieved lower benchmarks then you think it should.

“Actually it’s still old tech compared to the average PC nowadays”

Just like XBNXT/PS4 will have old tech, by the same standards.

Just don’t expect CGI level graphics from MS or Sony s next gen offerings either.

75. zinc

@70, Yes, bookmark this page. Then when the PS360 are announced you can say “aha! Told you so!”.

You will look so cool. Double rainbow trust me.

76. ManuOtaku

#73 NEO like i said consoles never had surpassed PC and probably, theres a big chance they never will, so why compare it to PC? it will be a never ending cycle, it is an open hardware vs a close hardware, really that is not a fair comparision for consoles IMHO, we should keep this between consoles all of them are close devices, they share that, with PC not so much.

77. Da Man

Just like XBNXT/PS4 will have old tech, by the same standards

Yes let’s compare something which will be severely dated on arrival with something which will not be top notch.

Someone is so full of it Reggie is complaining.

78. OlderGamer

Also, answer this one:

Why do you have to have the highest graphical benchamrks possible? Because I hate to remind you of this but your talking about consoles(either Nintendo or MS or Sony). None of them are going to out tech a PC. So if it is all truely about Tech, or you are somehow offended by lesser tech, you should be gaming exclusivly on a PC.

I am a PC gamer first and foremost.

But I still play my consoles, from retro to my xb360 and ps3 systems.

So long as the WiiU games are fun to play, who cares about anything else? I don’t.

79. Da Man

PC has more games than PS3, but PS3 has more games than WiiU.

So you should buy a PC if you really are concerned with the amount of games.

Thanks for the logic, genius.

tl;dr: PC/Ninty zealots are the worst.

80. ManuOtaku

#77 Da man LOL i knew someone will say something like that, but i wasnt expecting it from you, truth be told, OG we need to become robots while posting and choose the right words, i almost did that mistake :), this guys are mercyless :), they will grab everything they can.

81. Cangriman

@67- You sound very selfish. If you acknowledge that Nintendo was probably the only one to fund the sequel to a game that probably wouldn’t have seen the day of light, why are you faulting Nintendo for it. You should be at Sony and Microsoft’s door for not funding the game, if they wanna it multiplat. Nintendo can’t publish a game and expect it to appear on other consoles…

82. absolutezero

lol consoles.

83. monkeygourmet

I understand that, but I wouldn’t blindly hate on a company if I had limited finances, that’s an awful way to look at things.

I think we maybe have 2 groups of people here.

Not sure about the age groups of average posters (I’m 31), but i remember having much more brand loyalty when I was at school and couldn’t afford a new console.

Why would you hate on something that could be beneficial to the games industry which in turn, can strengthen all 3 platforms?!

84. Ireland Michael

lolconsolewars

85. absolutezero

I remember drawing pictures of Sonic jumping on Mario and sending them to Sonic the Comic when I was 10.

Mega Drive 4 Life.

86. monkeygourmet

Damn you!!!

I drew mario doing the subzero fatality on sonic! Child psychologist said I had anger issues, but also agreed that mario was better! ;)

87. ManuOtaku

Dave next time you do a nintendo topic thread put at the end of your post, LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE followed by a countdown :)

88. absolutezero

2fast4u monkey

89. ManuOtaku

You know at some point in my life (when i was younger) i did prefer sonic as a character, but that was until i played mario 64.

90. monkeygourmet

Did you also have a Cyber Razor Cut? ;)

91. NeoSquall

@74 MS aside, I wouldn’t say that Sony is keeping up its gaming branch with the money from TV and others, much like the other way around.
    Taking risks when developing a new console is part of what might make a platform successfull or a failure.
    Nintendo has stopped learning since they released the Wii and the DS, because their successive products have kept the flaws of their precursors, i.e. the 3DS with only 1 thumbstick and the WiiU having hardware only slightly better than the current gen.

Yes, I’m offended by the lesser tech Nintendo is releasing in the latest generations because it effectively secludes their players from the greater gaming community, making an almost impossible job for developers to develop games on par with the concurrent gen systems now (how many multiplat games have had a similar or decent enough port on the Wii?) and in the future with the next gaming systems.

I’m not a fanboy, I actually want the gamers from all the system to have a similar experience, with the occasional platform exclusive born from IPs created by the hardware makers themselves, which Bayonetta IS NOT.

@75 :heylookwehaveabadasshere.jpg:

92. lexph3re

Lol im sorry monkey i gotta help u out here cause no ones saying anything to you about it. Ps360 has 512mb of ram and Wii U has 2gb. Now, there is approximately 1024mb in 1gb and 2048 in 2gbs that means in total RAM(Random Access Memory) now they have it split 1gb for system and 1gb for game. Which means that the console will have smoother transitions when accessing to and from the 2 Not that it will process games better that is a task for the CPU/GPU.

If you were to take an old laptop with an old graphics card and add more RAM it will not play the new games better just because you increased the RAM.

The processor in the Wii U is what people are calling old because the processor is equivalent to pretty much the ps360s slightly better than 360s qnd potentially on par with Ps3s. This is why a lot of people call it old hardware recycled in a new design.

As far as we know with 1gb of actual memory towards the games and having to emulate to the controller the games may(which we do see them looking) look petty much exactly like os360 graphics meaning that by the time its true competitors hit market it will be as inferior as what was once its predecessors

93. monkeygourmet

Did you hear about the Wii60… or the PSWii?

Of course it’ll pale in comparison to next gen consoles, a lot of people will buy them aswell and run the Wii U alongside. I know I will.

As it stands, it’s still new ‘tech’ to me. Unless your the most powerful thing on release, that doesn’t mean its old tech! So many nitpicking snobs around here…

The new iPhone 5 is prob already less powerful than other mobiles and that hasn’t been released yet. That doesn’t mean it’s old tech unless you want to really over analyse things that don’t matter…

The pad to game function is ‘new’ tech for consoles…

If you buy the pad separately it’s £100, take that price off the console, it’s about £120, same as the 360. What’s the problem, it’s not like they are trying to fool you, it’s just they don’t care.

Why don’t you think they bothered releasing the specs till now?

94. OlderGamer

“Failure is the worst part of the business, but it helps the company learn from their mistakes and make better products in the future.
    Nintendo has stopped learning since they released the Wii and the DS,”

But Nintendo was wildly sucsessful with both Wii and DS.

I think there is a limit to what features should be put in a box. I am not argueing against a second thumb stick or anything. But I am point out that with Nintendo miniumist approach with DS/3DS they clobbered much more tech laden offerings from Sony. Just as an example.

I think that if gamers where to sit down and make a whish list of features that they would like to see in a system, that list wouldn’t always be feasible. For a couple of reasons. One being price point.

Given the strong Yen vs USD/EU it is prolly leading the WiiU to sell for a good 50usd more then it otherwise could. I think this will also be a problem for PS4, and I believe it is the reason we haven’t seen a Vita price cut.

In simple mans terms more tech in the box will raise the price of the box. Any guesses as to the launch price of PS4? I can only offer you a guess, but mine is 500usd to 700usd. Likly multi SKUs, starting at 500usd and up.

And that for a system that, when it launches, will have 4-5 year old PC tech in the box. Likly that MS will have similer tech, but I don’t know if the currency rates will effect MS, maybe due to where the systems are manufactered. maybe, I don’t know.

“Although the expense of manufacturing the controller is a major part of the cost of Wii U, the real reason for the console’s price point is the Yen exchange rate. We’ve talked about this in the past, but it bears reiterating – the exceptionally strong Yen, whose value has grown by around two-thirds since the start of the last console generation, is seriously limiting the pricing options of both Sony and Nintendo. Without the Yen’s appreciation, the Wii U could certainly afford to be at least $50 cheaper in the USA – a much more appealing launch price.”

I figure the same type of situation plays into the Sony launch.

Why does that matter here?

Because it comes down to price point. And profit. If Nintendo goes with higher tech the price goes up. So they either raise the price of the system and/or lose money everytime they sell one. Both are bad for Nintendo.

I always used to talk about glass ceilings, this is an example of one of them that I was refering to.

I don’t have any more idea what MS or Sony will do next gen then you guys do. I suspect we are looking at crazy high prices offset with contracts for online services. Like a smart phone. Consoles costs 300usd, but you sign a 2 year data plan/contract for 15usd/month. Total cost of said system is 660usd. Want games with that, lol?

100% wild ass guess. But we can look at what MS is offering with their 100usd arcade/kincet bundle. It has a 2 year agreement for 15usd/month.

My over all point is is people can complain all they want. WiiU is what it is. if your looking at the WiiU as a major advance forward, stop. Walk away. Your not going to be happy with the system.

If your looking at the system for Nintendo 1st party games, a mass market price tag, a unique controler then your prolly going to be happy with the system.

it isn’t going to out PS360 those systems. And I for one am glad. I am tired of the game son those systems. I want new games, fun games, and fresh gameplay experiences. I don’t care how many polys it pushes or what sort of tech benchmarks it has.

“Perhaps this is a reminder to everyone in the industry, that for all the talking we do about hardware and specifications and platforms, this is still ultimately a business that’s about selling games. Nintendo still does that better than almost anyone else. For the fourth time in a row (DS, Wii, 3DS and now Wii U), the industry finds itself having somewhat underestimated the extraordinary talent and market strength of the gaming legend from Kyoto.”

Again: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-14-wii-u-fantastic-games-make-up-for-high-price

Honestly, if you don’t think your interested in WiiU, you prolly aren’t. Move along.

95. Da Man

Wonder how many will actually read that..

96. OlderGamer

I am sure if you keep practicing DM, someday you will be able to read it too.

97. osric90

Good luck with trying to not alienate fans.

98. monkeygourmet

The same fans that complained about the PS3 conversion?

99. lexph3re

Well now you guys are just argueing personal taste into the equation. Its about “fun” games? Games we have now are fun and gamee that will come in the future are fun. Just because its a fat guy doing flips doesn’t mean thats the only “Fun” games that exist.

Monkey you can’t argue its new tech when the tech already exist on the market. You may not like the way to access the tech but it is there already. Meaning what? Wii U uses old tech with the Nintendo “Spin” on it. What will your arguement be when ps3/vita adoption rate increases and you see the same games being made on ps3 and wii U? Will you argue Sony Ripped off Nintendo there then?

Oveall you are argueing with people over your own personal taste but it doesn’t matter because your going to buy whay you want not me or anyone else.

100. monkeygourmet

How often is anything made these days completly new tech?

I think your definition is very literal. For example, Kinect wasn’t new ‘tech’, but it was new when it came to being implemented in gaming…

I think your being too literal. Otherwise, we already know the PS4 and 720 are going to be out of date before they are even released…

Are you seriously telling me everything in the new consoles will be completly newly engineered?

The closest we came to that this gen was the CELL processor and look at the amount of shit that gave devs.

At least this time games should start looking decent ‘out of the box’…

101. viralshag

I don’t get why people think fans of the original game shouldn’t have a reason to be angry about this.

Would you be ok if they turned around and said the next Madworld* would be a PS4 exclusive?

*you can replace that with a better Wii game, I don’t know what was good on the console but you should get the idea.

102. Ireland Michael

@101 Yes, if it’s a good enough game. A Xenoblade Chronicles sequel would have been a better example.

People fail to understand that this game would have been as good as dead if not for this exclusivity deal. It was this or not at all. Criticise Sony or Microsoft for not stepping in themselves sooner to save the game.

103. monkeygourmet

The conversion was shocking on the PS3, so I assume you mean 360 players being upset?

I kind of get where your coming from, it’s just they all had an opportunity to do this too…

Like I said at the start, Nintendo put a ring on it…

So yeah, what Mikey said.

Nintendo haven’t thrown their weight around yet with regards to the new Ip’s thing. They were unable to compete with 360/PS3 power, so now it’ll be interesting seeing devs choices!

Especially with Pokemon money backing them up! ;)

Im happy that Nintendo are even thinking in this way. It can potentially revitalise games that were set to drift in limbo.

104. absolutezero

If Bayonetta was PS3 exclusive or god forbid PC exclusive, no one would give a fuck. Even if it was reversed it would not make a single difference. Look at the games that have been moved and improved to appear on the PS3 like House of the Dead Overkill, No More Heroes and the Resi shooters. No one that owned a Wii and those games already caused an uproar on this scale.

But it’s Nintendo, and it’s cool to hate on Nintendo.

105. freedoms_stain

tbh it would have been better if Platinum had done a Dark Souls style reboot.

Yeah it’s pretty much a “sequel” but not really. It’s not like the actual Bayonetta character is going to be a draw, and really it would have been an opportunity to write some decent less obnoxious characters and story to go along with the kickass gameplay if they’d gone the new IP route.

Not to mention they’d have cut off the fanboy rage from the start.

106. ManuOtaku

#104 absolutezero “Look at the games that have been moved and improved to appear on the PS3 like House of the Dead Overkill, No More Heroes and the Resi shooters. No one that owned a Wii and those games already caused an uproar on this scale”

You forgot dead space extraction and now little king story on vita, by the way a gem of a game, anyone that has a vita should own it, dont let it pass you by; and what you did said is true, but yet we are the fanboys and Zealots, go figure.

107. monkeygourmet

Yep, that about sums it up

108. viralshag

@102 & 103, putting it like that I see what you mean. I bet you the reaction will make Sony and MS consider the idea of throwing money their way a lot more tempting. Might just be a very clever move by PG to try and cause that reaction, if it was, kudos to them.

@104, like you said they moved to other consoles but still had a release in the original, right? So it’s not exactly the same thing. The fact is unless you owned a 360 or PS3, you would never have played the first game. So why is it a big deal to Nintendo fans to get it as an exclusive?

At the end of the day, it’s good for PG and it’s good for people wanting to buy a WiiU but you can’t deny it sucks for everyone else.

109. KL

so much fuss around this sequel we’ve seen nothing about and in which the main game’s creator (Kamiya) isn’t even participating in it’s development.
    In the end you can already tell it will be ported to other systems somewhere down the line

110. Levester

i wish devs werent such pussies. if they’d come out and just admit they sold out, we might have a shred of respect left for them. but with shit PR like this, i honestly dont care for this crappy developer.

111. Phoenixblight

They are a business like previous posters had said without Nintendo stepping up Platinum wouldn’t be making a sequel. SO people can be thankful of that.

Without money games wouldn’t be made and the original didn’t do well enough for anyone to see a sequel coming from it luckily Nintendo stepped up.

112. Maximum Payne

maybe its just time exclusive ?

113. zinc

All this fuss. It’s not like Half-Life 3 has been named as a WiiU exclusive…

Now THAT would be funny :-)

114. NiceFellow

That this is Nintendo saving the title seems clear, so not sure why the hate.

I will say though that PG showed terrible market awareness with the IP in the first place, which I believe led to the title struggling to get a sequel.

They took a game which, by genre/design was sure to sell more on PS3 and decided to make it exclusive to 360. If they’d stuck to plan sales of the first title would have been even lower than they were and you have to wonder if Nintendo would have been tempted to step in at all?

If PG had any market sense (which I’m not sure they do) the first title would have been developed and released day/date for PS3/360 like Vanquish, seen better sales on PS3 than it did due to the actual shoddy port of 360 designed code, and PG might have seen enough combined sales to be releasing number 2 on Wii U, PS3 and 360 thereby increasing the odds of great total sales.

As it is they’ve had to abandon their install base on PS3/360 to get the title a home at all and Nintendo should be seen as rescuers right now.

MS clearly saw the title as a curio of little interest in their core markets while Sony no doubt looked at the poor sales and poor IP image on PS3 due to the bad port. So really it’s thank goodness for Nintendo and PG please give some actual thought to market conditions and demographics when making your choices of platform in future – assuming you get the chance again.

115. viralshag

Now if the WiiU got a Vanquish sequel as an exclusive… I really would be tempted.

116. monkeygourmet

I expect a lot of these type of games to go to the Wii U :)

117. NeoSquall

@114 The problem isn’t Nintendo saving the Bayonetta IP, but locking it as a WiiU exclusive.
    I know we have to be grateful to Nintendo because they saved the IP by funding the sequel and it’s their absolute right to release the game in every platform they want (even the GBA if they want, lol), but it’s still unfair to those, including me, that have purchased the game on PS3/360, and we also have the right to be pissed off.

118. monkeygourmet

Why aren’t you more pissed off with Sony and MS for NOT picking it up?

It’s like dumping your girlfriend, then getting all angry when you see her with another guy…

It sucks, but get over it or become bitter! :)

119. viralshag

@119, a lot of people seem to think fans are mad at Nintendo. They’re just mad it’s not on their platform of choice, which happens to be what the original was on. That’s fair in my opinion.

120. monkeygourmet

I guess, but in reality they prob forked a shit load of cash over.

They need games like this that are floating in limbo to attract the so called ‘hardcore’.

I also hope they get Vanquish 2, God hand 2, New Maximo, F Zero, Wave race U, Kingdom Hearts, Bulletstorm 2, Diablo 3 Exclusive, WOW console edition exclusive, Dark Souls sequel etc.. Etc.. Just to give them a boost and stop people from going on about Nintendo consoles being for kids…

Look how much shit they have got over the launch line up, pricing, old tech comments in the last few days…

I understand people being miffed but it’s just what it is.

You can all come round and play it at mine when it comes out! ;)

121. NiceFellow

@118 I understand that – I have the IP on 360. But I see the issue as really starting with PG’s own poor market sense in the first place. So far as I can see it was this or nothing. Might well mean I don’t get to play it as I’m not sold on a Wii U yet not sure to get one. But I see the real issue as how the game was originally launched and managed.

I’d rather it was on PS3 or 360 as I have those and wouldn’t need to invest in a new system to get access to it, but I understand it’s not Nintendo’s fault it’s ended up either exclusive to them or nowhere.

The sad fact is the first title was best on 360 and I just don’t think MS were at all interested in the IP to protect it. They messed up on PS3 where it could at least have done better, particularly in Japan where the obvious preferred platform would be PS3, and soured the IP on the platform.

Now it’s been picked up as scraps going spare by Nintendo.

Shame but not really Nintendo’s fault. More so PG themselves, MS for lack of interest and perhaps Sony for not trying to rescue an idea title for PS3 – although given PG shunned the platform originally I kind of understand that one too.

122. NeoSquall

@119 I’m not pissed at Sony or MS because they weren’t the original publishers of the game on their consoles, Sega published the first Bayonetta and gave PG the hint to seek aid at Nintendo to publish the sequel.

If you think about it, all the 4 games developed by PG under the publishing contract with SEGA (MadWorld, Infinite Space, Bayonetta, Vanquish) have had piss poor “official” media exposure, a consequence of Sega not believing enough in the games on the first place, I might add. It’s obvious that the games didn’t sell enough/what they deserved, since the people that could be interested but didn’t follow close enough the media weren’t even aware the games existed.

It’s been PG’s ill move to listen to SEGA (who tarnished their first games potential sales with their inaction) and not seeking advice from other fellow japanese publishers like Konami (with whom they’re actually co-developing MGRising) or Capcom.

P.S.: I have Bayonetta on PS3 and I don’t think it’s a bad/shoddy port, I just installed the game on the HD and got a blast with it.

123. SplatteredHouse

SEGA have been not great to PG. Self-serving Nintendo may be disastrous. Vanquish should be on PC by now. There’s no exclusivity to mess around with, and with a more powerful machine running it, the result (done with a bit of care) could be outstanding.

124. Da Man

Nintendo ‘saved’ this videogame in the same way Bethesda ‘saved’ Fallout.

125. NeoSquall

@124 “Vanquish being a shitty single player shooter would only sell to Rapidshare customers on PC.”

Bullshit. Vanquish is a good game and it would sell well even on PC, at budget price (14,99 Euros/19,99 Euros).

126. Da Man

Yes, a SP only shooter, targeted highly at JP, bombed on both consoles and would sell well enough on PC.

Right..

127. monkeygourmet

It’s hard enough trying to sell PC exclusives to PC owners…

128. mrmike2012

Wow this is being blown way out proportion. PG doesn’t owe the original fans jack-shit. You bought the first game you enjoyed it, whether it was on your precious Xbox 360 or your PS3. Now it has moved on to another platform, deal with it. if you guys are true fans of the original you will be excited that the sequel is finally coming out, regardless of what platform it was on. I bet if the shit came out for the 360 as an exclusive you guys wouldn’t be saying shit. This brand loyalty is making our society fucking retarded.

129. Da Man

Exactly, if it wasn’t on a Nintendo one, old men would keep on nagging about Dante’s Inferno being superior.

Utterly retarded and aggravating :(

130. absolutezero

What exactly is so fucking bad about missing one single fucking video game?

The vitriol being spewed is completely out of proportion to the cause, its fucking laughable.

131. G1GAHURTZ

Soooo… Sony goes for games like GTA and MGS (in the past).

MS gets timed exclusivity on CoD.

And what does Nintendo do?

Forks out for exclusivity on some game that sold about 2 million copies, even after getting high reviews.

Interesting…

132. absolutezero

It just hit me that it might be that PS3/360 owners are getting DmC while the WiiU customers are going to get Bayonetta 2, this might go someway to explain the rage.

Interdasting.

133. Cangriman

For those who think this game is going to also appear down the line for PS3/360, please sit down while you wait. This game is been funded and published by Nintendo, so I know they are going to make sure it doesn’t appear no where else, and PG doesn’t want to ruin the relationship with Nintendo. And if this sells well, expect Bayonetta 3 to be also exclusive for Nintendo console. And you know Nintendo is going to market this game like crazy.

134. absolutezero

What if guys. What would you do? Stab someone?

135. zinc

I wonder if Ninja Theory are pitching Ninty with a Enslaved 2 exclusivity deal, right about now?

Pretty much the same situation.

136. Kabby

No, it is not the same situation.

137. zinc

@136, Well reviewed game, sold very poorly. Was multiplat, could easily go exclusive if money put up for it.

Obviously it’s not *exactly* the same situation, hence the *pretty much* at the beginning of said sentence.

138. absolutezero

Feels good man.

139. Clupula

Nintendo can have Enslaved 2. The first one was shit.

140. Moonwalker1982

This is kinda offtopic but not entirely. Will Wii U have cross-chat?

141. zinc

@140, Well it’s got the RAM for it I would think and I’m sure its got a videochat function… Though crossgame? Ermm…

142. Ireland Michael

@131 Personally, I’ll take quality over quantity any day.

Anyway, GTA and MGS are terrible examples. They were on the PS2 because, at the time, it was the only console that really mattered, with a consumer share three to four times larger than any of the competing consoles. If anything, it was Microsoft that tried to get Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid onto the Xbox, which met with fairly limited success.

MGS4 stayed on the PS3 because of Kojima’s self-inflated ego. Konami obviously wasn’t stupid enough to make that mistake twice, looking at Ground Zeroes. I can’t wait to see how many discs can comes on on the 360. Five? Six?

I’ll respect any company willing to support quality any day of the week, and Bayonetta is the highest quality gameplay of this entire console generation bar none. It deserves a sequel, lucrative financial success or not.

143. Clupula

@140 – With how filtered the Miiverse (god, what a stupid fucking name that is) will be, do you think Nintendo are going to want people talking freely like that?

144. absolutezero

GTA has always been on the PC alongside all the console releases, until this current generation of course.

145. Dragon246

Well , this issue is debated uselessly. Every system has exclusives. I loved Bayonetta, sad to see next one being wiiu exclusive, but I don’t blame devs for it. Every one has to make money, they aren’t doing it for charity. Ninty gave them money to make it exclusive, they did it, plain and simple. What’s wrong with that?
    Although I doubt it will be anything more than a timed exclusive at best, as 3rd party exclusives cost a shit ton of money.

146. Dark

Wow , check this out

This is just pathetic. (and no i’m not even a Nintendo fan)

147. freedoms_stain

@146, what a fool.

148. Phoenixblight

You still need those stupid friend codes for playing with friends and stuff just like the wii.

You don’t know that. The amount of ram need to transfer the info between the controller and the system would be half the ram that comes on the system. Then it comes to how much the OS needs and then how well the games and system is optimized.

149. monkeygourmet

There is no cross game chat.

At the moment, you link up via friend codes.

Then, if your playing Mariokart for example, and you hit me with a red shell… If I say: ‘Shit, you got me!’,

The voice message gets wired to Miyamoto’s home address where he can decide wether or not he thinks that’s a fair comment and not offensive.

After that, he checks my profile and cross checks that with my 3ds profile to ensure I’m not a spam bot.

After he checks this, he sends me a small Rorschach test to complete on the Wii U pad and asks me to place my penis in the vitality sensor.

After checking the stats on this using his 3d brain training game on the Virtual Boy, he checks to ensure I’m not a paedophile.

When all this is done, he puts on his power glove and plays the message for your collection.

On a good day, you get the message on the release of the next Mario Kart game.

150. Phoenixblight